Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AIR - Wifi vs ETH
After changing to an ultra-low noise power adapter for my router, I did notice a sound improvement on my setup. Bass is noticeably firmer and there's more refinement. I was only playing at -50dB sound level. I'm a complete believer in power supply now.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

Just a thought; The difference of AIR vs the non AIR way is that AIR streams bitperfect. To do so I assume they use a protocol able to detect if packages were delivered correctly vs trying to solve the clocksync and jitter by expensive cabling and streaming.

So I assume whether you use WiFi or Ethernet there should be no difference at all right?
Devialet 220 Expert Pro CI | Sonus Faber Olympica II | Crystal cable speaker cables, interlink and power cables | ROON Rock on Intel NUC | Netherlands
(15-Apr-2015, 07:25)iamwappie Wrote: Just a thought; The difference of AIR vs the non AIR way is that AIR streams bitperfect. To do so I assume they use a protocol able to detect if packages were delivered correctly vs trying to solve the clocksync and jitter by expensive  cabling and streaming.

So I assume whether you use WiFi or Ethernet there should be no difference at all right?

I believe what you'd just said was right: Bitperfect transfer via AIR. But, in any case, Devialet will still re-clock/re-time all inputs with its Master Clock. Your assumption that Wifi and Ethernet will have no difference, I have yet to confirm. Will have more listening and update the status.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

Although I had experienced the white noises initially when I first setup my D200, for the past 1 week, after I install a new wireless 802.11ac router and moved my TP-LINK WDR-8400 just next to my D200, I have not experienced any white noises or dropouts anymore. Of course, this doesn't proved AIR problem doesn't exist. It could also be that I had not play long enough time for AIR to cause problem.

If AIR problems do not occur in the next two weeks, then maybe we can assume that for AIR to work well, a good/fast/reliable router is required or place the router very close to your computer and Devialet.

(15-Apr-2015, 10:28)hk6230 Wrote: Although I had experienced the white noises initially when I first setup my D200, for the past 1 week, after I install a new wireless 802.11ac router and moved my TP-LINK WDR-8400 just next to my D200, I have not experienced any white noises or dropouts anymore. Of course, this doesn't proved AIR problem doesn't exist. It could also be that I had not play long enough time for AIR to cause problem.

If AIR problems do not occur in the next two weeks, then maybe we can assume that for AIR to work well, a good/fast/reliable router is required or place the router very close to your computer and Devialet.

For me I have found that the PC/laptop has to be close to the router. This is essential in my set up.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(15-Apr-2015, 10:37)Womaz Wrote:
(15-Apr-2015, 10:28)hk6230 Wrote: Although I had experienced the white noises initially when I first setup my D200, for the past 1 week, after I install a new wireless 802.11ac router and moved my TP-LINK WDR-8400 just next to my D200, I have not experienced any white noises or dropouts anymore. Of course, this doesn't proved AIR problem doesn't exist. It could also be that I had not play long enough time for AIR to cause problem.

For me I have found that the PC/laptop has to be close to the router. This is essential in my set up.

I had my new router installed quite a distance away, at least 15m, and using its 5GHz bandwidth, AIR is performing well. I'm streaming music from Deezer/Spotify/local cloud services on the same Mac to the router and then to D200, no problem. And music streamed are high quality or CD quality (FLAC), ie. large file sizes.

So, I do believe router's performance is important. Otherwise, like what you do, just place your PC close to it.

(14-Apr-2015, 23:27)hk6230 Wrote: After changing to an ultra-low noise power adapter for my router, I did notice a sound improvement on my setup. Bass is noticeably firmer and there's more refinement. I was only playing at -50dB sound level. I'm a complete believer in power supply now.

I use a TP-LINK router.  What PS did you get for it?

You sure there's not confirmation bias here?   Have you done double blind or third person validation? 

D200, KEF LS50 / Sumiko S9 Sub Bass,  Audience AU24SE speaker,  Wireworld Silver Electra PC,  Wireworld Platinum Starlight, Straightwire Link USB,  Macbook Pro,  System76 (linux) SSD Laptop,  TP-LINK Archer C7 AC1750.  

living in Salt Lake City, USA
(18-Apr-2015, 22:14)bobertk Wrote:
(14-Apr-2015, 23:27)hk6230 Wrote: After changing to an ultra-low noise power adapter for my router, I did notice a sound improvement on my setup. Bass is noticeably firmer and there's more refinement. I was only playing at -50dB sound level. I'm a complete believer in power supply now.

You sure there's not confirmation bias here?   Have you done double blind or third person validation? 

Well, you could be right. Placebo effect can be a factor, too. Hee Hee. Anyway, I'm using iFi's Ultra-Low Noise Power adapter, which is rated to have less than 10uV noise level. They are launching a 1uV extreme low noise power adapter within 2 weeks time.

I'm trying to ask friends to come over and do some blind listening today.

(19-Apr-2015, 02:23)hk6230 Wrote:
(18-Apr-2015, 22:14)bobertk Wrote:

Well, you could be right. Placebo effect can be a factor, too. Hee Hee. Anyway, I'm using iFi's Ultra-Low Noise Power adapter, which is rated to have less than 10uV noise level. They are launching a 1uV extreme low noise power adapter within 2 weeks time.

I'm trying to ask friends to come over and do some blind listening today.

Hey, just want to know that what's your system recently?
Is there any update after a year?  

After read through this thread, plus I have tried the Roon today.
I'm thinking of buying a Mac mini + Roon + Devialet Air 3 for replacing the aurender N100.
Any suggestion?  Thanks!
I have 1Gb fiber into the house with a Centurylink Technicolor C2100T ac router hardwired (100ft)  to a Netgear R8000 ac5300 then wifi to my Devialet D200 on 2.4Ghz as it seems our Devialets cannot receive 5Ghz?

ROON on my Macbook Air 13" thorough the latest Air 3.02 in an adjacent room with one wall and maybe 20ft distance, controlled by an iPad mini in my living room with the system. Just a power cord nad speaker cables, though I'm about to add an Isotek Titan power conditioner upstream.

Sounds like I need to try some better power sources on my routers?  Any suggestions as I'll need two as they're in different places in the house?

Less $ and clutter with Ethernet cables and the electrical isolation has to be a good thing.
1Gb Fiber/Comcast WiFi6 router with Linear Power Supply- Wireworld Platinum 8 Ethernet - Intel NUC817BEH with linear power supply and silver cabling - Wireworld Platinum 8 Ethernet - Etherregen - Wireworld Platinum 8 Ethernet - Goal Zero Yeti 1400 lithium power generator - Devialet D400 with Synergistic Research Galileo UEF power cables on self-designed three-stage isolation stand - Stealth Audio Sextet V14 digital RCA - Synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria speaker cables - Magico S5 - Pair JL Audio Fathom F112 and Stealth Audio M7000 Power Cables, Synergistic Research Sub cable - 7mx9m room, treated with acoustic panels, Synergistic Research HFT on speakers and walls (stage3), Synergistic Research Black Box,  All cables on wooden block risers

Yes - everything matters!