Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dirac and room correction software
(01-Dec-2015, 19:25)deviousalet Wrote: To resolve the problem with Dirac "default output" what about trying Amarra +IRC (which includes Dirac). It handles default outputs decently on my Mac Mini, and can be had with either full-range or bass-only Dirac. There's a free trial available.

Thanks for the tip, but, Mmmm, I tried Amarra and hated it I'm sorry to say - not the way it sounded, but pretty much everything else. In fact I bought it and then got a refund. I seem to remember what tipped me over the edge was it wouldnt even play an album sequentially, unless I worked with it in a specific way.

I'm prepared to make sacrifices for RC, but it wont be using Amarra.

I'm a hard-core Roonie now, and will just have to wait for them to add AU/VST plugins, or find another way around.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(02-Dec-2015, 10:16)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Last week I would have thought that adding these sorts of boxes/processes after your Aurender would kind of negate the spend on such a good quality source.

However, now I've tried Room Correction - and quickly reached the best sound I've heard out of my current system - I'd be prepared to let it go as the benefits of RC are huge in my case.

Well yes, that had occurred to me too, but I like the Aurender a lot.  It's easy to use and trouble free, so if the end result is a significant improvement in overall sound quality, I'm not going to lose any sleep because the streamer is over qualified for the job it's doing.
(02-Dec-2015, 10:44)JohnH Wrote:
(02-Dec-2015, 10:16)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Last week I would have thought that adding these sorts of boxes/processes after your Aurender would kind of negate the spend on such a good quality source.

However, now I've tried Room Correction - and quickly reached the best sound I've heard out of my current system - I'd be prepared to let it go as the benefits of RC are huge in my case.

Well yes, that had occurred to me too, but I like the Aurender a lot.  It's easy to use and trouble free, so if the end result is a significant improvement in overall sound quality, I'm not going to lose any sleep because the streamer is over qualified for the job it's doing.

Couldn't argue with that…..

Have you got a specific issue with your room / current sound, or are you just curious?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(02-Dec-2015, 10:53)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Have you got a specific issue with your room / current sound, or are you just curious?

There are some humps in the base which SAM doesn't appear to deal with, and the upper mid-range treble is inclined to be shrill/hard/glacial (how do you describe these things?) - most evident on the string tone that's so important with classical orchestral recordings. I've been trying an alternative system to my D120 consisting of an Auralic Vega DAC->Auralic Taurus Pre ->T+A Amp 8 -> PMC 20/23. I'm finding that this gives a generally better overall sound with more body and cleaner string tone. In short - nicer to listen to. Some problems remain that I think are probably room related, though my 76 years old ears may be a factor too.
I dont do much classical, but in my lounge my Fact 8's were definitely on the shrill/harsh side.  I believe Womaz here has had the same issue with his PMC's

Perhaps the PMC/Devialet combo is just a bit too 'honest' for an untreated domestic environment?

Having seen the difference between my Neat Motive 1's with/without Dirac I'm sold on RC being a solution, and my eyes (and ears) are really open to how much the room affects the sound.  So I'm hopeful about it working with the Facts, but perhaps it will reveal a weakness of this approach, who knows - I'll report back as soon as I can, but I'm very positive that RC could do what you need.

No kit I've bought or swapped around has made anywhere near as much difference as RC.

In fact, looking back I'm embarrassed I spent time deliberating various cables/tweaks.  It was all utterly pointless in the grand scheme of things in my current situation, and even though I sort of knew that at the time, I didnt know what else to do.  Each of these things probably makes a difference to the frequencies you hear, but how do you know what you need to combat the room, and adjust the speakers, the source, the amplifier (assuming not everything is 100% neutral and perfect) and then on top of that what is your hearing/preference?  And what's worse, most of it is complete trial and error, and the chance of ending up with a sound you like by trial and error is probably close to zero.  And its expensive - buying and selling kit in my experience has been a big loss maker and takes time and energy ,and you know you're being ripped off by people like cable manufacturers who probably have a 1000% markup on their products.

Of course, once the room is sorted, everything is possible in terms of upgrading kit and extracting the performance.

That's the way I see things at the moment anyway.  I hope I'm not going to be backtracking and eating these words in a few weeks…..

Interestingly, on the Room Correction section of CA, is an updated post confirming specs of a new amplifier from Arcam, that incorporates Dirac Live.  I think its aimed more at AV, but these are really fascinating times….

(02-Dec-2015, 11:58)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Interestingly, on the Room Correction section of CA, is an updated post confirming specs of a new amplifier from Arcam, that incorporates Dirac Live.  I think its aimed more at AV, but these are really fascinating times….

Paul at HiFi Lounge reported very favourably on the effectiveness of Dirac at his Arcam event last weekend. See:
http://hifilounge.tumblr.com/post/134282...rcam-event
Does Dirac work correctly with AIR? (or as correctly as anything works with AIR, at least)
(02-Dec-2015, 14:09)Confused Wrote: Does Dirac work correctly with AIR? (or as correctly as anything works with AIR, at least)

Not tried it personally, but 'Devialet Air' shows up as a selectable output in the Dirac Audio Processor, so can't see why it wouldn't (as you say, in theory Wink ).

Devialet Air only still shows up on my machine as I haven't rebooted since I found the command line to finally remove it from my system (thanks again Devialetchat!)

Interestingly the DiracAP is also a 'virtual sound card' like Air, albeit over USB rather than TCP/wifi. Not had a single dropout or crackle from it so far…..

(02-Dec-2015, 14:09)Confused Wrote: Does Dirac work correctly with AIR?  (or as correctly as anything works with AIR, at least)

Yes - at least, it did when I tried it (some time ago).
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK