Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Fondamenta Label
On our side, it's simple: Michel Navarra - André Navarra's son - and I heard every single release of Navarra's! LPs, Cds... and tapes!
The Lost Recordings & Fondamenta Music Labels
Devialet 1000 Pro, Focal Stella, Riffaud Saturn Turntable, Lyra Atlas, Ortofon Synergy, Miyajima Zero, Whest Audio Reference V Phono Preamp, Absolue Creations Tim-Reference Cables, 
Devialet 220, Focal Diablo Evo, Absolue Creations Ul-tim cables
Phantom Gold + White tree
Phantom Reactor 900
(27-Nov-2016, 13:38)Phoenix Wrote: On our side, it's simple: Michel Navarra - André Navarra's son - and I heard every single release of Navarra's! LPs, Cds... and tapes!

As I wrote before, I don't think I've ever heard a better combination of quality of performance and sound in my system. I don't listen to a lot of orchestral recordings because I find that squashed dynamics and homogenized tone ruins the experience for me. I'm absolutely taken with the Lalo recording at the moment. It has maybe the best string/brass sound I've heard and the dynamic punch is incredible. With the Devialet at -10 this really sounds to me like live symphonic music of the very highest caliber.
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

(27-Nov-2016, 12:40)NickB Wrote:
(26-Nov-2016, 16:21)yabaVR Wrote: After lots of wiggle the download of the Navarra recordings in 6 parts happend to be easy.

Now I listened to some of the recordings, every CD recorded at different places/times like you can hear.

As I understand the Phoenix Process the ultimate AD conversion is made with a Devialet amp (I think the 'old' Expert Line was at work?).
Technically the recordings are stunning in the fact of having a very low level of jitter in it. Very smooth, no edges, very homogeneous...nice  Smile

The sound could be very healing to some D owner who still have some digital edginess in their audio chain. They will be very pleased.

But...and I can only speculate on this, there was very much processing done after AD conversion and for my taste it was overdone. CD1 sounds kind of dull to me and CD2 being the best in respect of SQ for me (especially the duet recordings a very good). 

The processing cut down the sough of the analogue recordings to a very low level and just to me the instruments lack of the high transients as does the decay of room reverberation. The tension of the musical representation suffers in a way of that.
It may not be of much respect to say the instruments (especially the cello) sound 'dead' but (and this I don't know) either the digital processing was overdone or the recording itself (since being kind of 'old') are not of high resolution.

The music itself is gorgeous and as their date of origin is in the first analogue stereo years it wouldn't bother me to hear that (in form of sough and the like) if I can only get more of the 'living' instrument to hear from.

Maybe Phoenix can resolve on some processes made while mastering this beautiful music.

Congrets for the job anyway. I'm tensed to hear future recordings made by the Phoenix Processing.

gui

Is this what's termed damning with faint praise.

Not sure how you are able to tell that what your hearing (or not) is the re-mastering or the quality (or lack of) on the master tapes.

No damning from my side. I was rather questioning how/what they did while remastering.
Phoenix claims that no harm is done to the music signal cleaning it up while remastering. That's a strong claim. I for myself heard quiet the opposite of that with other remaster when comparing it to the original. Especially the strongly reduced sough of an analogue recording is the bad as I experienced. Never before heard such a digital processing not deleting fine details in the music and there is very low sough on the Navarra remastering, hence my questioning. But if they are right on what they claim...my congrats. A comparison  to the same recording published on another label should give a hint on that though. Very interesting.

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
You can easily compare the Brahms by Supraphon or the Elgar by Testament. While, please, feel free to compare 2 24-bit files, once already released, the second comes from us, when we were testing the Phoenix Mastering process... Dean Martin's Volare.
Enjoy!
www.fondamenta-music.com/download/Volare.zip
Devialet 1000 Pro, Focal Stella, Riffaud Saturn Turntable, Lyra Atlas, Ortofon Synergy, Miyajima Zero, Whest Audio Reference V Phono Preamp, Absolue Creations Tim-Reference Cables, 
Phantom Reactor 900
So the first file was the source for the remastering of the second file?
Unbelievable! What a difference. Really impressive what you guys did there.
And that comes from someone who usually hates remastered versions.
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
(27-Nov-2016, 22:45)Phoenix Wrote: You can easily compare the Brahms by Supraphon or the Elgar by Testament. While, please, feel free to compare 2 24-bit files, once already released, the second comes from us, when we were testing the Phoenix Mastering process... Dean Martin's Volare.
Enjoy!
www.fondamenta-music.com/download/Volare.zip

Hello,
even with a notebook (sound by Dynaudio...) , I hear a big difference!

