Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hiss on Phono
It's interesting that there seems to be a great variation in the level of noise being reported, without a lot of rhyme or reason even after taking gain settings into account (as best we can). I wonder whether the design of the phono stage is extremely sensitive to noise in a particular component, and what's being reported is due to variation between samples of (nominally) the same component?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Look under caridge and phono settings side 14 , Can you see my settings Confused. And before i get the transformer i

Think i miss dynamik. I get that after i bye a transformer. And i Can see no negative With more cables around my turntable. I like devialet AS a plug and play amp ,but if my caridge was more High output than ortofon cadenza black i Think the riaa In devialet was enough ,but now i have transformer and it is perfect for me .
AVM  8.3  Rosso volterra 2 ,speaker cable and other cable audio note , turntable tt2 de luxe , caridge clearaudio carisma mm, primare bd mrk 2 shyunata power generator,
(09-Dec-2016, 23:15)Finn Wrote: Look under caridge and phono settings  side 14 , Can you see my settings  Confused. And before i get the transformer i

Think i miss dynamik. I get that after i bye a transformer. And i Can see no negative With more cables  around my turntable. I like devialet AS  a plug and play amp ,but if my caridge was more High output than ortofon cadenza black i Think the riaa In devialet was enough ,but now i have transformer and it is perfect for me .

Thanks for the input Finn.  I just wanted to double check that I am understanding your post correctly.  You are saying that you get improved dynamics with the transformer, with no negatives.  So the transformer is not just reducing the noise floor (removing hiss) but has improved the actual sound quality as well, thanks to and improvement in dynamics.

Have I understood this correctly?  (In which case I might need to start looking for an SUT!) Shy
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Confused , for me the sut works ,but try too lent one and listen from you self .
AVM  8.3  Rosso volterra 2 ,speaker cable and other cable audio note , turntable tt2 de luxe , caridge clearaudio carisma mm, primare bd mrk 2 shyunata power generator,
(10-Dec-2016, 16:15)Finn Wrote: Confused , for me the sut works ,but try too lent one and listen from you self .

Yes, I will give it a try some time. To be honest, it should not be too hard to arrange a demo, I have an Ortofon dealer and Ortofon's UK distributor both within a very short drive from my home!

Although I will leave this until well into next year.  I have done too much auditioning and comparing recently, my system is sounding sensational, so the plan now is for a period of just enjoying the music! Shy
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Good ide Confused , never forget listen too music ,if it is blues , jazz , rock, or a compleatly other Sound .
Just set my "new" turntable up after being without one for about 6 months. Got a Technics SP10 and it's rather good. It's the first time I have set up my cartridge on the 1000 PRO and I am certain the phono stage is quieter than the 800. Have set output level to .25 and with volume set to -30 which is fine for really loud listening you have to be within 15 inches of the speaker to hear the slightest hiss.

Vinyl is still better to listen to than digital I'm afraid so will have to keep buying LP and CD versions 😐
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(14-Mar-2017, 20:13)NickB Wrote: Vinyl is still better to listen to than digital I'm afraid so will have to keep buying LP and CD versions ?

You should consider using the USB out of the Devialet to needle drop your preferred vinyl.  Because the Devialet digitizes the analog signal anyway you are going to get the equivalent in a 24/96 PCM file and save the wear and tare and the maintenance of playing back vinyl.

This might be my single most missed feature if I moved away from the Devialet.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(14-Mar-2017, 20:13)NickB Wrote: Just set my "new" turntable up after being without one for about 6 months. Got a Technics SP10 and it's rather good. It's the first time I have set up my cartridge on the 1000 PRO and I am certain the phono stage is quieter than the 800. Have set output level to .25 and with volume set to -30 which is fine for really loud listening you have to be within 15 inches of the speaker to hear the slightest hiss.

Vinyl is still better to listen to than digital I'm afraid so will have to keep buying LP and CD versions ?

What's happened to the 401???!  Plus, I'm glad your phono stage is quieter when I reckon mine isn't, mindful that you've got what should have been my amp!   Angry   Joking appart, I'll try your settings and the 15" test, just out of curiosity.  An interesting choice of TT, I must say.
Always wanted an SP10 and a mate on another forum had one for sale which he had done all the electronics on at a good price so that was it. Now have the TT and arm I have lusted after for ages.
Looks and sounds great.

401 is looking lost and lonely on the floor in the other room waiting for a buyer

UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers