Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best power cord for Devialet
(31-Dec-2016, 23:07)Pim van Vliet Wrote: That 'magic box' might just have a few cheap components in it. See here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-m...the-cable/

But that doesn't mean it doesn't work.

I'm sure if you were to add the retail cost of all Devialet components they wouldn't add up to 10 grand either.

I would be more inclined to try a cable like this that 'actively' does something than just some wire with two plugs. That would be after trying a good power conditioner though.

No idea if it works or not, I'd never pay that sort of money to find out. I know it's a controversial subject to some - my comment was just because I find it funny when I read 'good value' for wires, pucks, etc costing thousands. No offence intended, I guess we all have different value thresholds. Vive la difference I guess!

Devialet's aren't cheap, and maybe the components don't cost 10 grand, but I think if you tried to design one yourself from scratch as a one off (or hire someone else to do it) - including all the R&D, design, casing, circuits, DSP code, testing, etc, etc, it would cost significantly more than the retail.

I don't think the same can be said for expensive mains cables personally, except maybe when they come in really intricate and expensive boxes. Big Grin

Anyway, who cares. It's 2017! Happy New Year!!

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(31-Dec-2016, 21:09)deviousalet Wrote: What power cords have you listened to on your Devialet in comparison?

American MIT Oracle power cables

Japanese Harmonix different power cables

Some older cables from Transparent Audio Cable

Japanese Oyaide Tunami GPX
Thanks for that information. I was curious if you'd heard Shunyata or Synergistic.
I think I posted elsewhere that I've been extremely happy with my High Powered (HP) Digital American power cord from Triode Wire Labs (http://www.triodewirelabs.com/).  They are now using the new Furutech IEC termination that fits the Devialet quite nicely.   I've compared these power cords to a few far pricier cables and have to say they are exceptional and at a far more reasonable price point.

I have to acknowledge that the new Audioquest power cords that Devialet is providing with the Pros is a nice step up from the cheap stock PCs they previously provided, but IMHO, the TWL cords are a major step from that.   

If interested, get in touch with them about your setup.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(02-Jan-2017, 17:22)mdconnelly Wrote: I think I posted elsewhere that I've been extremely happy with my High Powered (HP) Digital American power cord from Triode Wire Labs (http://www.triodewirelabs.com/).  They are now using the new Furutech IEC termination that fits the Devialet quite nicely.   I've compared these power cords to a few far pricier cables and have to say they are exceptional and at a far more reasonable price point.

I have to acknowledge that the new Audioquest power cords that Devialet is providing with the Pros is a nice step up from the cheap stock PCs they previously provided, but IMHO, the TWL cords are a major step from that.   

If interested, get in touch with them about your setup.

A quick update.... I upgraded from 200 to 220 Pro last October and then added a 2nd 220 to make a 440 Pro in December.  It sounded wonderful with the Audioquest power cords provided.  But just this week I replaced the Audioquest PCs with Triode Wire Lab's High Power Digital American power cords on both units and... WOW.   I can't say enough about these cost-effective PCs.

To be honest, I expected a bump in blackness and clarity but was not prepared for what I heard  ... the soundstage blossomed in the room well beyond where it was (and it was already pretty damn nice), music became even more musically engaging... bass became far more impactful.  But what I noticed most was that the transient response & dynamics, became amazingly quick - closest to live music I've heard on any system.  The Devialet 440 Pro is now strutting itself far beyond what I thought possible.

If you're looking at pricey power cords, save yourself a chunk of money and check these out.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Durham, NC USA
(03-Feb-2017, 21:20)mdconnelly Wrote: A quick update.... I upgraded from 200 to 220 Pro last October and then added a 2nd 220 to make a 440 Pro in December.  It sounded wonderful with the Audioquest power cords provided.  But just this week I replaced the Audioquest PCs with Triode Wire Lab's High Power Digital American power cords on both units and... WOW.   I can't say enough about these cost-effective PCs.

To be honest, I expected a bump in blackness and clarity but was not prepared for what I heard  ... the soundstage blossomed in the room well beyond where it was (and it was already pretty damn nice), music became even more musically engaging... bass became far more impactful.  But what I noticed most was that the transient response & dynamics, became amazingly quick - closest to live music I've heard on any system.  The Devialet 440 Pro is now strutting itself far beyond what I thought possible.

