Devialet Chat
Devialet Dialog - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Devialet Dialog (/Thread-Devialet-Dialog)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Devialet Dialog - madumm - 14-Jan-2015

Quick question, does dialog playback DSD file like DSF or DFF?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Devialet Dialog - Charlemagne - 14-Jan-2015

(14-Jan-2015, 00:34)madumm Wrote: Quick question, does dialog playback DSD file like DSF or DFF?

Quick answer: I guess not. May be after an upgrade in the future this will be possible. Same goes for MQA. 

Devialet Dialog - LBameule - 14-Jan-2015

Is it Dialog who "plays" the files? The way I understood things is that it acts as some kind of server pulling and pushing the file from where it's stored to the device that actually plays and, therefore, decodes it. This should be especially so if the connection between Dialog and player (the "Expert" Dev in our case) is a digital one. If it is analog, obviously the Dialog is the one who decodes... But probably I'm wrong...

Cheers!

L

MBPro 2008 > Dev 120 > KEF LS50. Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina.

RE: Devialet Dialog - Charlemagne - 14-Jan-2015

@LBameule: I guess you are right. In my understanding the Dialog is more like a 'streaming bridge'. It's task is to pick up the files from the internet or the NAS (as soon as UpNP is implemented) or even from an external digital source and send them to the Phantom or the Dev expert. In the amp or the all-in-one device the D-A decoding will take place. The Dialog is fully working in the digital domain. It kind of replaces a pc or Apple computer with it's streaming software installed on it. For the moment the output to the Dev expert is limited to the USB protocol. After firmware updates AIR (WiFi either ethernet) might be active as well in the future. To the Phantom the Dialog can send the  music files in various ways (WiFi, ethernet etc). The onboard DAC in the Phantom or the Dev amp does the conversion to analog.

RE: Devialet Dialog - madumm - 14-Jan-2015

As it claims in the site that they play all files, and I guess it does decode DSD and streams out likely PCM (24/172 for DSD)
In any case, I've dropped Devialet an email to clarify this, and to ask for the invite code, which never came...

This is a good alternative to the Aurelic IMHO. Purpose build for Devialet which is what I like.

@Charlemagne, yes, it is a streaming bridge, which should send appropriate USB data that is understood by the DAC or in this case, Devialet and Phantom and converts that digital data to music.

DSD and MQA are just formats, only the bloody DXD which is over 384khz in sampling rate, all the rest could be played back via PCM convert to 24/172 or 192 that has no impact to the quality of music.

Really hope to get one soon as the cost makes sense for me rather than spending on Aurelic at this moment. Rather stick on 1 solution from 1 vendor than moving around.

RE: Devialet Dialog - brit - 14-Jan-2015

(14-Jan-2015, 00:40)Charlemagne Wrote:
(14-Jan-2015, 00:34)madumm Wrote: Quick question, does dialog playback DSD file like DSF or DFF?

Quick answer: I guess not. May be after an upgrade in the future this will be possible. Same goes for MQA. 

Isn't it more the case that Dialog can, or may be able to, accept/read DSD files, but at present the Devialet "expert" range DAC cannot decode them because it is limited to192hz? My W4S Server's USB output supports up to 32/384, and  DSD128, but I cannot play files at this resolution via my D400 USB input. I have a few DSD music files which I can only play via my W4S DAC (which also supports up to 32/384 and DSD128) via the D400 line input, where, I believe, they are "re scaled" to 192Hz before output. This is very annoying, because I do not have the opportunity of hearing what these, supposed hi res music files, sound like through my D400 - is it all hype, or is there a difference? Perhaps, as we understand, Devialet will add DSD capability to the on-board DAC with the next Firmware update, so giving the opportunity to at least compare and contrast differing standards!

David

RE: Devialet Dialog - brit - 14-Jan-2015

Have code, have ordered!

David

RE: Devialet Dialog - Jwg1749 - 14-Jan-2015

(14-Jan-2015, 22:26)brit Wrote: Have code, have ordered!

David

I wonder if the Dialog is outselling the Phantoms at the moment. I guess the Phantoms will only really hit people's consciousness when they get into the shops. Or should I say 'shop' (in the UK at least).

Anyway, I predict late January will be a busy time on this forum. Will SPARK be ready? How good will the UI be? Will there be any bugs? How will the Dialog sound? Will we need super-expensive USB cables or isolators? Questions, questions ...

Matt

Devialet Dialog - madumm - 15-Jan-2015

Confirm no DSD at this moment. Planning but no confirmed date.
Tidal is planned as well, and confirmed in 2015.

So likely you might look at long implementation for DSD.

Devialet Dialog - madumm - 15-Jan-2015

(14-Jan-2015, 21:58)brit Wrote:
(14-Jan-2015, 00:40)Charlemagne Wrote:

Isn't it more the case that Dialog can, or may be able to, accept/read DSD files, but at present the Devialet "expert" range DAC cannot decode them because it is limited to192hz? My W4S Server's USB output supports up to 32/384, and  DSD128, but I cannot play files at this resolution via my D400 USB input. I have a few DSD music files which I can only play via my W4S DAC (which also supports up to 32/384 and DSD128) via the D400 line input, where, I believe, they are "re scaled" to 192Hz before output. This is very annoying, because I do not have the opportunity of hearing what these, supposed hi res music files, sound like through my D400 - is it all hype, or is there a difference? Perhaps, as we understand, Devialet will add DSD capability to the on-board DAC with the next Firmware update, so giving the opportunity to at least compare and contrast differing standards!

David

You will not be able to playback 384. DAC supports till 192
However, DSD can be done since 172 is more than enough bandwidth for it.

Need to resample for dxd.