Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
R U STILL AMAZED BY YOUR SOUND SYSTEM????
(01-Dec-2016, 20:30)Hifi_swlon Wrote: I think the most amazed I've been is when I bought a Naim setup. It came after a while without any decent hifi (college, party years, etc) and was by far the best I'd ever owned - it was something I'd longed for for years after growing up with friends with fantastic hifi's and I could finally afford my own. I 'had a new CD collection' and was satisfied for years.

It's hard to recreate that on many levels. I haven't done it again but I couldn't say it sounded better than what I've got now, probably not. But I don't feel the same emotionally. If that makes any sense.

I have to concur with this.   The days of being "blown away" have passed, but I find it so much easier now to simply get lost in the music and love every minute of it.   Maybe if I suddenly inherited a 1000 Pro and a pair of really high-end speakers, I would be "blown away" again.  Anyone want to write me into their will?
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
To be honest the 200 still blows me away . Unfortunately new neighbours mean I can't crank the volume up very much these days , but when I do it still blows me away.
Maybe I apprecaure it more now as I can't get to do it that much. Whatever I think of Devialet I will say again that it's the best sound I have ever had.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Yes...Im blown away nearly every time I hear my D200. But to be honest it's only since I moded the D and PC. Cables have a big impact too.
This D is the most neutral amp I've ever heard. It gets so close to an amplified wire as I can think of. And man, it has thrust in the deep and the highs. I fever for every step my source is getting improved as my D honors every 'little' one with bliss performance. It's a very rare combination of performed precision with emotions.

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
I, too, started as a No 1 person. My thoughts were "There's no need to spend that much money", "Remember the rule of decreasing returns", etc. But then two things happened: first I realised how important it had become to me to listen to music in the best possible way. And then, and it was the most painful part of the process, that there was a MUCH better sound option available... if you pay. In other words, the point of diminishing returns came much further down the curve than the point I was at at the moment.

So then I started researching and came to my present system, of course spending a lot more money, but enjoying it much much more. I'm sure I'll upgrade in the future, I realise there is still a lot to gain. But for now I'm enjoying it so much it's hard to stop.

Great thread! Cheers!

L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very interesting and honest experiences, i like very much reading them,lot of guys enjoying so mich dev200, i agree with them.
If i m upgrading to 220 pro it s only to be at newest technology, os 2017 , resale value if any.
Sq wise for 220 pro still controversial!

I am now very happy with my current system and I have also had a long journey which started 16 years ago but actually didn't spend/waste a lot of money with one exception.

After starting with a 5-parts Denon-system from my father (with cassette-recorder!) I moved to a Sherwood Receiver with a 5.1 satellite System from Heco an then finally bought my first "audiophile" piece of HiFi for which I worked a lot of hours as a waiter - a Denon AVR3802 in gold with Kimber 4TC cables. That was really a feeling of "having it done". At this point I was 18. I also bought some bigger speakers which sounded good to my ears at that point and only costed like 100€ (together!) (yeah I know - big imbalance...). This combination served me for I think 11 years. Then I got my first job with real money and I moved on.

I listened to 15 different speakers until I finally found the perfect fit for my ears and my room. The DALI Epicon 2! Unfortunately I also made the only mispurchase of my ongoing journey together with it - a class D Stereo Network Amp which I don't want to name here. A terrible amp in every way which costed me around 1.800€. After 6 months I disconnected it and hooked up my Denon again. But I never gave up...

In November 2016 I finally moved to my dealer again and got a Devialet home to listen for it. I am a purist and don't like these full racks at all. I wanted an All-In-One system compatible with the Apple sphere and that's why I went to Devialet. After being blown away by the sound from the first second I bought it, which was definitely the best buy ever together with the Epicon 2!

My now existing system of a Devialet Expert 120 and DALI Epicon 2 loudspeakers connected via Kimber 4TC sounds like heaven to me and is my personal eargasm. Very minimalistic but pure Gold Standard.
(18-Dec-2016, 09:23)Elija123 Wrote: I am now very happy with my current system and I have also had a long journey which started 16 years ago but actually didn't spend/waste a lot of money with one exception.

After starting with a 5-parts Denon-system from my father (with cassette-recorder!) I moved to a Sherwood Receiver with a 5.1 satellite System from Heco an then finally bought my first "audiophile" piece of HiFi for which I worked a lot of hours as a waiter - a Denon AVR3802 in gold with Kimber 4TC cables. That was really a feeling of "having it done". At this point I was 18. I also bought some bigger speakers which sounded good to my ears at that point and only costed like 100€ (together!) (yeah I know - big imbalance...). This combination served me for I think 11 years. Then I got my first job with real money and I moved on.