If you're looking at pricey power cords, save yourself a chunk of money and check these out.

Isn't it funny that you heard/hear such a big difference with the new PCs and others don't get it to be possible in their mind and therefor won't even try another PC? It really gives me a laugh at some theoretical discussion where some guys don't believe and want to push their believe over others but strictly restist to do a real test.
Welcome to the real world mdconnelly Big Grin
I have one question though. How would you rate the gain of soundimprovement of the PCs compared to the PRO-Upgrade? Or do you think it is dependent on each other?

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
gui - I'm all in favour of everyone evaluating things for themselves and making their own decisions, but I don't think you should make any value judgements about or denigrate other people having a different perspective on this kind of topic. If anything, it seems to me that you're the one who's pushing their beliefs onto others.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(04-Feb-2017, 12:50)thumb5 Wrote: gui - I'm all in favour of everyone evaluating things for themselves and making their own decisions, but I don't think you should make any value judgements about or denigrate other people having a different perspective on this kind of topic.  If anything, it seems to me that you're the one who's pushing their beliefs onto others.

Wow, wow...didn't want to hurt anybodys feelings. Sorry if I did.

...and no, it's not about believing rather than many of us are sharing the same experience...that's not believing.
As the topic of this thread at least for me includes the fact that sound improvements/differences are fact within comparing different PCs I didn't expect someone with interests for this thread could take offence on my words. Sorry.

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
I've found that what a  power cord can do for a system may not be what people listen for.   It's typically NOT a tonal thing.   Improvements in PRAT are more difficult to pinpoint yet can have a huge impact on musical enjoyment and engagement.   Transient response - the ability for your system to quickly respond to music dynamics is similar (think snare drum rim shot).   These kind of improvements make sense to me - a better power cord may have the ability to make your component better at doing what it was designed to do.   

In a prior life I worked sound for a few bands and learned how to listen for such cues.   Pro audio challenges are not that different.   I hate it, but wire does matter.  But it can also drive you nuts because there is so much on the market and a cable manufacturer can always find someone to give them a good review.

Regarding the Devialet Pro... there's no question in my mind that it is a step up in clarity and definition.  I've seen some comments that felt it perhaps it was a step in the wrong direction.   I'm certain that different speakers, wires, rooms (and ears) can all play into that.   For me, it is a no-brainer improvement assuming the price tag is within reach and I realize that's not always the case. Hey, the 200 is still an amazing piece of tech that sounds as good today as the day I first bought one.   But the upgrade does have a big price tag and IMO there are ways to improve your system for less money - power cords being one of them.   If you're using a stock power cord on a pre-Pro Devialet, I firmly believe that a better power cord will provide a nice improvement for far less cost.  And the beauty of a better power cord is that it is a portable device - can be used on any component now or in the future.

With that said, be careful out there.   Just because a power cord looks like a fire hose doesn't mean it will sound good.   But you also don't have to spend thousands of dollars for good quality.  I've tried a lot of brands and designs from home made cables under $100 to the high-priced stuff from Shunyata and JPS.   I bought my first Triode Wire Labs PC back in 2011 and ultimately replaced all my PCs with them.  Great stuff at a very reasonable price (full disclosure: I'm just a happy customer with no vested interest in TWL other than wanting good sound without breaking the bank).
Durham, NC USA
(04-Feb-2017, 14:23)yabaVR Wrote:
(04-Feb-2017, 12:50)thumb5 Wrote: gui - I'm all in favour of everyone evaluating things for themselves and making their own decisions, but I don't think you should make any value judgements about or denigrate other people having a different perspective on this kind of topic.  If anything, it seems to me that you're the one who's pushing their beliefs onto others.

Wow, wow...didn't want to hurt anybodys feelings. Sorry if I did.

...and no, it's not about believing rather than many of us are sharing the same experience...that's not believing.
As the topic of this thread at least for me includes the fact that sound improvements/differences are fact within comparing different PCs I didn't expect someone with interests for this thread could take offence on my words. Sorry.

gui

No offence taken, gui, and no need to apologise.  I understand that you're enthusiastic about this stuff and that's absolutely fine.  But let's keep an open mind that it could be ... all in the mind; in which case deciding that power cables don't make a difference is an equally valid picture of "the real world".

As you probably realise, I'd describe my position as "interested but sceptical" which is why I enjoy reading the threads in this part of the forum.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK