Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to consider when shopping for a Turntable?
(12-Apr-2015, 10:47)amabrok Wrote:
(12-Apr-2015, 10:38)Eddye Wrote:
(12-Apr-2015, 10:07)amabrok Wrote:  

MM or MC? And is there a difference?

http://stereos.about.com/od/stereoscience/a/mmmc.htm

Thanks Eddie

Does the MC really bring significant improvement over MM or is it marginal? Or one would really need higher components to hear the benefits of the MC over the MM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's marginal insofar that on most turntables you can swap the cartridge easily. Since the Devialet phonostage can accept MM and MC that's not a problem either. As for taste, that's what you have to find out for yourself. 
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
(12-Apr-2015, 10:07)amabrok Wrote: Thanks for the replies so far.  

MM or MC? And is there a difference?

Also what do you think of Transrotor Rossini? Does anyone has experience with the brand in general and of course particularly the Rossini model?
Turntable's are funny, I have been spinning vinyl for over 40 years. 
I have just started to get into digital files.
MC carts are a lot smother than MM carts, warmer in the mids.
The Transrotor looks real nice, a piece of art, but I would not go that way for my 1st turntable.
Pick yourself up a Technics SL1200 and install a Denon 130 cart, less than 1K.
Play around with it, see if you like the sound divergence, and the inconvenience of getting up ever 20 mins or so.
If you decide that you like vinyl there are so may possibilities, the best turntable (I my opinion) is the Kronos http://www.kronosaudio.com
about 30K cnd. I would purchase one if I could.
Now other affordable options, Rega R8, VPI Classic 2, Clearaudio Innovation compact. 
There are so many GREAT European turntable that I am not familiar with.
Good luck with you journey. 
Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.