Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cartridges and phono settings
Yes, I was referring to your cartridge. Apologies and thanks for clarifying.
(12-Aug-2014, 03:39)adstew Wrote: Yes, I was referring to your cartridge. Apologies and thanks for clarifying.

Nothing to apologise, I wish it was a PC-1 Wink
(12-Aug-2014, 02:42)adstew Wrote: A bit confused by the suggestion on adjusting gain to roughly 0 db - (is that the suggestion?). I am using a Lyra Atlas, .56MV output. My meters show -40 db or so when listening. Current setting is 590 on the Devialet and don't think I could/should push it higher to get to 0db. This is roughly the same as the PC 1 setting another owner shared. Thoughts?

Checked tonight and I am around -40dB as you are. Record is Lou Reed's Berlin from Sony Legacy
@adstew & @marcor - Your observations are very similar to mine. I set my maximum level in the Devialet very slightly higher than the manufactures "typical" output figure, the dB meters run maybe -40 to -20. I am still experimenting with the level (I have only had my latest turntable and cartridge a couple of weeks) but I don't think I want to go too much nearer the manufactures spec sheet figure (which is a typical figure at 1Hz / 5m/s, not a maximum). As I stated in a previous post, a bit of guidance on the Devialet website would help. I have to agree with @F1eng's comment that it is better to be a little under than over. Pushing digital systems to distortion levels is very bad news, the Devialet does protect itself from this with "clipping" protection, but this is very bad news also!

Also, not all records are the same, I must hunt down my very loudest deep groove 45rpm 12" single. (It'll be good fun looking at least)
Hi,

I just checked my meters and they did not even reach 40 dB.

I had the impression that the output level in the Devialet should be adjusted so that you are a bit over your cartridge output. In my case Benz say 365 uV output on my LPS and my setting is 400 uV. Did I misunderstand the whole setting process? As I see it, due to the digitalization a level should be set slightly over (to avoid oversteer) the cartridge level so that signal out will be maximized ie making best use of all the dig bits, or am i wrong there too?

Sampling setting is 96 kHz as recommended by Dev.

To get my levels up what to do, load or output level or both?

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
It looks like many of us are setting the max level setting in the Devialet very slightly over the cartridge manufactures stated output (which seems sensible), and we all are getting readings in the -40 to -20dB range, and in some cases lower (which seems rather odd).

Does anyone have a clue why this might be?
Am guessing we are all in the right range at -40 to -20.

Adding to this at the risk of going slightly off topic - I am currently using the trial version of Pure Vinyl to digitize some albums. The meters on the Dev show very low noise levels when on the phono input, -80 db range. When I look at those levels through my Mac Mini they go to -55 db. This is beyond the level Pure Vinyl suggests for recording (-70 or better). I am guessing the issue is with the mac. Sent a note to Pure Vinyl and will let you know what they say. Anyone else experiencing this?
(12-Aug-2014, 18:25)Confused Wrote: It looks like many of us are setting the max level setting in the Devialet very slightly over the cartridge manufactures stated output (which seems sensible), and we all are getting readings in the -40 to -20dB range, and in some cases lower (which seems rather odd).

Does anyone have a clue why this might be?

Haven't adjusted the load in the config yet, my reading is between -60 to -40.
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
I see that we share the same experience!

It would be interesting if Devialet would like to shed some light on this matter ie how to optimize output without hitting the ceiling. I had my load set at 'high' as this is recommended by Benz as well as Devialet but that just sounded raw and bleached.
I actually found that a 80-100 ohm sounded much better. However in the hunt for optimization I contacted Alan Sircom on the matter (after his 170 review) and he had found that a 460 ohm setting worked best for him with the Benz sister cartridge the SLR. I tried and it worked slightly better than the previous lower load and haven't changed since then.

Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
(12-Aug-2014, 18:30)adstew Wrote: Am guessing we are all in the right range at -40 to -20.

Adding to this at the risk of going slightly off topic - I am currently using the trial version of Pure Vinyl to digitize some albums. The meters on the Dev show very low noise levels when on the phono input, -80 db range. When I look at those levels through my Mac Mini they go to -55 db. This is beyond the level Pure Vinyl suggests for recording (-70 or better). I am guessing the issue is with the mac. Sent a note to Pure Vinyl and will let you know what they say. Anyone else experiencing this?

I haven't tried using pure vinyl but I have very low noise floor, just a couple of bars in the devialet meter and I am using 192/24 instead than 96 as suggested. I did a bunch of tests and I found out that even if introduce a bit of noise there is a wider range at 192. Did anyone else tried?