Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Question to Devialet regarding Roon and MQA
(10-Jan-2017, 11:21)ogs Wrote: I think Devialet could easily do MQA decoding specific to their implementation in the DSP. Devialet seems quite unwilling to do anything they have not invented/patented themselves. Roon is the other obvious example. Room correction is another... I fear the UPnP/DLNA Devialet have announced will have quirks that make it problematic to use too.

Couldn't agree more with you post.

In my experience UPnP is extremely difficult to implement well. Just look at how much time it took Linn to get there and I am not sure software is Devialet's strong suite.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(10-Jan-2017, 11:36)NickB Wrote: And of course Room correction means you cannot use MQA as they are mutually exclusive

MQA has built in provision for room correction and other DSP processing, so it is possible to use both at the same time.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(10-Jan-2017, 12:11)ogs Wrote:
(10-Jan-2017, 11:36)NickB Wrote: And of course Room correction means you cannot use MQA as they are mutually exclusive

MQA has built in provision for room correction and other DSP processing, so it is possible to use both at the same time.

I seem to remember its a complex situation. Like it might have to be done at certain points in the chain that might not fit your specific setup (i.e. it may have to be done by the same program that decodes, or combined in the dac hardware or whatever) - but that was ages ago when I read about it and things were still very confused from MQA's side. Much like now I suppose!

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(10-Jan-2017, 12:37)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(10-Jan-2017, 12:11)ogs Wrote:

I seem to remember its a complex situation.  Like it might have to be done at certain points in the chain that might not fit your specific setup (i.e. it may have to be done by the same program that decodes, or combined in the dac hardware or whatever) - but that was ages ago when I read about it and things were still very confused from MQA's side.  Much like now I suppose!

It is definitely complex. I asked Brian Luczkiewicz of Roon about this right after Bob Stuart had answered the MQA questions at Computer Audiophile: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/any-pla...ss/6597/41
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(10-Jan-2017, 18:39)ogs Wrote: It is definitely complex. I asked Brian Luczkiewicz of Roon about this right after Bob Stuart had answered the MQA questions at Computer Audiophile: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/any-pla...ss/6597/41

Brian is one smart dude!

If Roon developers can, they want to implement the per dac filters on the server when the DAC isn't MQA capable.  I don't know if Meridian would be on board with that.

With all the DSPing that happens in the Devialet I have to think that adds a monkey wrench in things for a Devialet implementation never mind Roon implemented Devialet specific MQA filters.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

After reading on Roon forum, computer audiophile and here I think I will just wait to see what Roon will do with it's upcoming 1.3 and MQA. 

I still hope that we get Roon on the streamerboard but most likely that will not happen. I wanted to run the new Roon core kit on a NUC and just be done with that no need for AIR3. MQA decoding in Roon will be good enough for me for now as I use Tidal.

So now I think that perhaps I will go down a road I did once the microRendu or a Sotm SMS-200 with a Mutec delivering AES to my 440Pro. A NUC with Roon core kit everything powered by a multirail Paul Hynes PSU. 

Many thougts right now......think I will take it a bit slow and see what happens with Roon, MQA and the streamerboard.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Looks like airplay is making it to the Phantoms, have to assume it will make it to the new expert streaming board.  Something to look forward to, I suppose.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Audirvana next version (3.0) is supposed to decode MQA. Presently the available catalog is too small that MQA relevant for me now but that could change within a year.
Earlier infos from MQA hinted at that to get the full benefit decoding has to be done at the DAC level but since then decoding on a server/computer works too but will the sound quality be similar?
I listened to some MQA files undecoded and they did not sound better than straight 16/44.1. So if that is all what we can get with Devialet it would be disappointing. Or should I be disappointed with MQA as an irrelevant format which only confuses high res audio?
I just found some more explanations about MQA: http://www.audiostream.com/content/mqa-d...1ygMdCq.97
(10-Jan-2017, 21:18)Music or sound Wrote: Audirvana next version (3.0) is supposed to decode MQA. Presently the available catalog is too small that MQA relevant for me now but that could change within a year.
Earlier infos from MQA hinted at that to get the full benefit  decoding has to be done at the DAC level but since then decoding on a server/computer works too but will the sound quality be similar?
I listened to some MQA files undecoded and they did not sound better than straight 16/44.1. So if that is all what we can get with Devialet it would be disappointing. Or should I be disappointed with MQA as an irrelevant format which only confuses high res audio?

Your comparison should be first level unfolded MQA via the Tidal App to the Devialet vs straight 16/44.1 to the Devialet.  If you can't hear a difference all is well and  you shouldn't worry too much about MQA.

If the software unfolded MQA sounds better then having hardware decoding support in the Devialet might take it to another level yet.