Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SAM effects
SAM is still alive. I have just discovered a SAM profile for my Yamaha NS 1000Ms, for which voting had been stuck at a handful since the voting scheme was introduced.

I appreciate, of course, that the effect will be music-dependent, but I can't say that it does much. The graphical representation of the changes SAM effects appears modest - perhaps why I can't hear anything convincing.

Also, I can't discover how to vary the degree of SAM effect. I understood it was selectable in the range 0-100%.

Fraser
(19-Dec-2016, 15:38)fraserhadden Wrote: SAM is still alive. I have just discovered a SAM profile for my Yamaha NS 1000Ms, for which voting had been stuck at a handful since the voting scheme was introduced.

I appreciate, of course, that the effect will be music-dependent, but I can't say that it does much. The graphical representation of the changes SAM effects appears modest - perhaps why I can't hear anything convincing.

Also, I can't discover how to vary the degree of SAM effect. I understood it was selectable in the range 0-100%.

Fraser

Press the tone button on the remote. First press gives balance, second-bass, third-treble and fourth-SAM percentage (assuming that SAM has been activated in the Configurator).
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Long press the center button. Then follow Axel's instructions to toggle through the parameters.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(20-Dec-2016, 04:05)Dr Tone Wrote: Long press the center button. Then follow Axel's instructions to toggle through the parameters.

Not the center button, buddy. The tone button is the right hand one, which if you give a long press, will take you into the information screens. Smile
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
That depends on how you have configured your remote I suppose.
Devialet 220 Expert Pro CI | Sonus Faber Olympica II | Crystal cable speaker cables, interlink and power cables | ROON Rock on Intel NUC | Netherlands
(20-Dec-2016, 12:42)Axel Wrote:
(20-Dec-2016, 04:05)Dr Tone Wrote: Long press the center button. Then follow Axel's instructions to toggle through the parameters.

Not the center button, buddy. The tone button is the right hand one, which if you give a long press, will take you into the information screens. Smile

Yes long pressing right button takes you to the information screen.  Long pressing center button takes you to the adjustments, balance control first.  Then switch through the various adjustment screens with the right and left buttons.  Volume control to adjust.

Long press center button to exit adjustment screens.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(20-Dec-2016, 14:07)Dr Tone Wrote:
(20-Dec-2016, 12:42)Axel Wrote:

Yes long pressing right button takes you to the information screen.  Long pressing center button takes you to the adjustments, balance control first.  Then switch through the various adjustment screens with the right and left buttons.  Volume control to adjust.

Have you got a remote from a D250 or similar?  My remote - in standard configuration - doesn't work like that at all. A long press on the center button (mute) does nothing on mine. The right hand button (tone) controls the tone, balance and SAM settings after a short press, or information screens after a long press.
South Coast England
(20-Dec-2016, 15:49)Axel Wrote:
(20-Dec-2016, 14:07)Dr Tone Wrote:
(20-Dec-2016, 12:42)Axel Wrote: Not the center button, buddy. The tone button is the right hand one, which if you give a long press, will take you into the information screens. Smile

Have you got a remote from a D250 or similar?  My remote - normally configured - doesn't work like that at all. A long press on the center button (mute) does nothing on mine. The right hand button (tone) controls the tone, balance and SAM settings after a short press, or information screens after a long press.

D200 remote.  I don't have a button configured to balance and tone and that's obviously the difference.  So long pressing the center button must only work in that situation. I assume people that have trouble finding the SAM % control might be in the same situation.

Smile

(20-Dec-2016, 15:59)Dr Tone Wrote:
(20-Dec-2016, 15:49)Axel Wrote:
(20-Dec-2016, 14:07)Dr Tone Wrote: Yes long pressing right button takes you to the information screen.  Long pressing center button takes you to the adjustments, balance control first.  Then switch through the various adjustment screens with the right and left buttons.  Volume control to adjust.

Have you got a remote from a D250 or similar?  My remote - normally configured - doesn't work like that at all. A long press on the center button (mute) does nothing on mine. The right hand button (tone) controls the tone, balance and SAM settings after a short press, or information screens after a long press.

D200 remote.  I don't have a button configured to balance and tone and that's obviously the difference.  So long pressing the center button must only work in that situation.  I assume people that have trouble finding the SAM % control might be in the same situation.

Smile

Yeah, you must be right. In any case, I guess the OP has got the gist of it, and can now access his SAM settings.  Smile
I see that you're logged in, Fraser. Any joy?
South Coast England
Thanks to all.

With my configuration - right button set to SAM On/Off toggle, but otherwise standard - it is indeed a long press on the centre button that allows toggling through the options, including SAM, and adjusting them.

Disappointingly, SAM was set to 100%, so it appears to do very little with the Yamahas. Still good value, of course  Big Grin

Fraser