Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Active crossover feature
(05-Jun-2015, 17:19)Confused Wrote: Just as well as it stops me being tempted into spending daft amounts of extra cash!

Big Grin got your point. I understand stacking many D200 would be a bit hefty, but that's not necessarily the only way to go.
They could introduce a box in a size same as D200, but with 8 channels amp and active crossover only. Than, you could connect it to the D200 the same way you create dual mono D400.
It would serve as an active crossover unit and you wouldn't have to have many amps, just a single pizza box extra.
A multichannel amp from Devialet including a more sophisticated crossover function would be great but I doubt we will see anything like it. I am only hoping that advanced firmware/configurations will improve the x-over function of the expert line. Holm and Minidsp and many more can do it for many years and Devialet has implemented it in the Phantom range and
recently there are many more active speakers produced with advanced DSP etc.
One thing I find indispensable is a good measuring tool. I am using FuzzMeasue but Devialet more or less developed its own one with SAMlab (but likely not obtainable).

Now, you guys have gotten me super excited!  I believe I can use this active crossover feature in my system.  You have to guide and help me do it.

My system is presently compose of the following components:

Amplifiers: Devialet 200
Symphonic Line RG7 MK4

Speakers: Gemme Audio Tanto Karbon V3 with crossovers for each
speaker mounted in a separate or external enclosure which is
then linked to the speakers via Speakon Neutrix connectors.

Cables: 10 foot long Speakon Neutrix cables supplied by Gemme Audio.
7 foot long pair of Wireworld Silver Eclipse III Speaker Cables.
.75 meter pair of Kimber Selet 1036 RCA Cables
1 meter pair of Stage III silver cables.

Sources: Oppo 103D
Well Tempered Amadeus
Shelter 7000
Dynamique Design Magellen SDIF cable.

My main goal is to eliminate the crossover entirely by using the D200’s active crossover function.  I have no idea or inkling on how to proceed doing this.  I now place my audio future in your hands.  Useful links: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/6...karbon_v3/ and this one; http://www.my-hiend.com/leoyeh/2011a/FicheV3-eng.pdf.  Thank you in advance for your responses.
(28-Sep-2015, 12:46)aisip Wrote: Now, you guys have gotten me super excited!  I believe I can use this active crossover feature in my system.  You have to guide and help me do it.

Symphonic Line RG7 MK4

Well Tempered Amadeus
Shelter 7000

My main goal is to eliminate the crossover entirely by using the D200’s active crossover function.  I have no idea or inkling on how to proceed doing this.  I now place my audio future in your hands.  Useful links: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/6...karbon_v3/ and this one; http://www.my-hiend.com/leoyeh/2011a/FicheV3-eng.pdf.  Thank you in advance for your responses.

I don't think you can do anything with a single D, except a cross over between an active sub and a pair of speakers.

Since your speakers are two ways speakers you would need two D200, and configure the one powering the woofers as a low pass and the one powering the tweeters as a high pass.
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(28-Sep-2015, 14:02)Jean-Marie Wrote:
(28-Sep-2015, 12:46)aisip Wrote: Now, you guys have gotten me super excited!  I believe I can use this active crossover feature in my system.  You have to guide and help me do it.

Symphonic Line RG7 MK4

Well Tempered Amadeus
Shelter 7000

I don't think you can do anything with a single D, except a cross over between an active sub and a pair of speakers.

Since your speakers are two ways speakers you would need two D200, and configure the one powering the woofers as a low pass and the one powering the tweeters as a high pass.

Sad Sadly, I think you are absolutely right.  I was hoping there was a way for me to use the Symphonic Line as the bass amplifier.  Thank you for the response Jean.

Symphonic Line RG7 MK4

Well Tempered Amadeus
Shelter 7000

Not quite! I have one D250 and use filtered analog out with class D mono blocs (Kharma MP150 and now diy based on Anaview AMS0100) for the woofer. As my x-over frequency is around 250Hz the sound quality of these amps for the woofers is just fine! I doubt that a second pair of D250 would be significant better (I tried it mono with my D250 ).
(28-Sep-2015, 16:45)aisip Wrote:

Symphonic Line RG7 MK4

Well Tempered Amadeus
Shelter 7000

Sad Sadly, I think you are absolutely right.  I was hoping there was a way for me to use the Symphonic Line as the bass amplifier.  Thank you for the response Jean.
Sorry,

I had overlooked the fact that you have a other amp. You could then use it as a bass amplifier and connect it on the sub out of the D200. 

This being said, would be mostly listening to the Symphonic Line because with a two ways like you have (I have two ways floor standers myself) I'm assuming that the cross over is in the 2500 to 3500 Hz, meaning that the part of medium that is the most critical for the hear would be amplified by the Symphonic and no longer the D200. 200W for the tweeters is rich!  Shy 

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(28-Sep-2015, 17:42)Music or sound Wrote:

Symphonic Line RG7 MK4

Well Tempered Amadeus
Shelter 7000

Not quite! I have one D250 and use filtered analog out with class D mono blocs (Kharma MP150 and now diy based on Anaview AMS0100) for the woofer. As my x-over frequency is around 250Hz the sound quality of these amps for the woofers is just fine! I doubt that a second pair of D250 would be significant better (I tried it mono with my D250 ).

Outstanding!  Thank you Jean and Music or Sound.  To make this work, I am planning to do the following:

1.  Fabricate adapter cables that will enable me to connect separate amplifiers for the highs and lows.  Both transducers have Speakon Neutrik speaker connectors.
2.  Reconfigure D200’s RCAs 1 and 2 as line out with high pass filters enabled.  This will be connected to the Symphonic Line and will drive the woofers.
3.  Enable low pass filter on D200’s speaker leads.  The Devialet will drive the tweeters.
4.  I still need to figure out the correct settings for the crossover.  Will need to consult Mr. Robert Gaboury,, Gemme Audio’s former owner and designer.  What filter order should I use?  1, 2 or 3?

After doing away with the crossover, I’m expecting the following improvements:  More direct and involving sonic signature.  Enhanced transparency and purity.  Transient attack, dynamic range and speed should significantly be improved.

Let me know if there is an easier way of doing this.  Feel free to make any corrections or make suggestions.  I thank all of you for your sound advice and guidance.  This chat forum is the best and you guys are awesome!
(29-Sep-2015, 03:21)aisip Wrote: ...
2.  Reconfigure D200’s RCAs 1 and 2 as line out with high pass filters enabled.  This will be connected to the Symphonic Line and will drive the woofers.
3.  Enable low pass filter on D200’s speaker leads.  The Devialet will drive the tweeters.

Haven't you got the high-pass and low-pass filters the wrong way round there?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(29-Sep-2015, 13:38)thumb5 Wrote:
(29-Sep-2015, 03:21)aisip Wrote: ...

Haven't you got the high-pass and low-pass filters the wrong way round there?

Yes I agree, I think it should be the other way wrong: the high pass on the leads driving the tweeters and the low pass on the RCA out driving the other amp driving the woofers....

And then of course you need to adjust the gains so that each path is having the same.....

Jean-Marie
France