But I still have problems with converting .aif files!
No problem with the second (Phoenix) file, but with the first one, I have this error message if I convert it in a .wav file with foobar2000:

"1 out of 1 tracks converted with minor problems.
Source: "C:\Users\Sylvain\Downloads\2016-11-28\Volare\01 Volare.aif
  Incomplete or malformed chunk encountered at 262174 bytes
  AIFF frame count does not match data length"

I tried another converter, but it did not work at all.

Best regards,
  Sylvain
Devialet 800, Focal Utopia Diva (SAM), Roon 1.3 (build 242, Devialet Air in Roon) + Audio PC (customized Windows 10) + Android app
France
Dear Cylob, the 1st is not the source of the second of course. Both comes from the same source!

Dear Sylvain, I can't help you much since we don't have any windows computers but look if your converters work under a 176.4 kHz sample
Phantom Reactor 900
(28-Nov-2016, 10:11)Phoenix Wrote: Dear Cylob, the 1st is not the source of the second of course. Both comes from the same source!

Dear Sylvain, I can't help you much since we don't have any windows computers but look if your converters work under a 176.4 kHz sample

Do I get this right? The first is already remastered from the source and the 2nd ist remastered by using the Phoenix Processing???

Ok...Phoenix, I have to apologize for just to put in question that you did 'harm' to the music signal if the Navarra Recordings were of equal bad source quality as the 'Volare' recording by Dean Martin .

You made a stunning job and it's kind of a conservation of historical recordings in never before heard quality then. In that case this should be done to every music recording of given value of that era.

If the Devialet promoted recordings are remastered of an equal bad source quality as the Dean Martin 'Volare' I can now understand the pompous promotion by Devialet.
But keeping the whole thing in such a secret twilight how can we know about the goodness of this technology?

They just could have given us a teaser of 30s from the original source and of the Phoenix remastered one and...no questions/complains would have happened from my side.

Perhaps, Phoenix, you are allowed to give us a 30s teaser of one track of the original source of the Navarra recordings Rolleyes ? That would be very kind (and of good promotion) Big Grin

Congrats, great job,

gui

p.s.
Now I can switch off my analytical brain and dive into the realm of this beautyful music. Thanx for that...
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
The 2nd is remastered from the source too, using Phoenix Mastering.
Again, Phoenix Mastering is not only an exclusive digital process:
Phoenix is based on 4 steps:
1 – We clean and restore the physical condition of the analog sources
2 – We modified old devices and even built some of our own to perfectly read the sources
3 - converting the audio signals. What can be better than Devialet converters?
4 - treating it with new algorithms which allow us to delete flaws as whiff or crackles without any damages to the sound spectrum
Phantom Reactor 900
Hi Phoenix,

Last week I bought the Navarra album and the Vladimir Tropp album in HD quality, both of which are fantastic with regard to sound quality and interpretation of the music.
However, I was a bit disappointed that both downloads do not include a booklet.
Is there any reason, why they are not available? I sent an email to contact@fondamenta-music.com, but there was no reply until now.

I converted all tracks on my iMac with dbPoweramp from aiff to Apple lossless (mp4).
For each track I get a warning similar to the one that Sylvain27 mentioned, but all tracks are converted completely and the result seems just fine.
Audirvana does not recognize all of the originally downloaded aiff tracks (the metadata of about 2 of 10 tracks is not shown). However, all the converted mp4-tracks are perfectly shown in the Audirvana library.
Something seems to be odd about the aiff files...
Mac Mini - HQPlayer 4 - USB - D1000 - Gauder Akustik Cassiano
Isolated cables made from conductive material