Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
master / slave digital cable for 440Pro
(11-Dec-2016, 09:38)Confused Wrote: ...
It is also worth noting that the Audioquest Carbon cable supplied for the master companion link is directional, and if you use the inputs on the companion, this cable has to work in the 'wrong' direction.  Oh the utter horror!

Think of the poor electrons, struggling against the arrows...  That's bound to cause all sorts of upset timing between the two units.    Angel
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(11-Dec-2016, 09:38)Confused Wrote: For the record, my 1000 Pro came with a very nice Audioquest Carbon cable for the master companion link, and also for the trigger cable. (which is a bit OTT)

Confused

As I'm getting my D-P's upgraded as two seperate 250Pro's won't get the cables as standard, but Devialet support have sent a request with my 2nd upgrade to ask them to include the the link cable. I didn't realise the 1000Pro also came with a trigger cable, could I ask a favour - do you have a photo of it, or which one it is so I could ask them to add this also.

Here in Australia (and other countries) we're only getting a kettle power cord with our new Pro's 

1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
This is the trigger cable that came with my 1000 Pro, I note that although it is branded as Audioquest, it does not indicate a model name such as 'Carbon' or whatever, which most Audioquest cables do. It is also directional! Which is slightly hilarious considering it's just a trigger cable. Having said that, it is a very nice cable for a trigger cable, very nice indeed.

1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(11-Dec-2016, 09:38)Confused Wrote:
(10-Dec-2016, 12:48)Axel Wrote:
(10-Dec-2016, 10:31)Confused Wrote: One thing occurs to me reading these posts, I presume most D400 users received the Chrystal cable when originally buying the 400, or maybe when upgrading by buying a companion?  I also presume that D400 owners sent the Chrystal cable back with the amps when they were sent for the 440 Pro upgrade?  If so, is this not just a case of owners getting their old Crystal cable back?  Did anyone send the 400 back without the old Crystal cable but still received one back with the 440 Pro? Shy

I think the OP is getting confused. The amps came back with Audioquest mains cables, not interconnects.

I sent my 400s back with exactly what they wanted, which didn't include interconnects, so I've ended up with two crystals as they sent one back with the upgraded amps. Bloody right too, considering the price. And if you're going to go the whole way: new boxes, manuals, mains cables, gloves and guarantee etc., it would be silly to spoil the ship for a 'haporth of tar, and not supply them!

I am not sure if the OP is all that confused.  For the record, my 1000 Pro came with a very nice Audioquest Carbon cable for the master companion link, and also for the trigger cable. (which is a bit OTT)  This was a new 1000 Pro and my 'part exchange' D800 went back with it's Crystal cable for the new owner to enjoy.   So obtaining a sneaky extra Crystal cable perhaps shows one potential benefit of getting the upgrade rather than part exchanging.  It is also worth noting that the Audioquest Carbon cable supplied for the master companion link is directional, and if you use the inputs on the companion, this cable has to work in the 'wrong' direction.  Oh the utter horror!  Ironically my nice new Audioquest Carbon cable is sat in a box waiting for me to decide where to use it, I am running the Audioprana RCA to AES cable for the master companion link.

I was under the impression that 440s were supposed to ship with Audioquest mains cables and Crystal interconnect. And considering that the OP was upgrading a 400, that's why I gave the response that I did. The 1000 Pro, being a dearer model, comes with a better set of cables. Or does it? Is the Audioquest better quality than the Crystal? What mains cable do you get with the 1000 Pro?
I wasn't trying to be "sneaky" when I sent my amps back without the connecting lead, Devialet didn't ask for them and didn't have to supply a new one as they knew I already had one.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Sorry Axel!  I did not mean to be rude using the term 'sneaky'!  In fact, for me it is more a term of endearment. Confused   For the record, the 1000 Pro comes with Audioquest NRG-X3 power cables.  As for the Crystal interconnect, I believe that these are a LOT more expensive that the Audioquest Carbon equivalent!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(11-Dec-2016, 11:57)Confused Wrote: Sorry Axel!  I did not mean to be rude using the term 'sneaky'!  In fact, for me it is more a term of endearment. Confused   For the record, the 1000 Pro comes with Audioquest NRG-X3 power cables.  As for the Crystal interconnect, I believe that these are a LOT more expensive that the Audioquest Carbon equivalent!
My new 440 came with identical cables to Confused's 1000.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
(11-Dec-2016, 11:57)Confused Wrote: Sorry Axel!  I did not mean to be rude using the term 'sneaky'!  In fact, for me it is more a term of endearment. Confused   For the record, the 1000 Pro comes with Audioquest NRG-X3 power cables.  As for the Crystal interconnect, I believe that these are a LOT more expensive that the Audioquest Carbon equivalent!

No offence taken! I often use it myself e.g. "Might get another sneaky pint in while she's in the ladies" Smile
Is that the same power cable that ships with the 440? It's definitely an NRG, but I can't see mine now to confirm, in fact you can't see any cables in my rack.  Because I've now got a pair of Crystals, am I right in thinking that I could use these as a analogue interconnects? I'm sure I read somewhere that they were interchangeable. At present, I use them daisychained to send digital from my Sonos to my Mutec.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Seems as if the cables Devialet supply for the upgrades is hit and miss.
  • Some get full set of Audioquest cables (e.g. Confused)
  • Some get full set of cables, be that combination Audioquest and/or Crystal
  • Some get kettle cord power cables (Australia & others)
Devialet being their consistent inconsisten self
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
(11-Dec-2016, 09:44)thumb5 Wrote:
It is also worth noting that the Audioquest Carbon cable supplied for the master companion link is directional, and if you use the inputs on the companion, this cable has to work in the 'wrong' direction.  Oh the utter horror!

Think of the poor electrons, struggling against the arrows...  That's bound to cause all sorts of upset timing between the two units.    Angel

I have asked AudioQuest about the directionally of their cables in relation to Devialet master/Companion use - here the reply - best wishes Jens:

The directionality of the cable is an interesting one, when we make our copper based cables we extrude large bar stock of copper into a long small conductor. Doing this stretches out the grains that from the copper, changing its internal structure (that sounds like snake oil, but google it, its quite interesting). This has 2 impacts on the cable. First, with a smaller number of longer grains there are fewer barriers to the signal as it passes along the cable. Second, it affects the resistance the cable gives to external RF interference in one direction, versus the other. Thus the directionality is less about the signal itself, and more about how interference can be most efficiently dropped out of the cable, and the resulting impact that has on sound.

In a perfect world, such a cable would only receive a signal in one direction. However, modern electronics are a lot smarter than they used to be, and Devialet is a good example of this. 

The Carbon cable is a copper cable, with 5% of its diameter being silver (the silver is on the surface of the cable, where there is 100% current density at all frequencies). In this case, reversing the direction would sound slightly different. However the Wild cable is pure silver, which has less of an issue with Grain structure, and is also extremely well shielded against external interference (the Carbon has 5 layers of foil and carbon shielding, whereas the Wild has 7 layers and improved EMI absorption).

Therefore directionality of a Wild cable would be less of an issue in such a setup than directionality of a Carbon cable. However, as is always the case, trust your ears and experiment!
Devialet Expert 1000 Pro Core Infinity, 2 x Nordost Tyr2 Power Cable, 2 x 3 x IsoAcoustics Orea Bronze Isolator Pods, AudioQuest WEL Signature Digital RCA-RCA / SimAudio MOON NEO 260D CD Transport, Nordost Tyr2 Power Cable, 3 x IsoAcoustics Orea Bronze Isolator Pods, AudioQuest Wild Digital AES/EBU / Rega RP10 w. Aphelion Pickup, Nordost Tyr2 Power Cable / Innuos Statement 4TB, Nordost Tyr2 Power Cable, 3 x IsoAcoustics Orea Bourdeaux IsoAcoustics Isolator Pods + 3 x IsoAcoustics Orea Indigo IsoAcoustics Isolator Pods , TelluriumQ Silver Diamond USB / Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3, IsoAcoustics Gaia I Isolator Pods, TelluriumQ Statement Speaker Cable and Jumpers / B&W DB1D, Nordost TYR2 Power Cable, 2 x AudioQuest Wild Dog Analog RCA-RCA / AudioQuest Niagra 7000 Low-Z Power Noise-Dissipation System, Nordost Valhalla2 Power Cable, 4 x IsoAcoustics Orea Bourdeaux Isolator Pods  / 3 x Dedicated 16 AMP power line with Furutec FT-SWS NCF Wall socket / Supra Ethernet 8 cables and AQVOX AQ-Switch SE.
(14-Dec-2016, 11:17)JensRoland Wrote:
(11-Dec-2016, 09:44)thumb5 Wrote:

I have asked AudioQuest about the directionally of their cables in relation to Devialet master/Companion use - here the reply - best wishes Jens:

The directionality of the cable is an interesting one, when we make our copper based cables we extrude large bar stock of copper into a long small conductor. Doing this stretches out the grains that from the copper, changing its internal structure (that sounds like snake oil, but google it, its quite interesting). This has 2 impacts on the cable. First, with a smaller number of longer grains there are fewer barriers to the signal as it passes along the cable. Second, it affects the resistance the cable gives to external RF interference in one direction, versus the other. Thus the directionality is less about the signal itself, and more about how interference can be most efficiently dropped out of the cable, and the resulting impact that has on sound.

In a perfect world, such a cable would only receive a signal in one direction. However, modern electronics are a lot smarter than they used to be, and Devialet is a good example of this. 

The Carbon cable is a copper cable, with 5% of its diameter being silver (the silver is on the surface of the cable, where there is 100% current density at all frequencies). In this case, reversing the direction would sound slightly different. However the Wild cable is pure silver, which has less of an issue with Grain structure, and is also extremely well shielded against external interference (the Carbon has 5 layers of foil and carbon shielding, whereas the Wild has 7 layers and improved EMI absorption).

Therefore directionality of a Wild cable would be less of an issue in such a setup than directionality of a Carbon cable. However, as is always the case, trust your ears and experiment!

What is a "Wild" cable?  Is the one included Wild or Carbon?
(I assume we are talking about the RS232 cable, as opposed to the SPDIF cable?)

By the way, do we know what is being passed thru the SPDIF Link cable and the RS232 cable?  I understand that decoding and amplification is done individually when in dual mono mode?