Devialet Chat
Suggestions for RCA-to-XLR cable - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet Expert 400/800, Original d'Atelier, Expert 210/440/1000 Pro (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Expert-400-800-Original-d-Atelier-Expert-210-440-1000-Pro)
+--- Thread: Suggestions for RCA-to-XLR cable (/Thread-Suggestions-for-RCA-to-XLR-cable)

Suggestions for RCA-to-XLR cable - pisabell - 29-Jun-2019

Hello all,

I am preparing to experiment with using three D220 to drive my 3-way speakers in "active crossover" mode.

In order to do that, I will need an RCA-to-XLR cable to link the first master D220 with the first slave D220 (and then an RCA-to-RCA cable to link the first D220 slave to the second D220 slave.

I would like some suggestions about a suitable RCA-to-XLR cable. I only need a very short run: half a meter would be fine but perhaps it will be difficult to find runs of less than 1 meter. 

Alternatively I might be able to solder such a cable if I can find the correct pin-out.

Many thanks!

Pierre

p.s. I am pretty sure that the question of RCA-to-XLR cables has been raised on this forum before. However, owing to the rather poor search technique used on the present site I was unable to find relevant posts. The problem is that all words shorter than 4 letters (thus both RCA and XLR) are discarded by the search engine. This is definitely wrong. Good search engines normally use a finite list of useless short words such as "the" and "a" (this is called a list of "stop words") rather than banning all short words.

RE: Suggestions for RCA-to-XLR cable - Jim_Anderson - 29-Jun-2019

(29-Jun-2019, 20:07)pisabell Wrote: Hello all,

I am preparing to experiment with using three D220 to drive my 3-way speakers in "active crossover" mode.

In order to do that, I will need an RCA-to-XLR cable to link the first master D220 with the first slave D220 (and then an RCA-to-RCA cable to link the first D220 slave to the second D220 slave.

I would like some suggestions about a suitable RCA-to-XLR cable. I only need a very short run: half a meter would be fine but perhaps it will be difficult to find runs of less than 1 meter. 

Alternatively I might be able to solder such a cable if I can find the correct pin-out.

Many thanks!

Pierre

p.s. I am pretty sure that the question of RCA-to-XLR cables has been raised on this forum before. However, owing to the rather poor search technique used on the present site I was unable to find relevant posts. The problem is that all words shorter than 4 letters (thus both RCA and XLR) are discarded by the search engine. This is definitely wrong. Good search engines normally use a finite list of useless short words such as "the" and "a" (this is called a list of "stop words") rather than banning all short words.

I have used the DH Labs RCA to XLR (D-110) cables (1 meter and a 3 meter) successfully between D's.  Reasonable priced and quite quick delivery.  Tried a longer length of 5 meters but at this length the signal was to weak and intermittent to be usable.  

Jim

RE: Suggestions for RCA-to-XLR cable - Axel - 30-Jun-2019

I second Jim’s nomination. I also use the DH Labs D110, but whichever you choose to use, make sure it is 110 Ohm.
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-D400-VS-D-Premier-Mono?pid=85008#pid85008

See post #5.

RE: Suggestions for RCA-to-XLR cable - pisabell - 30-Jun-2019

Jim and Axel:

Thanks for the recommendations.

Here is another question. I just noticed that in the online configurator, whenever the master unit is connected to the (first) slave unit through the RCA-to-XLR path, it no longer looks possible to share the sources from both units. Is there a way to do that? I would not want to drive my speakers with three D220 but only have access to the sources from the master unit.

Thanks a lot,

Pierre

RE: Suggestions for RCA-to-XLR cable - Laura - 30-Jun-2019

Unfortunately this is the downside of using the RCA to XLR master/slave connection. When using this method the slave sources are no longer available.

RE: Suggestions for RCA-to-XLR cable - audio_engr - 30-Jun-2019

(30-Jun-2019, 17:26)Laura Wrote: Unfortunately this is the downside of using the RCA to XLR master/slave connection. When using this method the slave sources are no longer available.

+1 ...    I've daisy chained 3 x 220 Companions using RCA-XLR and have no sources on them. 

On the plus side, the improvement from RCA-RCA to RCA-XLR is very generously significant ... 

I had the RCA-XLR from DH Labs Silver Sonic D-110 of 1.5 metres and indeed was a very nice cable. But when I moved to the AudioQuest Diamond 1.5 m and thereafter to the Wild 1.5 m, it was altogether another story ... And so was the $$$

RE: Suggestions for RCA-to-XLR cable - pisabell - 01-Jul-2019

Thanks for the useful answers!