Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tidal Master Audio has gone Live
(06-Jan-2017, 10:18)r4bbit Wrote: So how would one do to acually hear proper MQA decoding with a Devialet amp? Would you have to put the decoder before the analog in?

You cant if Devialet dont get MQA as the DAC chip has to be considered in the MQA algoritms if I understand it correctly.

I let Tidal do the decoding and that works fine, how big difference will it make if the DAC in the Devialet was a part of the calculation on the MQA decoding I dont know.....
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

From Computer Audiophile:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/conten...surprises/

Quote:

Let me take a minute to explain what this is and why it's a big deal. First, MQA must be decoded for listeners to hear the full quality of the file. Think of it as an SACD with a CD layer. People needed an SACD player to decode the SACD layer of the disc, otherwise the regular CD layer would be played. While not exactly the same, the concept is similar.

When MQA launched, we were told publicly that MQA would only be decoded in hardware (unless played on a mobile device). This meant that people would be required to purchase new MQA enabled DACs to get the full benefit of the technology. The announcement of software decoding means that people only need an app that decodes MQA rather than hardware.

I asked a very high end DAC manufacturer what it saw as the differences between hardware decoding in its DACs and software decoding in an app like Roon (before outputting to its DACs). The answer was a refreshing, "there should be no difference."

That is very interesting to read. And a bit perplexing. I, and I assume many others, have always assumed you HAD to have an MQA capable DAC to get the full benefits of MQA. This says it doesn't

I'm confused to say the least.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I think this is a change from what was originally planned, I guess no one was interested in launching MQA if only a few people would benefit. Software decoding opens the market significantly.

I'd still like Devialet to add decoding as we are at the level of any small improvement being worthwhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roon/RAAT - Dev 250 Pro - AQ Castle Rock - SF Olympica ii
I'm running an Aeris Mini, and this quote appeared on Auralic's FB page today:

Quote:To those who do not have MQA certificated DAC, dont worry, we are also working on a private software based MQA decoder to send signal to your DAC using AURALiC's latest upsampling algorithm. (Disclaimer: this is not going to use any MQA property software code.)

Does anyone know what that's supposed to mean?
Is it just me that want Devialet to get Roon and MQA in the new streamerboard, this will not happen I think but one can always dream.

For the owners of DAC’s without MQA Tidal offers software decoding at 24bit/96khz or 24bit/88khz “studio” quality streaming. To enable this feature, you’ll have to turn on the excluisive mode and MQA decoding in Tidal desktop app otherwise the streaming stays at normal HiFi resolution. If you have a MQA DAC you will get up to 24/384 or 352.8 with Tidal as I see it if the mastertape was in this resolution.

[Image: IMG_3483-1.jpg]
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system

I belief MQA decoding is on by default in Tidal. You can set it of if you want.
Devialet 220 Pro / Wilson Benesch Vertex / Linn LP12 / Crystal Cable Crystalspeak Piccolo Diamond / Audioquest Vodka Ethernet / Roon / The Netherlands
(06-Jan-2017, 15:29)octaviars Wrote: Is it just me that want Devialet to get Roon and MQA in the new streamerboard, this will not happen I think but one can always dream.

A new streamer board wasn't required to decode DSD it certainly shouldn't be required to decode MQA.  But Devialet might sell it as such.

If you have a MQA capable dac and tell the Tidal App to pass through the MQA unmolested to said DAC, it's possible that said DAC would light up 176.4, 192 or more.  I've seen reports of such.

The differences between hardware and software decoding is a big mystery right now.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(06-Jan-2017, 15:56)Dr Tone Wrote:
(06-Jan-2017, 15:29)octaviars Wrote: Is it just me that want Devialet to get Roon and MQA in the new streamerboard, this will not happen I think but one can always dream.

A new streamer board wasn't required to decode DSD it certainly shouldn't be required to decode MQA.  But Devialet might sell it as such.

If you have a MQA capable dac and tell the Tidal App to pass through the MQA unmolested to said DAC, it's possible that said DAC would light up 176.4, 192 or more.  I've seen reports of such.

The differences between hardware and software decoding is a big mystery right now.

Perhaps not that depends on how the hardware decoding is happening that is as you say a mystery.

Second system

(06-Jan-2017, 15:35)KraaijCheck Wrote: I belief MQA decoding is on by default in Tidal. You can set it of if you want.

That is correct as you say you have to set decoding off if you have a MQA DAC.

Second system

[Image: IMG_3483-1.jpg]

No, you're definitely not alone, would be perfect for me too. Now, how do we make it happen, anyone got any blackmail photo's?

Or were they used up to get Air fixed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roon/RAAT - Dev 250 Pro - AQ Castle Rock - SF Olympica ii