Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power Cables
(29-May-2014, 21:38)Sobert Wrote: Can Chord Sarum be used with the back-cover on?

By default it has a Furutech IEC connector like this:

[Image: YLm6Kqw.jpg?1]

Which won't fit under the back cover. On request Chord can supply a flatter IEC connector. They've been doing this for Linn customers for a few years because the Klimax gear has an annoying 'lip'. They'll do the same for Devialet I'm sure, but the standard connector fits fine if you leave the back cover off.
Hi everyone,

I use my D250 with an Transparent Audio PLMM2 power cord. This power cable really gives some extra power to the amplifier, Darker background, better sense of acoustic enviroment in the recordings, better foundation and stability.

But since the original IEC plug on the power cord was a little too thick for the cover plate of the amp ( typical Wattgate, Furutech design) I decided to change it to a more slim version. The choice fell on the Furutech FI-15 Plus in Rhodium. It is a tight fit, but it fits.

Unfortunately this plug sounded bright at first but settled after a while. But even after a couple of days use it still sounded a little bit to agressive. So I ordered a second sample, this time the Gold version of same plug. Now the system seems to deliver a better tonal balance and liquidity.
- Proud Devialet owner since 2011!

Main system:
Devialet D250 Pro, Magico Q3 speakers, Shunyata Anaconda speaker cables, Shunyata Sigma HC power cable/Shunyata Cyklops V2 power conditioner/Shunyata Digital power cable, Shunyata DF-SS cable lifters, Jenving CAT8+ Ethernet cables, Auralic Aries Mini with SBoost power supply, Shunyata Venom USB.

Working at Akkelis Audio in Gothenburg, Sweden
(28-May-2014, 18:40)Rufus McDufus Wrote: Good power supply and cables seem pretty critical for the Devialet, which is a bit irritating but makes sense for any hifi gear I suppose. In addition to the Sablon Petit Corona, I'm currently have a dedicated consumer unit with 2 6mm2 twin-and-earth spurs, 2 10mm2 (plus extra 10mm2 earth) and MK unswitched sockets. I put the 6mm2 spurs in just a few days ago on advice from an experienced hi-fi dealer that 6mm is better than 10mm (which can sound congested and undynamic - something I agree on after comparing them). The 6mm already is much better. Just bog-standard twin-and-earth.
I've also been using an Airlink 2kVA balanced power supply on the Devialet but that's recently started to sound worse to me (and it varies rather a lot for my liking) and I've taken it out for the time being.

As for power cables, I've also tried one of Guillaume's Chord Sarums which was excellent. A great all-rounder cable which imparted a very solid and uncoloured sound. I also have some home-made ones using Van Damme 2.5mm2 cable & MK Toughplugs which aren't bad, better than the stock Devialet cable for sure, but not a patch on the likes of the Sarum or Sablon.
Looking to try Entreq as well.

Hi Rufus - have been demoing the Sablon Petit Corona for abot 4 hours. It seems to be effective at both ends - bass seems more distinct, treble also. Unfortunately, the heightened treble is excessive at times. Would be keen to understand your experience with the same cable and whether this settles down over time. Other Petit Corona users feel free to chip in.

Thanks, Ken
Auralic Aries G2 > Kii Control > Kii Audio 3 BXT
(30-May-2014, 17:32)ZincAlloy Wrote: Hi Rufus - have been demoing the Sablon Petit Corona for abot 4 hours. It seems to be effective at both ends - bass seems more distinct, treble also. Unfortunately, the heightened treble is excessive at times. Would be keen to understand your experience with the same cable and whether this settles down over time. Other Petit Corona users feel free to chip in.

Thanks, Ken

I would agree with you until recently, it was a bit much and rather extreme bass and treble was the first thing I noticed. But not now! Everything seems to have gone the other way in my system and I could do with a bit more treble especially. I doubt it's just the power cord doing this but could be a factor.
Here is the Nordost Frey 2 with the Devialet spesial factory connector

The Frey 2 have a lot of the same quality as the more expensive Valhalla

Quite good space and no problems with the top lock
Roon Nuceleus + Core/Tidal > Rood Ready wired ethernet > Keces P8 LPS > EtherRegan switch > D250 PRO > Sonus Faber Cremona M
Nordost Frey 2 Power cable - Blue Jeans Speaker Cables - Audioquest Diamond and Supra cat8 ethernet cables
Other: Ipad air with ROON Control / Pro Ject ground base - ISO Acoustics Orea - Herbie Tenderfoots 
"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
(30-May-2014, 17:52)Rufus McDufus Wrote:
(30-May-2014, 17:32)ZincAlloy Wrote: Hi Rufus - have been demoing the Sablon Petit Corona for abot 4 hours. It seems to be effective at both ends - bass seems more distinct, treble also. Unfortunately, the heightened treble is excessive at times. Would be keen to understand your experience with the same cable and whether this settles down over time. Other Petit Corona users feel free to chip in.

Thanks, Ken

I would agree with you until recently, it was a bit much and rather extreme bass and treble was the first thing I noticed. But not now! Everything seems to have gone the other way in my system and I could do with a bit more treble especially. I doubt it's just the power cord doing this but could be a factor.

Thanks Rufus - will give it a week and see how I get on. Your comment re: lack of treble is interesting. I'd rather put up with too much, than too little. I listen to a lot of female vocals, and the last thing I'd want is for them to lose their presence, if you know what I mean.

ATB, Ken

Thanks, Ken

Hello Ken,

Interesting observations. I helped out with beta testing the Petit Corona power cable for the Devialet, and of the three cables Sablon sent me I preferred one with marginally less treble emphasis -- I think this had a rhodium-plated plug rather than the silver plated plug which others preferred.

It's possible that Mark at Sablon still has the cable I tried, and maybe you might find it more to your taste.

Cheers,

Ian
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(30-May-2014, 18:50)thumb5 Wrote:

Thanks, Ken

Hello Ken,

Interesting observations. I helped out with beta testing the Petit Corona power cable for the Devialet, and of the three cables Sablon sent me I preferred one with marginally less treble emphasis -- I think this had a rhodium-plated plug rather than the silver plated plug which others preferred.

It's possible that Mark at Sablon still has the cable I tried, and maybe you might find it more to your taste.

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks Ian - good to know. Early days still, so will bear this in mind.

ATB, Ken
(29-May-2014, 21:38)Sobert Wrote: Can Chord Sarum be used with the back-cover on?

Hi all,

I strongly suggest you try taking the back cover off regardless of the connector size of the power cable. Less metal above all the cables helps I guess...

Also, in another forum, a user suggested to take the speaker binding posts cover off (some struggle is required but eventually they give up) if you are using banana connections. I use mine like that now with a good effect.

Let your ears be the judge.

Kunter
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
(31-May-2014, 08:15)Kunter Wrote:

Hi all,

I strongly suggest you try taking the back cover off regardless of the connector size of the power cable. Less metal above all the cables helps I guess...

Also, in another forum, a user suggested to take the speaker binding posts cover off (some struggle is required but eventually they give up) if you are using banana connections. I use mine like that now with a good effect.

Let your ears be the judge.

Kunter

I see that you have the Rockport Altairs, wow!

Pictures, pictures...Tongue

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK