Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favourite albums of 2016
Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
Christine and the Queens - Chaleur Humaine
Blood Orange - Freetown Sound
Glass Animals - How to be a human being
Emily Loizeau - Mona
Tweaked Mac Mini + Audirvana - Bridge ethernet - Metrum Ambre with RopieeXL - Coax - D120 - Mulidine Cadence
Cables : TWL Digital American - Coax cable : l'atelier acoustik - Ethernet : Monoprice cat5 UTP - Speakers : Duelund 16 awg
The Impossible Gentlemen-Let's Get Deluxe.
Melody Gardot-The Currency Of Man.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
I thought this would be an interesting thread and I have listened to a few of the albums named in here.

May even purchase the Melody Gardot album as love it. Also like the Glass Animals album and Emily Loizeu.

@badoun your tastes are similar to mine I think

To those of you who only chose one or two is this because you no longer buy/ listen to new albums?
Also going to check out Blackstar again. Loved early Bowie as was brought up on him and last year I rebought the Ziggy Stardust album as my vinyl perished.

Keep the posts coming please
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(22-Dec-2016, 18:22)Womaz Wrote: I thought this would be an interesting thread and I have listened to a few of the albums named in here.

May even purchase the Melody Gardot album as love it.  Also like the Glass Animals album and Emily Loizeu.

@badoun your tastes are similar to mine I think

To those of you who only chose one or two is this because you no longer buy/ listen to new albums?
Also going to check out Blackstar again. Loved early Bowie as was brought up on him and last year I rebought the Ziggy Stardust album as my vinyl perished.

Keep the posts coming please
I am one of those that only picked one.  I actually bought a lot of albums in 2016, but only two of these was actually released in 2016, as far as I can remember.

I too 'grew up' on Bowie, I think a case of having older brothers, so I can recall Bowie being played in the house as part of my very earliest memories.  I've also got a copy of Aladdin Sane, Hunky Dory and others on compact cassette somewhere, much original vinyl, I could go on.  In fact I will go on, my collection starts with an original 1969 7" copy of 'A Space Oddity'.  This is mono and on the Phillips record label.

A notice that a couple of others have mentioned Radiohead's 'A Moon Shaped Pool', this is one other release I bought in 2016 that was actually released in 2016) but to be honest I didn't like it much!  Although seeing it listed by others here has inspired me to give it another listen over the Christmas break, maybe it will grow on me, you never know.  (or I might just listen to 'The Bends' again instead) Shy

But having said all that, in my case once I had listed Bowies 'Blackstar', quite frankly that was it for me, it would not have felt right to list anything else.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions - Until The Hunter: possibly my favourite album for not just 2016, but maybe a few years.
Devialet 220 Pro, TQ Black Mains & Ultra Black Speaker Cables, Naim Ovators S600, Sonore microRendu (Roon & HQP) with Uptone JS-2
TRNC (North Cyprus)
my favourite album later 2016

kurt elling passion world

great recording just on usuall dp power amp software 16 bit 44 straight to the aurender
Well, I've found lots of albums during 2016 that I really like, but many of them were released some time ago.  Here are my favourites within the rules (mostly):

Melody Gardot "Currency of Man"

(Not strictly allowed, I think, as it was released in 2015, but if Axel can have it...I'm going to bend the rules as well.)

A lovely blend of jazz, blues, soul and funk in various proportions.  Her live performance of the album was amazing, one of the best concerts I've ever been too.

North Sea Radio Orchestra "Dronne"

I really don't know how to describe this.  It has elements of classical (chamber) music and folk, but sounds very fresh and modern.  One of those albums that takes some listening to reveal its goodness and is never less than interesting.  It was a nice surprise to discover this, from a band I've never heard before.

Submotion Orchestra "Colour Theory"

For me, this is the album London Grammar's "If You Wait" should have been, if that makes any sense at all.  I'm only a dabbler in electronica but this really hits the spot.

Opeth "Sorceress"

This seems to be more or less a homage to 1970s prog rock, and instantly takes me back four decades!  I can hear Wishbone Ash, Barclay James Harvest, Jethro Tull; the list goes on.  Not every track is a winner, but as an album it really puts a smile on my face.

Quatuor Modigliani: String Quartets by Dvořák, Bartók, and Dohnányi

These quartets make a great combination, and the Modigliani quartet plays them superbly.  It's a lovely recording, too.

Honourable mentions

Van der Graaf Generator "Do Not Disturb"

Agnes Obel "Citizen Of Glass"

Kitty McFarlane "Tide & Time"

Riverside "Eye of the Soundscape"

GoGo Penguin "Man Made Object"

Alexei Lubimov: "Concord" - piano works by Ives, Berg, and Webern

banks "The Altar"
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
@ Womaz : glad you like Emily Loizeau, not a well known singer even in France but good stuff. Make me think of Agnes Obel sometime
@ Confused : try Radiohead's a moon shaped pool again and again, it will grow on you. Present tense is one of my favorite song in all Radiohead's discography.
Merry Christmas to all.
Sebastien
Tweaked Mac Mini + Audirvana - Bridge ethernet - Metrum Ambre with RopieeXL - Coax - D120 - Mulidine Cadence
Cables : TWL Digital American - Coax cable : l'atelier acoustik - Ethernet : Monoprice cat5 UTP - Speakers : Duelund 16 awg
My favourite albums are:
Ben harper : call it what it is
Very rocky acoustic sweet album: all tracks are superb
Sq is average
William bell-this is where i live :just magnificient blues voicy and rythmic( just bought the llbum from qobuz high res with 30%discount)
Gregory porter : take me to the alley
Vanessa fernandez: when the levee breaks: really really good album and sounds just musical and detailed: voicy and acoustical !
Best of chris isaak( us version) lovely and sounds very good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hello sansoum - that William Bell album sounds great, another new one for me - thanks!
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK