Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
ROON
Oh dear, long reply lost into the ether.

I have run RoonServer on my Synology NAS, which has a older CPU and 3GBs of RAM, it worked fine, save searches in Roon were noticeably slower. I wouldn't recommend it for an optimal experience. I believe your NAS only has 2GBs of Ram which is going to be less than optimal.

Maximum amount of usable memory on a 32 Bit OS is 4GB.

If you decide to go down the Roon Core Kit path, you could leverage you existing NAS, and add either an Intel NUC5/NUC6 running either Core i3/Core i5. A minimum of 4GB of memory is required and 64GB of storage.

i.e. an Intel NUC6i3 with 16GB of RAM & 256GB M.2 drive would set you back ~ $490

i.e. an Intel NUC6i3 with 8GB of RAM & 256GB M.2 drive would set you back ~ $420

Etc...
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(03-Jan-2017, 02:38)Axel Wrote:
(02-Jan-2017, 17:18)Hifi_swlon Wrote: What he said. You need a 64 bit cpu. Lots of people use specs lower than Roon recommend and seem to be happy - really depends on your library size.
And if you want convolution and eq in three zones simultaneously a NAS isn't going to be ideal Wink

If you run it on your NAS you still need something to connect it to your devialet.

Not quite with you. My NAS is connected to my D via Mutec. Is this no good for Roon?

Oh I see - connected by USB?. I just assumed the NAS would be tucked away elsewhere.
I imagine it would work if you can run Roon on it and the NAS can see the D. I think that might be an edge case though. There's one way to find out......

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(03-Jan-2017, 07:45)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(03-Jan-2017, 02:38)Axel Wrote:
(02-Jan-2017, 17:18)Hifi_swlon Wrote: What he said. You need a 64 bit cpu. Lots of people use specs lower than Roon recommend and seem to be happy - really depends on your library size.
And if you want convolution and eq in three zones simultaneously a NAS isn't going to be ideal Wink

If you run it on your NAS you still need something to connect it to your devialet.

Not quite with you. My NAS is connected to my D via Mutec. Is this no good for Roon?

Oh I see - connected by USB?. I just assumed the NAS would be tucked away elsewhere.
I imagine it would work if you can run Roon on it and the NAS can see the D. I think that might be an edge case though. There's one way to find out......

I asume Axel already runs his NAS and it is connected with USB via a Mutec and then XLR to the D amp but if his NAS is up for the work with Roon that is another question Huh
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Well there are a variety of options for linking the NAS to the Devialet.
I have a Windows VM on the NAS on which I have AIR and Roon Bridge, so everything is on the NAS.
I cannot recommend it 100% yet as I get the occasional dropout which I suspect is a Roon problem as I then need to restart Roon Bridge.
Roon -> AIR -> Ethernet ->  D220-> KEF Reference 3
(03-Jan-2017, 03:02)baddog Wrote: Oh dear, long reply lost into the ether.

I have run RoonServer on my Synology NAS, which has a older CPU and 3GBs of RAM, it worked fine, save searches in Roon were noticeably slower. I wouldn't recommend it for an optimal experience. I believe your NAS only has 2GBs of Ram which is going to be less than optimal.

Maximum amount of usable memory on a 32 Bit OS is 4GB.

If you decide to go down the Roon Core Kit path, you could leverage you existing NAS, and add either an Intel NUC5/NUC6 running either Core i3/Core i5. A minimum of 4GB of memory is required and 64GB of storage.

i.e. an Intel NUC6i3 with 16GB of RAM & 256GB M.2 drive would set you back ~ $490

i.e. an Intel NUC6i3 with 8GB of RAM & 256GB M.2 drive would set you back ~ $420

Etc...

Do you feel the i3 is more than adequate for the role as ROON Core or would a more powerful i5 offer any advantages?  Have been looking at either the NUC6i5SYK or NUC6iSYK and also wondering if one should look to, say, a one TB internal M.2 PCIe drive to host the music library assuming this would be preferred from a sonic perspective.  (have heard that the PCIe bus is the lowest noise of current formats)
wdw
From what I can work out, The best thing you can do for Roon is a super fast hard drive for the database (doesn't matter about the music files themselves apparently) so a new 6i3 with an Nvme m2 sad will probably be fantastic.

Are you planning to run the Roon Core Kit? If so, then currently no extra internal storage is supported and you can't store music on the boot drive so it's USB or a NAS only, its advantage would be that nothing else would be running so the I3 should be really good. In that case a 120gb SSD would be all that was worth buying.

If you want to run windows or regular Linux then the i5 might bring benefits.

Cheers

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roon/RAAT - Dev 250 Pro - AQ Castle Rock - SF Olympica ii
(03-Jan-2017, 12:15)Chris Marshall Wrote: From what I can work out, The best thing you can do for Roon is a super fast hard drive for the database (doesn't matter about the music files themselves apparently) so a new 6i3 with an Nvme m2 sad will probably be fantastic.  

Are you planning to run the Roon Core Kit?  If so, then currently no extra internal storage is supported and you can't store music on the boot drive so it's USB or a NAS only, its advantage would be that nothing else would be running so the I3 should be really good.  In that case a 120gb SSD would be all that was worth buying.  

If you want to run windows or regular Linux then the i5 might bring benefits.

Cheers

Chris

I assume that Windows would be required if I continue using Air3 otherwise the Core Kit sounds perfect.   Discreet, low noise, etc...but without AIR resident on the NUC how would this work....seems USB and a Rendu would be required.?
Yes, if you want to use Air then windows seems the best bet (mac is the other possible).

You can run Air on a different device running windows and Roon bridge but that means 2 computers and is probably only a small benefit.

If Devialet add Roon to the new streamer board then the core kit looks perfect.

Roon/RAAT - Dev 250 Pro - AQ Castle Rock - SF Olympica ii
(03-Jan-2017, 13:01)Chris Marshall Wrote: If Devialet add Roon to the new streamer board then the core kit looks perfect.

Yes, big "if" but would be great.  Roon Core and a Roon ready streamer board.
(03-Jan-2017, 09:06)octaviars Wrote:
(03-Jan-2017, 07:45)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(03-Jan-2017, 02:38)Axel Wrote: Not quite with you. My NAS is connected to my D via Mutec. Is this no good for Roon?

I asume Axel already runs his NAS and it is connected with USB via a Mutec and then XLR to the D amp but if his NAS is up for the work with Roon that is another question Huh

Correct. NAS via USB to Mutec, then XLR to D. The reason I bought the QNAP HS251+ Is that it's fanless. It's situated near to the Devialet, but far enough away that I can't hear the hard drives hunting. I guess you're right: the only way is to try it!

Thanks for your suggestions.

Alex.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England