I listened to 15 different speakers until I finally found the perfect fit for my ears and my room. The DALI Epicon 2! Unfortunately I also made the only mispurchase of my ongoing journey together with it - a class D Stereo Network Amp which I don't want to name here. A terrible amp in every way which costed me around 1.800€. After 6 months I disconnected it and hooked up my Denon again. But I never gave up...

In November 2016 I finally moved to my dealer again and got a Devialet home to listen for it. I am a purist and don't like these full racks at all. I wanted an All-In-One system compatible with the Apple sphere and that's why I went to Devialet. After being blown away by the sound from the first second I bought it, which was definitely the best buy ever together with the Epicon 2!

My now existing system of a Devialet Expert 120 and DALI Epicon 2 loudspeakers connected via Kimber 4TC sounds like heaven to me and is my personal eargasm. Very minimalistic but pure Gold Standard.

Very nice experience! You are lucky you didn t lost lot of money, devialet is special indeed. Enjoy your system !

I have heard the D440 pro and to be honest my D400 pales in comparison. The soundstage and realism projected by the D440 pro is far ahead of the D400. I will be upgrading my D400 to D440 pro very soon.
I think the last time I went "wow" was also when I had a full-on Naim Olive system with Dynaudio Contour speakers, all on Mana racks. Ironically, I was also playing the Mana "Eternal Dream" CD which John Watson was demoing his gear with at a Heathrow show. I remember thinking "that is so B A D I want some . . . ".
But that was some years ago when I was much more anal about this stuff. When we moved to Portugal the whole angle-iron dust magnet racks, Hydra mains cables, interconnect spaghetti, etc. got to me so I looked for a decent single-box solution (and I mean "single" - no outboard phono stages for my LP12) that I could get for around the resale value of my Naim kit. D200 was pretty much the only game in town, had great reviews so I took a punt on a used one over on PFM.
Am I "amazed"? Nope, but I'm now of an age where not much amazes me anyway (although a surprising little Pinot Noir did bring a smile to my face last night). But I am quite happy with what it does, and it does it inconspicuously.  I don't want my living space looking like a hi-fi showroom any more. I still think my Naim gear had a greater "boogie / smile factor" but I know many here will disagree.
Bottom line? Quite content; would like to try a Pro upgrade for some extra slam but not willing to spend the cash (i.e. pension) 'cos - at the end of the day - it's just music. Wine, women and song (in equal measures) as someone once said. I'll drink to that!
Cheers
Lounge : D200, Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II, Squeezebox Touch, Musical Fidelity X-Ray (CD Transport), Linn LP12/Ittok 3/Dynavector DV10x5, Chord Clearway & Carnival cables; Study : Squeezebox Touch, Revox PR99 MkII, NAD D 3020, Epos K1; Terrace: Squeezebox Touch, Audioengine A5+; Garage : Squeezebox 2; Rotel  RA-820BX, MA R252; assorted other Squeezebox products dotted around the place; Music Server : iMac 5K 32GB 3TB fusion drive, OSX & BootCamp W10, LMS, FLAC / MP3; Router : Huawei B310 4G; Ripping : dBpoweramp; Library Management : MediaMonkey; Location : East Algarve, Portugal

Hi dear fellas,
I received one week ago my so long awaited sabrinas.
After spending 3 months without speakers( the venere 2.5 were sold to add funds to the sab 's purchase).
What can i say? I a m a bit frustrated cause i m not "really" hearing , or feeling what i heard in the listening room of my dealer.
Actually 3 main factors are frustrating me actually!
The first one is : did i suspected so much from sabrina that now i m kind of deceived!
The second one: the fact i stayed 3 months without any system affected my judgement and appreciation.
The third one: did my room acoustics is affecting more the sab s ?
Could t be the combination of these 3 factors!
Ok , let me be clear: the sabrina are sounding very good in my room now!But i only bought them because they sounded so amazingly wonderfull!Extremely transparent , highs very extended without harsh, mids lovely( voices are amazing), and.... and ... the icing on the cake is the base SO ,i expected the same in my livingroom!!
The base is enveloping, controlled, deep, precise.....
When i first listened to them in my livingroom i thouht they were amazing , then ,hours and hours after i m still searching for that extra special emotion!
By the way ,i m still searching and experimenting speaker placement .
I think one time ,during one of my session i was laughing,such they sounded alive and dynamic , but happened only one time
With my venere2.5 i was listening confortably at -20db , now i feel i need -16db for sabrina to come alive and really sing.
To conclude, the only think now that is annoying me the most is the bass: i tried sam 100%, sam off ,20%,50% so far 100% is on. It is there but , i know it should be better extended, and deeper, lower..
I m just writing this to share my experience so far with sabrina, and relieve my conscience from thousands questions.
My dealer said to pass by next week for speaker placement help, so let s see.
Honestly , i m suspecting my room acoustics affecting the sound , specially the side wall waves!!!
THKS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk