Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maglev turntable
Have a look at this: http://www.whathifi.com/news/mag-lev-aud...e=20161118

Want one?
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(19-Nov-2016, 03:40)Axel Wrote: Have a look at this: http://www.whathifi.com/news/mag-lev-aud...e=20161118

Want one?

Looks interesting but in practice i'm not convinced....yet.
A lot of us with vinyl spend a lot of time getting the table perfectly flat (spirit levels etc.). I'd be interested in how much vertical deviation you get as it revolves. I think there will be more than on a traditional table.
220PRO, Rega RP6, MacBook PRO, AIR3, Sonos Connect, Monitor Audio PL300
UK
I don't see any advantage in this design.
It may appear to the non-technically minded to have advantages for the TT not to be in direct physical contact with something, but there will be forces needed to support the weight, magnetic in this case, air pressure in others, and these forces are no more or less susceptible to vibration transmission than a properly engineered spring based isolation system.
All record players pick up spurious vibration at the cartridge. Since the cartridge picks up a difference between the generator movement (connected by a long thin rod to the stylus) and the cartridge body (bolted to a long resonant tubular structure mounted onto a plinth of some sort).
The spurious vibration can come from the plinth along the arm to the cartridge body and through the platter bearing, mat and disc to the stylus. Acoustic coupling is possible to the any part of the record player, but particularly the arm.

When I was doing research on record player design in the 70s we only looked at the cartridge output as a measure of how effective the design was, since anything which did not effect that was considered irrelevant.
It was interesting how many things had some sort of effect on the cartridge output!
Nothing has changed since then in the basic requirements of a record player and the means of achieving it. All designs produce spurious output, and fixing one limitation exacerbates another. My conclusion in the end was to just "tune to taste" such that the colourations added are the ones personally enjoyed.
Modern TTs tend to be more taking advantage of modern manufacturing than improving anything fundamentally IMO, and are stupendously expensive, possibly because they are in fashion with the richest branch of the hobby.
A Garrard 401 cost £72 made in pro+ quantities in the mid 70s, which equates to around £300 to £550 in today's money depending on whether one uses US or UK inflation since then...
It had no arm or plinth but motor units today rarely perform any better than it did.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I did designed and build two DIY turntables end of last century and tried hard to ban as much magnetism out of the system :-) looks fancy but more like an expensive kickstarter gadget....
Bricasti M1 SE DAC -> Pass labs XP30 & XP25 phono -> Bryston B28sst2 -> Sonus Faber Amati Futura  -> JRiver MC 21 -> Synology NAS / Quboz  - Denon DP 7000 SME 5012
D1000pro -> Magico V2 -> Fanless NUC i5 (Broadwell) -> Jriver MC 21/ Bauer DPS3i / Lyra Kleos
I did wonder how they would keep the platter centralised and level, also the effect of the magnetic field on the cartridge.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Hi all,

I already own (since 2005 and renewed in august 2016) a Clearaudio turntable with the magnetic bearing (option of € 1050 spent in 2016) in which the platter floats above the magnetic underplatter. Sounds fantastic: the top! But oke only the turntable > € 20.000. And even more money on stabilizing the 230V..... Curious whether German patents holds in the USA. Together with a Clearaudio Tangential Arm (distortion much lower) super. Via Devialet 220 I just made a 192kHz 24 bits copy of Eva Cassidy on 45RPM. What a wonderfull world..... And than into the Staxes or mobile on Samsung 128GB and Oppo HA2 amplifier on Oppo PM3 headphones. Records are cleaned in such a way no klicks or whatsoever. It is possible; sounds so much better. But much much more money than digital and a lot of work. But then you will have something; a more airy sound. Eva and Presley in your room.....
1: Atelier d'Or no.75 (1.5m. AQ RCA-XLR), Heart 2812 QuadESL.nl, Kimber 8TC, WBT, Rel StentorII, Oppo105D (surround), Vodafone Next, Quad 303.2(!Quadrepair.nl), Kef RDM1, BenQW4000i, SBooster (3x), IfiX 3x, 125 inch, Stax 507 (2x) on Stax SRM-1S, SRM D-50, all on Iso-Ac. Gaia1, 2 and 3, Kemp Isolator source and power-, Kemp QA/ SNS plugs (6x), Furutech & ALAC maincables, AQ Blizzard, Van den Hul Mainstream, Optical 8k cables, Clearaudio (Synchro+Champion2+TT3 tangential+CM Bearing+Outer Limit+StradivariV2, 530uV, 200 ohms), NUC11 i7, Samsung-980Pro, -A8, -S24Ultra, Roon Life, Netgear 108, AQ Cinnamon all, Live cable USB, AQ jitterbug 5x, WB 18TB 2x

2: 220Pro, Kef R3, Rel Studio, Oppo103EU (surround), Quad 707(mod), Kef RDM2, all on Iso Acoustics 200, Gaia 3 & 1, LG Oled55, Furutech wall outlets(3x), AQ NRG-Z3 (2m., 5x), Kemp powerstrips, Audiotool filters, Oppo HA2+PM3 + AQ cinnamon cables

1900 recorded LP's 24/192, 850 DSD 5.1 SACD (via Oppo), 4800 ripped CD's, Qubuz