Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pro 220 or D400
I've posted on here before my thoughts I still find it hard to believe a 220 pro can outperform a d400 with dual mono configuration and dual power supplies. Absolutely fantastic if it does but can't see that myself. The difference between the 200 to 400 in my system was clear to see, more power more transparency more snap and realism. Tried a d250 also in my system and that was too refined preferred my 400 by a country mile. Every one has a different perspective but if the 220 does all this then Devialet are onto a winner.
I could have done the upgrade and kept my Sophia 3's but i believe I have spent my money wisely by upgrading the Sophia's to Wilson Sasha's which has given me more of everything I enjoy.
Devialet D400
Wilson Sasha
Onkyo Cd transport via aes/ebu
Direct Drive Turntable Micro Benz Gold MC Cartridge
2 x Shunyata Sigma Digital Power Cord
Transparent Super MM2 Speaker Cable
(15-Dec-2016, 20:07)egg1dog Wrote: I've posted on here before my thoughts I still find it hard to believe a 220 pro can outperform a d400 with dual mono configuration and dual power supplies. Absolutely fantastic if it does but can't see that myself. The difference between the 200 to 400 in my system was clear to see, more power more transparency more snap and realism. Tried a d250 also in my system and that was too refined preferred my 400 by a country mile. Every one has a different perspective but if the 220 does all this then Devialet are onto a winner.
I could have done the upgrade and kept my Sophia 3's but i believe I have spent my money wisely by upgrading the Sophia's to Wilson Sasha's which has given me more of everything I enjoy.

It does seem incredible that the 220 Pro could match the D400.
The only way I can really find out is to hear them both myself. I may do this as OAC have been very helpful. I can see why they have a loyal following.

I dont listen to classical or jazz at all and I do listen to a lot of modern music, a lot of it will not be well recorded I doubt. If the Pro is even more revealing than the 200 this could be an issue.
Its a tough one to call, and I like so many different types of music. Yesterday had a chance t listen to music for a long time and it went from Metallica, Sarah Jarosz, Rickie Lee Jones, Oasis and finished off with a Hed Kandi dance music CD.

Still pondering. Big Grin
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I've gone from 200 > 400 > 440 and although I haven't done the dem, I could easily see a 220 outperforming a 400, in fact it would not shock me at all if someone reported a 220 beating a 800.

Have you asked OAC their opinion about your amp choices into your speakers?
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
(17-Dec-2016, 16:33)Soniclife Wrote: I've gone from 200 > 400 > 440 and although I haven't done the dem, I could easily see a 220 outperforming a 400, in fact it would not shock me at all if someone reported a 220 beating a 800.

Have you asked OAC their opinion about your amp choices into your speakers?

That's interesting and that does seem to be the consensus.
I may ask them about their opinion thanks
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(17-Dec-2016, 15:12)Womaz Wrote:
(15-Dec-2016, 20:07)egg1dog Wrote: I've posted on here before my thoughts I still find it hard to believe a 220 pro can outperform a d400 with dual mono configuration and dual power supplies. Absolutely fantastic if it does but can't see that myself. The difference between the 200 to 400 in my system was clear to see, more power more transparency more snap and realism. Tried a d250 also in my system and that was too refined preferred my 400 by a country mile. Every one has a different perspective but if the 220 does all this then Devialet are onto a winner.

It does seem incredible that the 220 Pro could match the D400.
The only way I can really find out is to hear them both myself. I may do this as OAC have been very helpful. I can see why they have a loyal following.

I dont listen to classical or jazz at all and I do listen to a lot of modern music, a lot of it will not be well recorded I doubt. If the Pro is even more revealing than the 200 this could be an issue.
Its a tough one to call, and I like so many different types of music. Yesterday had a chance t listen to music for a long time and it went from Metallica, Sarah Jarosz, Rickie Lee Jones, Oasis and finished off with a Hed Kandi dance music CD.

Still pondering.  Big Grin
Please let me know if you do the comparison. Will be interesting to hear someones opinion who hasn't done the upgrade rather than from someone who has had the upgrade done. Jeff Fritz professional unbiased review of the 1000pro states on some tracks he found it hard to distinguish from the D200 !
Devialet D400
Wilson Sasha
I suggest that Jeff visit an audiologist then asap
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(17-Dec-2016, 18:36)NickB Wrote: I suggest that Jeff visit an audiologist then asap

Here it is http://www.soundstageultra.com/index.php...amplifiers :-
Devialet D400
Wilson Sasha
I am a bit surprised too on the absoluteness of some reviews. I had kind of made up my mind about upgrading my 200 to 220. I could for the reduced price, but nevertheless decided to compare 200 to 220 and 400 before I made a decision.

As I stated before I found the 220 be 'better' in most ways and different sounding than the 200. But the double mono 400 had many benefits a single 220 unit simply doesn't have. The more difficult your speakers are to drive the more power you will need, but the extra power of a 400/440 also creates an effortlessness that I didn't hear with the single 220. I personally found the 200/400 also more neutral sounding, but that might have been my personal preference, taste and in my setup, speakers etc.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
If you can get a D200 companion you better build up a D400... my opinion

Distributors of High-End Audio equipment & accessories & International Exclusive dealers
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brands:  HiDiamond, Essence of Music, Crystal Cable, Siltech Cable, VertexAQ, Audeze, Musical Fidelity, Wilson Benesch, Cardas Cables, Sennheiser, MusicalStones, Klutz Design. Acoustic Preference, Dynaudio, PS Audio, Ayon Audio, Dan D'agostino and many more Smile
Cosmosound Technologies (www.cosmo-tech.info)
eshop: www.echosaudio.net
(18-Dec-2016, 10:43)kerkhoffd Wrote: I am a bit surprised too on the absoluteness of some reviews. I had kind of made up my mind about upgrading my 200 to 220. I could for the reduced price, but nevertheless decided to compare 200 to 220 and 400 before I made a decision.

As I stated before I found the 220 be 'better' in most ways and different sounding than the 200. But the double mono 400 had many benefits a single 220 unit simply doesn't have. The more difficult your speakers are to drive the more power you will need, but the extra power of a 400/440 also creates an effortlessness that I didn't hear with the single 220. I personally found the 200/400 also more neutral sounding, but that might have been my personal preference, taste and in my setup, speakers etc.

There is no right or wrong in upgrading or sticking with what you have. I heard the 440 at the Whittlebury show but was difficult to assess in such a large room with unfamiliar Vivid speakers. What does the upgrade bring ? We are all different i like to be challenged when i listen with plenty of snap (the 250 was too refined for my ears) There are so many variables in all our systems. I can change the presentation of my sound in so many ways without spending a penny.....moving my Sasha's a few inches closer to my listening chair reduces the bass output and increases treble attack. In fact I recently had a mains block specially made for my Shunyata power cables and this has tightened up the bass in a way many of the new pro owners have described.

One day in the future I may trade in my 400 for the 440 but not before a proper demonstration. So many ways to spend our hard earned cash this is why we love this crazy hobby and Devialet !!
Devialet D400
Wilson Sasha