Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
National Audio Show 2016
I have never been to the National Audio show.  It is not that far from where I live, so only an hour or so driving each way.  However, year after year it clashes with something I always have to do in mid September. 

This year, for one year only, I unexpectedly find myself free so I plan to visit today.  Looking at the exhibitors list, there is not actually that much I am interested in!  So I plan to simply have an enjoyable few hours wandering about and seeing (listening to) what looks (sounds) interesting.  Although I did notice that Vivid Audio are planning to demonstrate the Giya range with Devialet Pro amplification.  OK, that is one room I will definitely check out!

If there is anything else that anyone thinks I should check out, let me know!  I will be able to pick this thread up on location via the power of iPhone.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(17-Sep-2016, 07:23)Confused Wrote: I have never been to the National Audio show.  It is not that far from where I live, so only an hour or so driving each way.  However, year after year it clashes with something I always have to do in mid September. 

This year, for one year only, I unexpectedly find myself free so I plan to visit today.  Looking at the exhibitors list, there is not actually that much I am interested in!  So I plan to simply have an enjoyable few hours wandering about and seeing (listening to) what looks (sounds) interesting.  Although I did notice that Vivid Audio are planning to demonstrate the Giya range with Devialet Pro amplification.  OK, that is one room I will definitely check out!

If there is anything else that anyone thinks I should check out, let me know!  I will be able to pick this thread up on location via the power of iPhone.

I'm going tomorrow so if you could point me to the best rooms that would be great  Rolleyes
Can't make it today but I go every year again not too far away. A really enjoyable day and I always come home knowing I have a great system !
Devialet D400
Wilson Sasha
Onkyo Cd transport via aes/ebu
Direct Drive Turntable Micro Benz Gold MC Cartridge
2 x Shunyata Sigma Digital Power Cord
Transparent Super MM2 Speaker Cable
(17-Sep-2016, 08:58)egg1dog Wrote:
(17-Sep-2016, 07:23)Confused Wrote: I have never been to the National Audio show.  It is not that far from where I live, so only an hour or so driving each way.  However, year after year it clashes with something I always have to do in mid September. 

I'm going tomorrow so if you could point me to the best rooms that would be great  Rolleyes
Can't make it today but I go every year again not too far away. A really enjoyable day and I always come home knowing I have a great system !
The best sounding room?  That is an easy one, the Devialet 1000 Pro with the Vivid Giya G2's.  Most splendid!

Not to be missed, have a listen to the German Physiks speakers.  Not the best sound, but an object lesson in sound staging, quite remarkable.  Also not to be missed, the 'Wall of Music' room, this one you'll have to work out for yourself!  To be honest, it is not a particularly big show, so easy enough to get around to every room.  Also it was not hugely busy (nothing like the overcrowding at Bristol), a very enjoyable place to visit!  I'll post some more details tomorrow.......
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(17-Sep-2016, 23:01)Confused Wrote:
(17-Sep-2016, 08:58)egg1dog Wrote:

The best sounding room?  That is an easy one, the Devialet 1000 Pro with the Vivid Giya G2's.  Most splendid!

Not to be missed, have a listen to the German Physiks speakers.  Not the best sound, but an object lesson in sound staging, quite remarkable.  Also not to be missed, the 'Wall of Music' room, this one you'll have to work out for yourself!  To be honest, it is not a particularly big show, so easy enough to get around to every room.  Also it was not hugely busy (nothing like the overcrowding at Bristol), a very enjoyable place to visit!  I'll post some more details tomorrow.......

The G2's; where they better than your KEF Blades?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
The Vivid Giya G2's with the 1000 Pro was a very fine system. Clear, detailed, but with proper full range grunt and power. Just my kind of thing! Better than the Blades? You trying to cause a ruck Pim?? To be honest, I haven't got a clue! Although the demo yesterday was in a fairly big room. I recall hearing one show demo of the Blades where I did not think they sounded that good. Talking to the KEF guy he said the Blades can sound a bit 'lost' in a very big room. (this was a VERY big room) So I am tempted to say that if you live in a mansion and have a massive listening room, yep, go for the Giya's. To be fair, the G2's are not in the same price bracket as the Blades, I was quoted £38k yesterday, the Blades are £20k. So if I sold my Blades for £10k, I would need to find another £28k to upgrade. I will not be doing this! Well, not until I have saved up another £2million for a suitable mansion.

I did also listen to the smaller Giya's (I think G4's) with the 440 Pro. Not the best demonstration I would say. Again in a big room, they were being pushed quite hard and you could hear the bass drivers really struggling. Based on this (and OK, OK, I am biased), I would have to say that the Blades are a long way better than the G4's. This was a very short listen in an unfamiliar room etc. So exactly how the Vivid's and the Blades would compare in a correctly set up A/B test, I have no idea. All of the Giya's did look absolutely stunning though. The G2's were tremendous though, how good are those G1's!
Just back ! A very enjoyable relaxed day out. To be honest i spent a lot of time in the Devialet room. Listened to both the 440 and the 1000 pro which i both thought were excellent. Difficult to assess in such a large room if the 440 is better than my 400, I don't think it is a night and day improvement so I will be holding off on any upgrades for no. I am not a fan of the Vivid speakers but they sounded good on both systems. Though the german physics room was definitely worth a listen, massive soundstage I agree. The Bryston rig (7B3 monos, BP26 Chord Dave with PMC speakers (Fact12) also floated my boat but with chord music cabling thrown in that system was pushing £50k.........I wouldn't trade my system in for it though ! A lot of empty rooms hence i'm back quicker than normal. Happy to come home to my wonderful system !
Devialet D400
Wilson Sasha
Onkyo Cd transport via aes/ebu
Direct Drive Turntable Micro Benz Gold MC Cartridge
2 x Shunyata Sigma Digital Power Cord
Transparent Super MM2 Speaker Cable
Devialet and the Vivids ......

These are quite good fun!  Fully modular speaker system.  System needs a bit more warmth, not quite enough bass?   Easy!  Just add another 8 bass units. Smile OK, a bit naff maybe but does give you that mini festival PA look in your living room.

(and anyone concerned about phase alignment and other subtle issues, don't look too closely, the mid high unit are simple placed in front of the bass units)

Some other highlights from the show, I thought the Dali Epicon 6's sounded good in what was quite a small room. (would be great with a Devialet I reckon)

But one last observation, there were a LOT of manufactures using turntables to demo kit. OK, I know about the vinyl resurgence and all that, but maybe 50% or more of the demo's seamed to be vinyl. Seamed a bit strange to me!
Thanks for the show report, I would have attended, however being on the West side of the US, it is a bit of a commitment...

Looks like they showed both the little brother and big brother to my set..... Confused

Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US