Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Odd Phantom Stereo placement....
(12-Jan-2017, 09:15)MountainGuy Wrote: My brother was doing some extensive tests with a pair of Gold Phantoms. He was a skeptic before hearing the Phantoms but is very very impressed after extensive test of a wide genre of music.  

Here's an interesting factoid.  He set up the pair on 28" tall stands in parallel, away from side and rear walls.  He felt that the bass was subdued.  Then he pointed the speakers OUTWARDS from him, about 45 degrees.  And the bass came in much stronger and the imaging was still enjoyable.  His claim is that Phantoms in parallel cancels the bass.  I think he is right - I'm trying in my room and getting much more bass. 

Anyone else tried this or have any thoughts?

Since the highs and mids fire forward and the bass fires sideways, it is not surprising that you hear more bass and less mids and high when you angle the phantoms 45° away from you... If you like bass a lot you might as well turn the phantoms toward the rear wall...
It is the first time that I hear someone complain about subdued bass with the phantoms though ! My golds are parallel and  on stands and I hear plenty of bass... Of course if I walk between the speakers or behind them I hear much less highs and mids and much more bass...but the parallel position (or slightly pinched toward you) gives you just the right amount of highs, mids and bass, provided the speakers are not too close to the rear and side walls. 
You get the best aural image when the speakers are firing toward you on an outside terrace (no front or side walls at all). 
In other words, the best room to listen to your system is ...no room at all...if weather permits.[Image: cool.gif]
2 phantom Gold
2 phantom Reactor
Dione soundbar
Spotify connect 
Apple music
Audirvana 3.5.44 for Mac

Messages In This Thread
RE: Odd Phantom Stereo placement.... - by eniriop - 14-Jan-2017, 21:46
RE: Odd Phantom Stereo placement.... - by Axel - 19-Jan-2017, 03:12