Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Air 3.0.2 Release Candidate for Windows and MacOS
Thanks!!!
I just got my 250 back from the pro upgrade which is great.

Unfortunately while it was away a windows update has done something to the mini pic I use to run ROON and air! At first it wouldn,t read files across the network which I couldn't resolve with drivers, etc so I reset windows 10 which fixed it. Now I can't play dsf or 24/192 files without crackling, using Ethernet, this is a problem I never had with any previous version of air!

It's really annoying as all the 3.xx betas had been perfect upto know, I've tried all of them and they all have the same problem, if anyone has any ideas they would be appreciated. I have turned defender off, etc. And there is no obvious high cpu or memory usage.

Cheers

Chris
Roon/RAAT - Dev 250 Pro - AQ Castle Rock - SF Olympica ii
(15-Dec-2016, 23:50)Chris Marshall Wrote: I just got my 250 back from the pro upgrade which is great.

Unfortunately while it was away a windows update has done something to the mini pic I use to run ROON and air!  At first it wouldn,t read files across the network which I couldn't resolve with drivers, etc so I reset windows 10 which fixed it.  Now I can't play dsf or 24/192 files without crackling, using Ethernet, this is a problem I never had with any previous version of air!

It's really annoying as all the 3.xx betas had been perfect upto know, I've tried all of them and they all have the same problem, if anyone has any ideas they would be appreciated.  I have turned defender off, etc. And there is no obvious high cpu or memory usage.

Cheers

Chris

One easy try I would give to 'Process Lasso'. There's a trial and it is also cheap. You can set Priority patterns in Process Lasso for Devialet processes to 'high'. Might solve your problems.

As I assume you have dedicated the mini pc to audio only you could also trial 'Audiophile Optimizer'. It might not bring you further sound improvements (though I would highly expect this even with AIR 3) but cuts all audio-unnecessary processes/services down so they won't get in the way while streaming. There's even a shell replacement in AO that replaces original Windows shell for Roon shell (or other player shells). Made a very nice sound improvement at least for me and cuts down Windows Processes even more.

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
(10-Dec-2016, 19:48)Nakatomi63 Wrote:
(10-Dec-2016, 12:17)Cylob Wrote: Did about 15 back and forth tests between Win 3.0.1 beta vs 3.0.2 RC and in all cases I preferred the sound quality of 3.0.1 beta.
More airyness, warmer bass, more decay & better soundstage. Subtle difference, but I prefer 3.0.1 beta.
Seems like 3.0.2 is too controlled for my system.
Had my friend blind test it twice and he described the same on the bass and the airyness.
Anyone noticed any differences as well? Or is it all suggestion?

Luckily they didn't fix my remaining bug, so no harm in using the previous version...

What I've noticed is that I find the sound more veiled, less transparent in version 3.0.2. Surely I'm going back to version 3.0.1.
Hopefully the final version has that sound quality.

Anyone elso who compared Win 3.0.1 to 3.0.2?
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
Thank you GUI, I'll give process lasso a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorted, as usual, it turned out to be something else!

It was the switch between the pic and the router, there are 2, I tried restarting one of them but missed the other. It was the only thing on the network I hadn't restarted, grrrrr !

However, all is now working nicely so I can get down to listening to my new toy ?
(16-Dec-2016, 20:53)Chris Marshall Wrote: Sorted, as usual, it turned out to be something else!

It was the switch between the pic and the router, there are 2, I tried restarting one of them but missed the other.  It was the only thing on the network I hadn't restarted, grrrrr !

However, all is now working nicely so I can get down to listening to my new toy ?

Eventually try the softwares anyway? I'm interested on your findings in respect of SQ.

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
I have installed process lasso, I can't say I can hear any difference but then the amplifier is still settling in so not sure I can make a conclusion. I also need to make sure I have it set correctly.
Anyone else having trouble with 176.4? I told Roon to convert DSD to PCM and I get nothing but clicking. Play back through usb is fine so it's Air specific.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(10-Jan-2017, 00:36)Dr Tone Wrote: Anyone else having trouble with 176.4?  I told Roon to convert DSD to PCM and I get nothing but clicking.  Play back through usb is fine so it's Air specific.

Are you running this on a Mac or a PC?

I assume Mac because on a PC with Roon and AIR DSD64 works fine.

If on a Mac, yes with Roon you need to have it do the DSD to PCM conversion since AIR on Mac doesn't support DSD64.

So I do have RoonServer running on a Mac Mini with AIR3, and have Roon configured to do the DSD to PCM conversion and it works without a hitch. Sorry as I know that doesn't help you with your issue. Maybe something is overlooked in the Roon settings (I know that is unlikely).
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US