Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Antoine's system
As previously mentioned I am also running direct ethernet to sMS-200, in my case from an iMac via Supra Cat 8 (10m), I got the clarity, detail etc but also thinness/brightness. I am currently testing the SOtM LAN isolator with great results, and I am enjoy the music more than ever, and as an added bonus my wife can also hear the benefits!! The difference, more air around instruments, more defined bass.

The LAN isolator comes with a short length of SOtM, and is presumably providing filtering and galvanic isolation in one small device, not cheap by any stretch, but a neat solution.
Innuos Statement, D1000 Pro CI, Shunyata Denali, Alpha v2, Delta v2 and Venom NR12 power cords, Sigma v1 speaker cables, Omega USB, PMC IB2se, Townshend Isolation Podiums.

Marantz SR7012, OPPO BDP 105D, PMC OB1s (Rears), PMC Twenty C (Centre).

South East Wales, UK
Hi Carcrashboy, it sure is a great find by Romaz! Glad you're enjoying it as much as I do. I didn't initially notice the bright-/thinness myself so I'm not really sure if it's because of something I changed after the initial direct connection change or if it's the phenomenon of hearing negatives later in time when one gets used to the new sound. I do know more people have reported it and of course it's something that can work out either great or not so much depending on the system and listener preferences. Great that you seem to have found a solution in the form of the SOTM isolator (which I too find a bit expensive for an isolator @350 euro).

Romaz is pioneering some more right now on the subject of clocks in the intermediate path in between the music server and sMS-200 (and the SMS-200 itself). I'm following his findings closely. And although I of course knew about the existance of 'audiophile' switches like the one produced/modded by Paul Pang it sure is interesting and again surprising to read that such a device in between can further improve things over a direct connection, a bit like a USB Regen but then for an ethernet interface.

AQVox has also released an "Audiophile High-End Network Switch" recently. It's about €400, a bit steep as in it's basis it's a 20 euro switch but of course that's how this business works. Wink More info on that switch here: http://www.myhifishop.de/Devices/AQ-SWIT...anguage=en

Next week Uptone Audio will announce a new USB Regen like device which supposedly has real galvanic isolation (like the Intona) and some other as yet unknown improvements/functionality (http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac...post638938). They're also thinking about/working on similar devices for ethernet (isolation, reclocking). I've seen Alex C. of Uptone mentioning (http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-mu...post633980) that such a product will not be released this year though.

And then in April there's the sMS-200 Ultra, I've read existing 200's can be upgraded but no details like pricing known right now. I did read that the LPS-1 will probably not be able to power it so that's something people having one (or thinking of getting one) should know. Sonore is not working on an upgraded microRendu now. Jesus wrote that they are working on improvements/additional functionality though in software.

--
Still waiting for all the SATA cables. The first two (Akasa 45cm) arrived today.
While I'm posting, I'll add an updated system diagram of my system here:

PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Interesting that you mention the AQVox switch.  I had been doing a bit of googling looking for info on the Paul Pang switch, and stumbled across the AQVox item myself last week.  I'm guessing it's quite new?  I cannot find much information on the thing!  Anyway, I have posted a query regarding the AQVox switch over at CA, if those guys don't know anything about it nobody will!  To be honest, if it was a touch cheaper I'd probably buy one just as a punt, at 398 Euro, I would like a little bit more information before jumping in.  Any ideas how it might compare to the Paul Pang offering?  (Which is half the price, but has been out a while)

The rate of development at SOtM is impressive I have to say.  I'm sure it's shaking Sonore up a bit, with the mR seamingly knocked off it's top spot within months of being released.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Great shout re the AQVox switch. Going to order one today.  Cool

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(25-Feb-2017, 11:23)GuillaumeB Wrote: Great shout re the AQVox switch. Going to order one today.  Cool

Guillaume

Excellent!  I admire your bravery jumping straight in like that!  Is a brief write up of a Paul Pang vs AQVox head to head planned?  That would be much appreciated.  (Assuming you fancy it, of course)
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(25-Feb-2017, 11:45)Confused Wrote:
(25-Feb-2017, 11:23)GuillaumeB Wrote: Great shout re the AQVox switch. Going to order one today.  Cool

Guillaume

Excellent!  I admire your bravery jumping straight in like that!  Is a brief write up of a Paul Pang vs AQVox head to head planned?  That would be much appreciated.  (Assuming you fancy it, of course)

Of course. They make a lot of claims on the AQVox site so let's put it to the test!

Guillaume

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(25-Feb-2017, 09:49)Confused Wrote: Interesting that you mention the AQVox switch.  I had been doing a bit of googling looking for info on the Paul Pang switch, and stumbled across the AQVox item myself last week.  I'm guessing it's quite new?  I cannot find much information on the thing!  Anyway, I have posted a query regarding the AQVox switch over at CA, if those guys don't know anything about it nobody will!  To be honest, if it was a touch cheaper I'd probably buy one just as a punt, at 398 Euro, I would like a little bit more information before jumping in.  Any ideas how it might compare to the Paul Pang offering?  (Which is half the price, but has been out a while)

The rate of development at SOtM is impressive I have to say.  I'm sure it's shaking Sonore up a bit, with the mR seaming knocked off it's top spot within months of being released.

It is indeed relatively new. I believe I first read about it sometime in the last months of last year on a German forum. I bookmarked the page but to be honest I chuckled a bit about it, not knowing then that my 'believe system' (surrounding networking matters) would be challenged once again some months later by the findings of Romaz! Big Grin Today I think I can see the value/worth of such a device when it addresses not only noise and isolation (to not pollute devices connected to it or minimize that "pollution") but also improvements in its power supply and clock(s) to guarantee the best possible signal integrity. In a way it's no different than a USB regenerator like the Uptone Regen where we once believed it all didn't matter either.

The AQVox switch in its basis is a D-Link DGS-108. Yesterday I said it's a 20 euro switch but I was wrong, it's around 30 euro's. Wink Knowing that makes it a bit expensive to me at 400 but of course it's a bit of strange reasoning for someone like me who also buys expensive cables (like the €750 or so AQ Diamond ethernet cable of 0.75m Big Grin). Nonetheless I would need some more convincing before I get off the fence and would actually prefer a product built up from the ground (like I think Uptone is going to do).

No idea how it would compare to the Paul Pang one. I believe all Paul Pang did was mount a better clock and output transformer in his off the shelf switch. It -seems- AQVox does a bit more but as you said, very little information is available. Found two reviews and the HiFiStatement one shows a picture of the innards but then says most of the changes can be found on the other side of the PCB but doesn't show them! Undecided

http://www.audiophil-online.com/test/net...-by-aqvox/
http://www.hifistatement.net/tests/item/...q-switch-8

Found your post at CA, thanks for posting there, will be following the thread. I see one member (one I trust too) has ordered one yesterday.

I agree with you on your views on SOtM! And to be honest I was getting a bit annoyed by Sonore lately, the removal of the suggestions thread for Sonore on CA (though it is back now, though locked) made me give up on them completely. You can't hide from the competition or your customers wishes. If you do your company will of course fail in the end.

I'm still thinking about building a new music server for in the living room which I can power using 12V from the SR7, buy a Chinese ready built one (like one of the many here: https://eglobal.aliexpress.com/store/all...0.0.xNPQvS) or "re-instate" my previous music server (now HTPC)  and connect one ethernet interface directly to the SMS-200 using my AQ Diamond and the other to the FMC which connects it to the rest of the network. An 'ethernet Regen' like device or a switch like the AQVox could of course be used in between the music server and the SMS-200 so this might be one of the next steps for me. Smile

Guillaume

Haha, cool!! Cool Like Confused I'm curious to learn what you think of it! Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(25-Feb-2017, 13:32)Antoine Wrote: Haha, cool!! Cool Like Confused I'm curious to learn what you think of it! Smile

410 euros including shipping... that's a LOT of money for a switch! It had better be seriously good. Anyway I have now ordered it.

Guillaume

UK
(25-Feb-2017, 20:40)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(25-Feb-2017, 13:32)Antoine Wrote: Haha, cool!! Cool Like Confused I'm curious to learn what you think of it! Smile

410 euros including shipping... that's a LOT of money for a switch! It had better be seriously good. Anyway I have now ordered it.

Guillaume

How will you use this? What will go into it?

Did you not consider a new sonicTransport also? 

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/produ...on-1-3-dsp

The new bigger ones has dual ethernet ports for bridge mode, if I will stay with AIR the sonicTransport with Roon and HQ Player looks like a nice combo but a bit pricy compared to building it your self.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(26-Feb-2017, 07:43)octaviars Wrote: How will you use this? What will go into it?

Did you not consider a new sonicTransport also? 

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/produ...on-1-3-dsp

The new bigger ones has dual ethernet ports for bridge mode, if I will stay with AIR the sonicTransport with Roon and HQ Player looks like a nice combo but a bit pricy compared to building it your self.

The switch will feed my totaldac d1 server, replacing my existing Paul Pang.

Still haven't made up my mind re the sT. I'm not massively enamoured by the DSP of Roon, specifically the upsampling functionality and believe HQPlayer is probably the way to go. 

Anyway the switch was an easier decision to make! Sorry to Antoine for hijacking his system thread!  Wink

Guillaume

UK