Devialet Chat
Devialet Dialog - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Devialet Dialog (/Thread-Devialet-Dialog)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: Devialet Dialog - Confused - 09-Jan-2015

(09-Jan-2015, 14:08)thumb5 Wrote:
(09-Jan-2015, 14:02)Confused Wrote: Some interesting posts - Thanks guys!  So it looks like Dialog can be used with the "Expert" range either by USB or AIR wireless.

It does not look like AIR Ethernet is possible?

So will of match or exceed the sound quality a (non-optimised) PC running WASAPI via AIR?  In theory, being a dedicate "music" device, not a general purpose PC, then yes it should.

Since Dialog has an Ethernet port, if it supports wi-fi AIR I'd be completely dumbfounded if it didn't support Ethernet AIR as well.  There's no extra/different software to write.

Anyway, I think confirmation that Dialog supports AIR in any form is great news for two reasons: firstly it gives an alternative to tying up the USB port on the D, and secondly it makes it less likely that Devialet will sideline AIR (giving them a possible "excuse" not to fix the current problems).

My thinking was that Dialog would connect via wired Ethernet to a NAS for provision of the music files.  Dialog would then need to run AIR to the amp wirelessly.   I believe Dialog only has one Ethernet connection?  So if the NAS is connected to the Dialog via Ethernet, would it also be possible to connect to the amp via Air / hard wired Ethernet, using an Ethernet switch or similar?   This would of course mean the music files would be running in and out of the Dialog simultaneously on the same Ethernet cable.  Technically possible maybe, but seems a bit wrong!  (I may be missing the point completely here!)

RE: Devialet Dialog - thumb5 - 09-Jan-2015

(09-Jan-2015, 16:33)Confused Wrote: My thinking was that Dialog would connect via wired Ethernet to a NAS for provision of the music files.  Dialog would then need to run AIR to the amp wirelessly.   I believe Dialog only has one Ethernet connection?  So if the NAS is connected to the Dialog via Ethernet, would it also be possible to connect to the amp via Air / hard wired Ethernet, using an Ethernet switch or similar?   This would of course mean the music files would be running in and out of the Dialog simultaneously on the same Ethernet cable.  Technically possible maybe, but seems a bit wrong!  (I may be missing the point completely here!)

Yes, your description is spot on except that the Dialog would not need to use a wireless interface if it was on the wired network and the Devialet was using a wired or wireless network interface on the same network (more technically, the same subnet).  This would be the case if you have a wireless router with the NAS and Dialog connected to an Ethernet switch built into the router, and the Devialet either wired into the same switch or using a wireless connection (for example).

The Dialog would be reading music files from the NAS via wired Ethernet, decoding them depending on the codec (FLAC, ALAC, etc.), encoding them into AIR protocol format and sending the output to the Devialet via the same Ethernet port.  You'd only need a single Ethernet port on the Dialog, because traffic can flow both ways -- not simultaneously, but in a time-shared fashion.  There's plenty of bandwidth on wired Ethernet to support this.

From a network point of view it would be the same as when you're using the existing AIR application on a PC or Mac but your music files are on a NAS.  The Dialog is simply a special-purpose computer replacing a general-purpose one.

RE: Devialet Dialog - Flashman - 09-Jan-2015

Question: Is the USB connection between the DIALOG a USB "A" to USB "B" (Devialet Expert series) ?

RE: Devialet Dialog - Music or sound - 09-Jan-2015

In https://help.devialet.com/entries/33114721-Connecter-un-NAS-How-to-connect-a-NAS it states:
"Streaming music directly from your NAS to the Devialet without a computer in between, just by selecting the file from your iPad is not yet available.

This functionality is called UPnP (or DLNA which is a version of UPnP) compatible. We do not support this functionality for the moment but we will probably have a version of it in the future. We just want to have the right version of it as the current UPnP protocol isn't appropriate."

Maybe the Dialog would be that version? I would personally prefer if one could use a USB drive like this one http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/portablessdt1/overview.html
but the dialog has only a single USB connection?

RE: Devialet Dialog - Rufus McDufus - 09-Jan-2015

thumb5 has it I think. I see AIR as just another protocol for sending music to the Devialet, their protocol that can send music data over ethernet (wired or wireless). As part of its software suite, the Dialog will include an AIR sender. This is good news as it shows Devialet are committed to supporting AIR and it also shows that they've ported it to the Dialog platform, which is very likely a variant Linux box. Now depending on the chipset used in the Dialog (we don't know that yet do we?) it might well be the case that they'd make this port available separately which will also be good news for people wanting to run the AIR sender on a NAS.
I'm guessing we will also be able to use a direct cable from Dialog to Expert Devialet too, i.e USB, if so desired. This makes the package very versatile and open to experimentation between the different methods.

That's my take on it anyway.

RE: Devialet Dialog - thumb5 - 09-Jan-2015

(09-Jan-2015, 18:43)Rufus McDufus Wrote: This is good news as it shows Devialet are committed to supporting AIR and it also shows that they've ported it to the Dialog platform, which is very likely a variant Linux box. Now depending on the chipset used in the Dialog (we don't know that yet do we?) it might well be the case that they'd make this port available separately which will also be good news for people wanting to run the AIR sender on a NAS.

The spec says "quad-core processor, 1.2 GHz".  I expect it will be some kind of ARM variant, maybe a Cortex-A9.

RE: Devialet Dialog - miro - 10-Jan-2015

(09-Jan-2015, 19:05)thumb5 Wrote:
(09-Jan-2015, 18:43)Rufus McDufus Wrote: This is good news as it shows Devialet are committed to supporting AIR and it also shows that they've ported it to the Dialog platform, which is very likely a variant Linux box. Now depending on the chipset used in the Dialog (we don't know that yet do we?) it might well be the case that they'd make this port available separately which will also be good news for people wanting to run the AIR sender on a NAS.

The spec says "quad-core processor, 1.2 GHz".  I expect it will be some kind of ARM variant, maybe a Cortex-A9.

Where is the spec of the Dialog available from?

Can one plug in a USB thumb drive directly in the Dialog?

How does it connect to a Devialet unit?

RE: Devialet Dialog - amabrok - 10-Jan-2015

(10-Jan-2015, 11:53)miro Wrote:
(09-Jan-2015, 19:05)thumb5 Wrote:

Where is the spec of the Dialog available from?

Can one plug in a USB thumb drive directly in the Dialog?

How does it connect to a Devialet unit?

check this white paper

https://help.devialet.com/attachments/token/d3l0WTsKaWqMT5FEXuYqcs5Uq/?name=White+Paper+Phantom+english.pdf

for now, Dialog will connect to the D expert series via USB only.however we all here feel there will be an upgrade that will allow Dialog to connect with D units via Ethernet or WiFi

The Dialog has no USB input, only optional optical input in addition to its Ethernet and WiFi connectivity.

RE: Devialet Dialog - Rufus McDufus - 10-Jan-2015

The Dialog is quite lacking in connectivity isn't it? I could see that being something of an issue for some people.

RE: Devialet Dialog - Music or sound - 11-Jan-2015

The dialog is more like a purpose specific router than a complete server as far as I can understand from what is published. It looks like that Devialet envisioned that the Dialog is a link between a Phantom (or D) and something like a Macbook. I hoped for a solution which can work with but more importantly for me without a computer.
It would be nice to get more precise information but it looks like that Devialet is presently run by some marketing people.