Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
R U STILL AMAZED BY YOUR SOUND SYSTEM????
I think the last time I went "wow" was also when I had a full-on Naim Olive system with Dynaudio Contour speakers, all on Mana racks. Ironically, I was also playing the Mana "Eternal Dream" CD which John Watson was demoing his gear with at a Heathrow show. I remember thinking "that is so B A D I want some . . . ".
But that was some years ago when I was much more anal about this stuff. When we moved to Portugal the whole angle-iron dust magnet racks, Hydra mains cables, interconnect spaghetti, etc. got to me so I looked for a decent single-box solution (and I mean "single" - no outboard phono stages for my LP12) that I could get for around the resale value of my Naim kit. D200 was pretty much the only game in town, had great reviews so I took a punt on a used one over on PFM.
Am I "amazed"? Nope, but I'm now of an age where not much amazes me anyway (although a surprising little Pinot Noir did bring a smile to my face last night). But I am quite happy with what it does, and it does it inconspicuously.  I don't want my living space looking like a hi-fi showroom any more. I still think my Naim gear had a greater "boogie / smile factor" but I know many here will disagree.
Bottom line? Quite content; would like to try a Pro upgrade for some extra slam but not willing to spend the cash (i.e. pension) 'cos - at the end of the day - it's just music. Wine, women and song (in equal measures) as someone once said. I'll drink to that!
Cheers
Lounge : D200, Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II, Squeezebox Touch, Musical Fidelity X-Ray (CD Transport), Linn LP12/Ittok 3/Dynavector DV10x5, Chord Clearway & Carnival cables; Study : Squeezebox Touch, Revox PR99 MkII, NAD D 3020, Epos K1; Terrace: Squeezebox Touch, Audioengine A5+; Garage : Squeezebox 2; Rotel  RA-820BX, MA R252; assorted other Squeezebox products dotted around the place; Music Server : iMac 5K 32GB 3TB fusion drive, OSX & BootCamp W10, LMS, FLAC / MP3; Router : Huawei B310 4G; Ripping : dBpoweramp; Library Management : MediaMonkey; Location : East Algarve, Portugal

Messages In This Thread
RE: R U STILL AMAZED BY YOUR SOUND SYSTEM???? - by GRC - 05-Jan-2017, 14:28