Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dirac and room correction software
(22-Mar-2015, 03:51)MountainGuy Wrote: Apologies but I have a neophyte question. Since I've not used any room correction whether via hardware or software, I realize that I can't grasp all of what each of your posts mean as I would need the hardware/software in had and actually try it to get the whole picture. 

But in short here are my neophyte question based on the fact that if I do get a Devialet system, I would be running the music off my Windows 8.1 laptop with a CD player attached.  

Hello - I'll have a shot at some answers.  They're based on my (limited) experience with Dirac SE.

(22-Mar-2015, 03:51)MountainGuy Wrote: 1. My understanding is that Devialet apparently does not plan to incorporate room correction capability in their systems.  Correct? 

Difficult to be sure about this.  There was a recent rumour that they might be adding it, but in the past they have said it won't happen.  I'm assuming that it won't be added in the near future.

(22-Mar-2015, 03:51)MountainGuy Wrote: 2. However, aftermarket correction can be accomplished upstream of the Devialet? 

3. And this correction can be done via software or hardware.  Is this correct or must I get some type of hardware such as DSpeaker Antimode or miniDSP hardware?  

Yes.  It can be done in software running on a PC or Mac, streaming to the Devialet by AIR.  I've used Dirac like that on my Mac, and I believe others on the forum have used Dirac and/or other software on PCs.  It's obviously a little inconvenient as it limits your choice of sources and you have to have a computer running to listen to music.

Using an upstream hardware device such as an AntiMode or miniDSP would work, and in principle is more convenient, but may limit your sources in a different way.

(22-Mar-2015, 03:51)MountainGuy Wrote: 4. Is there a list somewhere of the credible room correction options?  And any sense if there are some that are generally accepted as being the most effective? 

I don't recall seeing a list as such.  Apart from the options mentioned here, Room Equalisation Wizard (REW), Acourate and Audiolense should probably be on the list.

(22-Mar-2015, 03:51)MountainGuy Wrote: And yes, I already do have some room treatment items though I've not fully utilized them.  My room is a small 11x13 feet room so it is a challenge.  I like balanced but deep bass extension for acoustic music which gives a realistic foundation. 

The all in one unit and SAM capability of the Devialet is very attractive.  

Thanks in advance for any help in understanding a bit more about room correction for a neophyte. 

Thanks again!
MtnGuy 

Would be very interesting to hear how you get on!

Hope that's (somewhat) helpful,

Ian
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dirac and room correction software - by thumb5 - 22-Mar-2015, 08:27
Dirac and room correction software - by Krisp - 13-Jan-2016, 18:27