Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comparing a 220 Pro to a 200
(05-Nov-2016, 15:20)davslp Wrote: Guys, I have currently a 200. what is better in term of improvement: upgrading to 220 or buying a companion to go to 400 ?

Thanks.

Two D 250s. If you have any thoughts about a Pro upgrade, listen to one first before you throw good money away.
Devialet 250 Pro, Marantz SA-11 S2, Dell 2T HDD/250 SSD/24GB Mem.,using Fidelizer Pro software with JRivers. Hyperion 968 speakers. Cabling consists of Nordost Heimdall 2 power cables to all components with Nordost Qx4 inline to Devialet, all other wiring are Nordost Valhalla. I am tri-wiring the Hyperion 968s. 
 Less is More, more or less
I finally got a 220 Pro home for comparison.

I'll start off by saying the difference is slight. I did all comparisons with tracks I'm very familiar with at the same db setting as I think they are pretty equal volume wise.  I put the 10 firmware back on my D200 prior for the comparison.  I went back and forth between the amps 3-4 times now.

1) The bass has even more control on the D220, it's like the amp has even more damping power now.  I notice less bloom to the bass on my speakers and I think this could be good or bad dependent on the speakers.  This didn't equate to more low bass detail on my speakers.
2) There's an increase in details and air around everything else on the 220Pro.  D200 presentation can be slightly congealed in comparison.
3) There's more impact from instrument and vocals, seems like everything pops out of the speakers a little easier with the 220.  I guess this could be described as more open.
4) No real discernable change in sound stage with my Wilsons.
5) I couldn't really tell a difference in low volume performance either.

One note on 7.1.3 compared to the D220 Pro.  7.1.3 is quite a bit warmer and a little compressed in comparison or maybe laid back is a better description.  If this works for your speakers and you love 7.1.3 I don't think the 220 Pro is necessarily for you.

I didn't find myself instantly tapping my toes like I did with the back breaking Mcintosh, so I don't know if it's the right move for me yet. Maybe I was expecting allot more from the gushing around here?  I'll give it a more extended listen tomorrow and then switch back to the D200, sometimes things need some time to sink in.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

I will say that it took a few days (week?) for me to really begin to appreciate what the Pro brings.   Give yourself that time.  Whether it's the Pro that breaks in or your ears, I can't say, but I very much liked what I was hearing with the Pro.    

Most of my comparison between my 200 and 220 Pro was done in the first week or so of having the 220 Pro.   But I did take the time to compare one last time before selling the 200.   I fell in love with Devialet sound with my 200, but it was the 220 that brought a level of detail, clarity and finesse that was quite noticeable upon listening to the 200 again after a few weeks with the 220 Pro.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
On further back and forth listening to the complete dcc sweet baby james album the 220 needs to be about 1-1.5 db lower on the volume to be equivalent to the 200.

This levels the playing field a little more but the 220 is still more lively and the instruments/vocals are more 3d to the slightly flatter sounding 200. I assume this would be why some feel the 220 is more enjoyable at lower volumes.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(15-Jan-2017, 03:51)Dr Tone Wrote: One note on 7.1.3 compared to the D220 Pro.  7.1.3 is quite a bit warmer and a little compressed in comparison or maybe laid back is a better description.  If this works for your speakers and you love 7.1.3 I don't think the 220 Pro is necessarily for you.

Thanks for your report. Very interesting to read. Keep it coming...
Happy to see your findings on 200@v7.1.3  vs 220@v10.0. Exactly what I was hoping for: a warmer, more laid back sound.
There's detail enough coming out of my Magnepan speakers.
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
Hi Dr Tone, very interesting review.I sold my speakers after deciding to go for sabrinas.Im just collecting the full amount now.(i can t wait anymore).I also decided not to upgrade to pro220 due to unforeseen expenses at the end of the year and because i thought that the weekest link in my system were my speakers so ; logically they should be the first to be upgraded.One more reason was that i tested the sabrinas with dev200 only and was very very impressed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(15-Jan-2017, 16:08)samsoum Wrote: Hi Dr Tone, very interesting review.I sold my speakers after deciding to go for sabrinas.Im just collecting the  full amount now.(i can t wait anymore).I also decided not to upgrade to pro220 due to unforeseen expenses at the end of the year and because i thought that the weekest link in my system were my speakers so ; logically they should be the first to be upgraded.One more reason was that i tested the sabrinas with dev200 only and was very very impressed!

What speakers did you have?

(15-Jan-2017, 17:06)Dr Tone Wrote:
(15-Jan-2017, 16:08)samsoum Wrote: Hi Dr Tone, very interesting review.I sold my speakers after deciding to go for sabrinas.Im just collecting the  full amount now.(i can t wait anymore).I also decided not to upgrade to pro220 due to unforeseen expenses at the end of the year and because i thought that the weekest link in my system were my speakers so ; logically they should be the first to be upgraded.One more reason was that i tested the sabrinas with dev200 only and was very very impressed!

Sonus faber venere 2.5 : )
I was very close to buy von swcheikert vr55 second hand but i skipped for the sabrinas; hopefully soonnn

(15-Jan-2017, 17:10)samsoum Wrote:
(15-Jan-2017, 17:06)Dr Tone Wrote:

I was very close to buy von swcheikert vr55 second hand but i skipped for the sabrinas; hopefully soonnn

I haven't heard the Venere 2.5s but I know Sonus Faber is a good speaker.  If you went by specs and to a lesser degree price, the Sabrina should be a substantial improvement.  But sometimes specs and price aren't everything.  Obviously your testing confirmed they were well worth the upgrade. Smile 

If I had a choice of the D200 -> D220Pro vs my Focal 1028BE -> Sabrina upgrade, no competition, the speaker upgrade is leaps and bounds a greater improvement.

(15-Jan-2017, 17:28)Dr Tone Wrote:
(15-Jan-2017, 17:10)samsoum Wrote:
(15-Jan-2017, 17:06)Dr Tone Wrote: What speakers did you have?

I haven't heard the Venere 2.5s but I know Sonus Faber is a good speaker.  If you went by specs and to a lesser degree price, the Sabrina should be a substantial improvement.  But sometimes specs and price aren't everything.  Obviously your testing confirmed they were well worth the upgrade. Smile 

If I had a choice of the D200 -> D220Pro vs my Focal 1028BE -> Sabrina upgrade, no competition, the speaker upgrade is leaps and bounds a greater improvement.

Yes, this is exactly how i took my decision;actually i thought of upgrading my sound system and not my amp sound.But it wasn t easy since devialet offered me the promo code for the upgrade! I hope buying the sabrina next month hopefully! I will post some pics; they should come on piano black!