Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guillaume's hi-fi system
My hi-fi system comprises of a Devialet 800 made up of two 250s. These are being fed by a Simaudio Moon MiND 180 which is essentially a UPnP renderer with a number of high quality digital outputs. This solution has enabled me to preserve my original UPnP network-based setup with a QNAP 419P NAS with 3 (1TB) bays set up as a RAID 5 and 1 (1TB) bay as a backup volume. I use AudioQuest Diamond ethernet cables between the NAS and Draytech router and between my switch and MiND 180. Connecting the Draytech to switch is a 20M run of AQ carbon Cat7. The switch sits next the hi-fi rack, which is a Spectral High End rack with 19mm thick glass shelves.

(My previous system was a Linn Klimax DS with Linn Klimax Kontrol and Solos and therefore was UPnP-based)

My speakers are Wilson Audio Sophia 3s although these will soon be upgraded to Sasha 2s. My speaker cables are Chord Sarum.

I use Transparent XL digital cables (an S/PDIF and an AES/EBU) to connect the two Devialet units together and the MiND 180 to the master unit.

Power-wise I have a dedicated consumer unit for hi-fi duties with 8 individual circuits feeding a double socket via 6mm T&E, therefore all my components sit on separate circuits. Of the 8 wall sockets, 3 are Furutech GTX-D US-style duplex wall outlets. Each Devialet unit is therefore connected to its own wall socket (the third one is currently unused but was fitted for future proofing).

Mains cables-wise I use Entreq's top of the range Atlantis power cables, these feature Furutech's heavy duty FI-50M ceramic/carbon fittings with US plugs. Each Atlantis mains cable is in turn connected to a Silver Tellus ground box via an Atlantis earth cable.

The two Devialet units and MiND 180 are connected to a separate Entreq Silver Tellus ground box using Apollo ground cables.

I have 4 GIK acoustic panels in the two front corners of the room (with two stacked from ground to ceiling on each side), these are Tri-Trap corner bass traps.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Very impressive, congratulations! And an upgrade to Sasha 2s to boot.
(22-Jun-2014, 12:49)dannyBCN Wrote: Very impressive, congratulations! And an upgrade to Sasha 2s to boot.

Thanks! The only downside of the Sasha upgrade is that I'll lose SAM however I'm sure the additional resolution and better and more resolved imaging will more than make up for it! Confused

Guillaume

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(22-Jun-2014, 13:03)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(22-Jun-2014, 12:49)dannyBCN Wrote: Very impressive, congratulations! And an upgrade to Sasha 2s to boot.

Thanks! The only downside of the Sasha upgrade is that I'll lose SAM however I'm sure the additional resolution and better and more resolved imaging will more than make up for it! Confused

Guillaume

You have nothing to worry about, for sure. I heard the Sasha 2s by chance when I was auditioning the Sophia 2s and they sounded fantastic, sans SAM. Frankly, I thought the Sophias needed SAM at least in the room they were set up in. The beta SAM happened to just come out and I tested it and everything fell into place. But I loved the Sashas as is.
(22-Jun-2014, 12:40)GuillaumeB Wrote: My hi-fi system comprises of a Devialet 800 made up of two 250s. These are being fed by a Simaudio Moon MiND 180 which is essentially a UPnP renderer with a number of high quality digital outputs. This solution has enabled me to preserve my original UPnP network-based setup with a QNAP 419P NAS with 3 (1TB) bays set up as a RAID 5 and 1 (1TB) bay as a backup volume. I use AudioQuest Diamond ethernet cables between the NAS and Draytech router and between my switch and MiND 180. Connecting the Draytech to switch is a 20M run of AQ carbon Cat7. The switch sits next the hi-fi rack, which is a Spectral High End rack with 19mm thick glass shelves.

(My previous system was a Linn Klimax DS with Linn Klimax Kontrol and Solos and therefore was UPnP-based)

My speakers are Wilson Audio Sophia 3s although these will soon be upgraded to Sasha 2s. My speaker cables are Chord Sarum.

I use Transparent XL digital cables (an S/PDIF and an AES/EBU) to connect the two Devialet units together and the MiND 180 to the master unit.

Power-wise I have a dedicated consumer unit for hi-fi duties with 8 individual circuits feeding a double socket via 6mm T&E, therefore all my components sit on separate circuits. Of the 8 wall sockets, 3 are Furutech GTX-D US-style duplex wall outlets. Each Devialet unit is therefore connected to its own wall socket (the third one is currently unused but was fitted for future proofing).

Mains cables-wise I use Entreq's top of the range Atlantis power cables, these feature Furutech's heavy duty FI-50M ceramic/carbon fittings with US plugs. Each Atlantis mains cable is in turn connected to a Silver Tellus ground box via an Atlantis earth cable.

The two Devialet units and MiND 180 are connected to a separate Entreq Silver Tellus ground box using Apollo ground cables.

I have 4 GIK acoustic panels in the two front corners of the room (with two stacked from ground to ceiling on each side), these are Tri-Trap corner bass traps.

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume,

I am new to the site as I am currently researching Devialet and a possible upgrade to my system.

I am interested that you have moved away from a Linn based system to Devialet, especially as the Klimax DS is often considered the pinnacle of streaming devices. I have a Linn Renew DS fed from a QNAP HS 210 with 1tb of SSD via Cisco router.

The QNAP has USB output that I could connect directly to the Devialet, I Believe?

How would you compare the streaming capability of the Devialet compared to the Klimax DS?

I understand it is more flexible but for flac files, would you say it was an improvement?

