Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Increasing my Wifi signal
Have you tried connecting the laptop to the router by ethernet? that would help show if wifi is really the issue.
(22-Oct-2015, 06:01)Chris Marshall Wrote: Have you tried connecting the laptop to the router by ethernet?  that would help show if wifi is really the issue.

Yes I did this vert early on. It worked flawlessly when the lap top was hard wired. Then someone suggested removing the ethernet cable. I did this and it continued to work. Then I moved it into the next room and got about 10 minutes before the white noise. This is why i believe it could be the strength of my wifi signal.
I will see how the Melco goes and if I have no issues I will put AIR behind me
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(21-Oct-2015, 10:30)Womaz Wrote:
(21-Oct-2015, 10:26)completeluxury Wrote: womaz, you will probably get better value for money by buying a proper wireless access point that mounts on the ceiling/in a cupboard over a new router. that way you can position it for best effect.

Sounds interesting. is this not what I looked at , a wifi extender, is it the same thing? I looked at a wifi extender from BT at about £50, but reviews were not good and stated that the wifi in the house automatically then reverted to a slower overall broadband speed.

they are very very different.

a wifi extender is like a netgear POS while a real wireless access point looks like this: http://www.ruckuswireless.com/products/a...eflex-r300

You actually disable the routers wifi and solely use this device.

However im not sure if its been asked.. but can you list your laptops brand and model number?
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
Hi Steve,

You may download this nifty utility to test your wifi strengths at your home. Below is the extract of what it does and a link for you to download it. Cheers.
-----------------

"WifiInfoView scans the wireless networks in your area and displays extensive information about them, including: Network Name (SSID), MAC Address, PHY Type (802.11g or 802.11n), RSSI, Signal Quality, Frequency, Channel Number, Maximum Speed, Company Name, Router Model and Router Name (Only for routers that provides this information), and more... "

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

Theres also the possibility that the wifi card on the laptop is the problem which is why i asked for the laptop details
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
(23-Oct-2015, 00:24)completeluxury Wrote:
(21-Oct-2015, 10:30)Womaz Wrote:
(21-Oct-2015, 10:26)completeluxury Wrote: womaz, you will probably get better value for money by buying a proper wireless access point that mounts on the ceiling/in a cupboard over a new router. that way you can position it for best effect.

Sounds interesting. is this not what I looked at , a wifi extender, is it the same thing? I looked at a wifi extender from BT at about £50, but reviews were not good and stated that the wifi in the house automatically then reverted to a slower overall broadband speed.

they are very very different.

a wifi extender is like a netgear POS while a real wireless access point looks like this: http://www.ruckuswireless.com/products/a...eflex-r300

You actually disable the routers wifi and solely use this device.

However im not sure if its been asked.. but can you list your laptops brand and model number?

The laptop is a Lenovo Z50. It is only about 8 months old. If I do as you suggest will I just not be creating other possible issues by disabling the routers wifi? Like there are other rooms I like to have assess on. Would I need a device for each room? Also as i am not very technical I may struggle with all of this. My router is not overly used, I live in my own at present and my daughter is here at weekends. there are not massive demands on it.
I have gave up on AIR now so it may be my best best to get the Melco working as then i wont need to look at this

Thanks for the input. much appreciated.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
(23-Oct-2015, 01:09)hk6230 Wrote: Hi Steve,

You may download this nifty utility to test your wifi strengths at your home. Below is the extract of what it does and a link for you to download it. Cheers.
-----------------

"WifiInfoView scans the wireless networks in your area and displays extensive information about them, including: Network Name (SSID), MAC Address, PHY Type (802.11g or 802.11n), RSSI, Signal Quality, Frequency, Channel Number, Maximum Speed, Company Name, Router Model and Router Name (Only for routers that provides this information), and more... "

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html

Thanks for this but I am very wary about downloading stuff on my lap top that I do not understand, after a bad experience in the past.
womaz if your place is small and the router nearby i doubt that it will be the issue.
It's a modern apartment so yes I think it's small. The router is about 8m away from the lap top when it is in the kitchen.
can i please get you to try a couple things for me.

if you are in windows 7 open the start bar and in the search bar at the bottom type in device manager, then click on the program that comes up called device manager

if you are in windows 8 open the right hand panel with the swipe from the top right hand corner and click on the search bar and search for device manager then click on the program that comes up called device manager

once you are inside device manager find "network adapters" and expand the listing by clicking on the arrow to the left of the word.

then you will see either 1 or 2 items come up. maybe a gigabit ethernet controller and a wifi controller.

right click on the wifi controller and then click on properties.

go to advanced, then you should see a heading called bluetooth in the list. to the right of the big box there is a little one with Value above it. If bluetooth is enabled, disable it.

then click on the power management tab.

There is a box that says "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

uncheck that box.

then click ok. see if there are any improvements!