Devialet Chat
Devialet Dialog - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Devialet Dialog (/Thread-Devialet-Dialog)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: Devialet Dialog - AlexS - 16-Jan-2015

I can't help feeling somewhat sceptical not so much about Dialog, as I'm sure they can get this network streamer right, but about Spark. Will it ever be able to provide the same level of sophistication as JRiver/JRemote. For example, I mostly listen to classical music, so it's essential for me to have a Composers view in the control point (JRemote). Not only that: JRiver/JRemote allows one to create hierarchical custom views, so I created one for browsing Composers --> Album artists --> Albums. And to give you one more example of the flexibility, with JRiver, one can create custom library fields. I created one which concatenates [Album Name] - [Album Artist], which facilitates contextual searches (by artist) within the view. And so on. Will Spark be able to match this in the near future? I'll ask you when you receive your orders Smile

RE: Devialet Dialog - thumb5 - 16-Jan-2015

Alex, that's exactly my reservation too: my personal benchmark for usability and convenience would be the Sonos controller but that's beside the point.

My particular worry about this is what focus Devialet can keep on their existing products, particularly software, while they continue to search for yet wider markets (it's my assumption that they will do so: "one day..." etc.).  We have already perceived a lack of focus on fixing bugs in AIR while they work on Phantom/Dialog, and I can see the same thing happening to Dialog/Spark once the software is "good enough" to be released.  Which might be very different from being a reliable and efficient way to access music, for anyone other than a casual user.

I sincerely hope I'm proved to be overly pessimistic about this.  Time will tell.

RE: Devialet Dialog - Music or sound - 16-Jan-2015

(16-Jan-2015, 12:28)Confused Wrote:
(16-Jan-2015, 11:50)rik Wrote: Interesting - picture shows a USB stick for local playback?

Didn't realise that was a thing.

Rik

This would be excellent in the long term, although in the short term the USB is needed to connect to the Dev?

I would appreciate the ability of local playback especially that one could use that thing: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/portablessdt1/overview.html really small up to 1 TB. But then a USB3 connection would be better which is missing in the Dialog(?). I also do not know why they use USB(2) to connect to Ds. I would prefer Ethernet  to Ds but they decided ethernet to NAS! I do not know wether the connectivity of the Dialog is complete thought trough like connecting of a CD player to a Phantom system is only via toslink.

RE: Devialet Dialog - Rufus McDufus - 16-Jan-2015

I'm assuming if the Dialog can send to the Devialet Expert via AIR (over its Ethernet connection) then this will free up the USB port for accessing music from locally-attached storage. All dependent on whether they build functionality in for reading from locally-attached storage on a USB stick or disk.

RE: Devialet Dialog - NickB - 16-Jan-2015

(16-Jan-2015, 17:56)Music or sound Wrote:
(16-Jan-2015, 12:28)Confused Wrote:
(16-Jan-2015, 11:50)rik Wrote: Interesting - picture shows a USB stick for local playback?

Didn't realise that was a thing.

Rik

This would be excellent in the long term, although in the short term the USB is needed to connect to the Dev?

I would appreciate the ability of local playback especially that one could use that thing: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/portablessdt1/overview.html really small up to 1 TB. But then a USB3 connection would be better which is missing in the Dialog(?). I also do not know why they use USB(2) to connect to Ds. I would prefer Ethernet  to Ds but they decided ethernet to NAS! I do not know wether the connectivity of the Dialog is complete thought trough like connecting of a CD player to a Phantom system is only via toslink.

Not sure where you are getting these definitive connection options from and even more interested to know why you would need USB3 for music transfer??

Nick

RE: Devialet Dialog - Music or sound - 16-Jan-2015

(16-Jan-2015, 18:44)Rufus McDufus Wrote: I'm assuming if the Dialog can send to the Devialet Expert via AIR (over its Ethernet connection) then this will free up the USB port for accessing music from locally-attached storage. All dependent on whether they build functionality in for reading from locally-attached storage on a USB stick or disk.

The reason I suspect that the Dialog can read a USB stick is the image in post# 159!

RE: Devialet Dialog - ErikM - 22-Jan-2015

(16-Jan-2015, 19:22)Music or sound Wrote:
(16-Jan-2015, 18:44)Rufus McDufus Wrote: I'm assuming if the Dialog can send to the Devialet Expert via AIR (over its Ethernet connection) then this will free up the USB port for accessing music from locally-attached storage. All dependent on whether they build functionality in for reading from locally-attached storage on a USB stick or disk.

The reason I suspect that the Dialog can read a USB stick is the image in post# 159!

RE: Devialet Dialog - ErikM - 22-Jan-2015

The only thing at this point that I'm wondering is how it's going to sound. I've really got to wonder how it's going to stack up next to an Aries or a Aurrender or the Total Dac.

RE: Devialet Dialog - Petter - 22-Jan-2015

As anderstand ,some of us have already get a number and ordered the dialog and paid upfront ?

And we stil discuss what the dialog can do Smile

Is it to much to ask Devialet for a clarification what this dialog actually do and can do,and what is the future plan for this router when it comes to existing Line of amplifiers ?

Will it replace the need of apple router products ? as i see it ? can i stream directly from my ipad etc,how do i integrate the new line with the old one ,etc etc etc

RE: Devialet Dialog - Confused - 22-Jan-2015

(22-Jan-2015, 06:42)ErikM Wrote: The only thing at this point that I'm wondering is how it's going to sound. I've really got to wonder how it's going to stack up next to an Aries or a Aurrender or the Total Dac.

I agree, this is indeed the key question.  If sound quality is not at least as good as AIR, then Dialog will be of limited use.  A few of us will be able to give our view on this once we've tried Dialog, but not until April!