So many questions Undecided

Thanks in advance

Graham
(22-Jun-2014, 12:40)GuillaumeB Wrote: My hi-fi system comprises of a Devialet 800 made up of two 250s. These are being fed by a Simaudio Moon MiND 180 which is essentially a UPnP renderer with a number of high quality digital outputs. This solution has enabled me to preserve my original UPnP network-based setup with a QNAP 419P NAS with 3 (1TB) bays set up as a RAID 5 and 1 (1TB) bay as a backup volume. I use AudioQuest Diamond ethernet cables between the NAS and Draytech router and between my switch and MiND 180. Connecting the Draytech to switch is a 20M run of AQ carbon Cat7. The switch sits next the hi-fi rack, which is a Spectral High End rack with 19mm thick glass shelves.

Guillaume

Drool! Sounds like an amazing system Guillaume.
Auralic Aries G2 > Kii Control > Kii Audio 3 BXT
(07-Jul-2014, 20:29)Carcrashboy Wrote:

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume,

I am new to the site as I am currently researching Devialet and a possible upgrade to my system.

I am interested that you have moved away from a Linn based system to Devialet, especially as the Klimax DS is often considered the pinnacle of streaming devices. I have a Linn Renew DS fed from a QNAP HS 210 with 1tb of SSD via Cisco router.

The QNAP has USB output that I could connect directly to the Devialet, I Believe?

How would you compare the streaming capability of the Devialet compared to the Klimax DS?

I understand it is more flexible but for flac files, would you say it was an improvement?

Thanks in advance

Graham

Hi Graham,

Welcome to Devialet Chat! Smile

Devialet does not currently support UPnP therefore you would need to use AIR, which is Devialet's proprietary streaming software. The Devialet approach relies on using a PC or a Mac to push music to the Devialet. There are a number of different flavours of AIR (or rather implementations of AIR), with some streaming via wifi and others using a wired ethernet connection.

Personally I did not want to lose my existing UPnP setup so I opted for a stand alone UPnP render which I connect to the Devialet via a digital cable. That way I don't need to worry about computers and I can access my existing FLAC collection.

There are rumours that there might be UPnP coming to Devialet sometime soon.

Now to sound quality. Since the Devialet combines DAC and amplifier in one box it's difficult to divorce one from the other. So really you have to compare to a complete Linn Klimax system. To my ears it was a very big improvement.

Having said that the KDS is a very fine streamer but compared to the Devialet I would say that the Devialet is a bit more transparent and the amplifier section just works so much better than the KK + Solo combo.

Cheers,

Guillaume

UK
(07-Jul-2014, 20:31)ZincAlloy Wrote:

Guillaume

Drool! Sounds like an amazing system Guillaume.

Cheers Ken! Smile

Guillaume

UK
(07-Jul-2014, 20:42)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(07-Jul-2014, 20:29)Carcrashboy Wrote:

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume,

Thanks in advance

Graham

Hi Graham,

Welcome to Devialet Chat! Smile

Devialet does not currently support UPnP therefore you would need to use AIR, which is Devialet's proprietary streaming software. The Devialet approach relies on using a PC or a Mac to push music to the Devialet. There are a number of different flavours of AIR (or rather implementations of AIR), with some streaming via wifi and others using a wired ethernet connection.

Personally I did not want to lose my existing UPnP setup so I opted for a stand alone UPnP renderer which I connect to the Devialet via a digital cable. That way I don't need to worry about computers and I can access my existing FLAC collection.

There are rumours that there might be UPnP coming to Devialet sometime soon.

Now to sound quality. Since the Devialet combines DAC and amplifier in one box it's difficult to divorce one from the other. So really you have to compare to a complete Linn Klimax system. To my ears it was a very big improvement.

Having said that the KDS is a very fine streamer but compared to the Devialet I would say that the Devialet is a bit more transparent and the amplifier section just works so much better than the KK + Solo combo.

Cheers,

Guillaume

Hi Graham - I also replaced a 5 box Linn system with a Devialet 200. Like Guilluame, I already had a uPnP based architecture that I'd been using for years, and wasn't in any mad rush to change. It's for this reason that I'm using my Squeezebox Touch as my source, on a temporary basis. The user experience of iPeng on my iPad, wirelessly streaming FLAC to the SBT and onto the Devialet is something that I'm very comfortable with. However, I'm looking to replace the SBT either with the MOON Mind that Guillaume uses, or the Auralic Aries - both are essentially DAC-less streamers that should offer much better sound quality than the SBT and, crucially, a very nice user experience.

So, if you don't fancy using AIR and already have a uPnP solution, you could go for the Devialet, get a second hand SBT and be up and running. Depending on when / if Devialet implement uPnP, you can then either move the SBT on, or upgrade to the MOON or Auralic, so a minimally risky upgrade path!

ATB, Ken
Auralic Aries G2 > Kii Control > Kii Audio 3 BXT
On the Linn issue:

3 years ago, I moved to D-Premier from Linn Klimax DSM and McIntosh MC2000. Second hand prices of these two were more than the Devialet brand new. And the sound quality was a huge upgrade.

And I was frustrated by the DLNA server issue. NAS and cable quality was very important and it let me itching all the time to try new cables/software.

Devialet on the other hand is very good to boot by simple Mac / Devialet AIR combination, and can further be improved by more specific PC/direct ethernet solutions.

So for me, Linn vs Devialet question is very easy to answer.

Happy listening.

Guillaume, great system by the way...

Kunter
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey