Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Question to Devialet regarding Roon and MQA
(11-Jan-2017, 17:33)Music or sound Wrote: I just found some more explanations about MQA: http://www.audiostream.com/content/mqa-d...1ygMdCq.97

Interesting!  According to the attached, "If you play back a 24-bit/192kHz MQA-encoded file through an MQA software decoder like Tidal HiFi, Audirvana, or (soon) Roon, and you are using a regular DAC (i.e. a non-MQA DAC), you will get a 24/96 file. A software decoder does not offer the ability to 'unfold' the original file to resolutions higher than 24/96 (or 24/88.2).
If you play back a 24-bit/192kHz MQA-encoded file through an MQA-enabled DAC, you will get a 24-bit/192kHz file. If you are also using a software decoder like Tidal HiFi, Audirvana, or (soon) Roon, you can have the software decoder perform the first 'unfold'. "

My understanding is that there are two key aspects of MQA, one is the folding of a 24 bit file into a smaller file, thus allowing streaming with lower bandwidth.  The second is the 'MQA magic', that is correction of issues inherent with the original A/D conversions and similar, such as tailored time reconstruction filters. 

My question is, does software decoding, limited as stated above to 24/96, give all the other MQA stuff in full, such as the A/D conversion time corrections?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: Question to Devialet regarding Roon and MQA - by Confused - 11-Jan-2017, 18:30