Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guillaume's hi-fi system
(20-Aug-2019, 13:43)GuillaumeB Wrote: Hi guys,

I sold my Absolare Integrated amp!  Confused

I was pretty nervous about selling this, I needn't have been as I am now having an absolute ball with a 220 Pro! 

Currently using a 220 Pro connected to a pair of SOtM switches (sNH-10G w/ sCLK-EX clock module and 10 MHz master clock input connector) bridged via fibre patch lead and with both switches connected to a Cybershaft OP14 master clock using 50ohm clock cables and BNC T adapters fitted with 50ohm termination plugs connected to each switch clock input. I am using a Sigma Ethernet cable to connect the Devialet to the "outbound" switch. I actually helped to develop this cable so pretty proud of it. Overall you could say a SOTA streaming setup.  Wink

Let's just say that the results are pretty spectacular, in fact I cannot remember a Devialet ever sounding this great. I am serious!

I have a lot of options to play with power-wise as you would imagine, at the moment I am running a power cable direct to the wall into a dedicated 20A circuit. I started off with the new Venom NR and was really happy with this. Then I replaced with a Delta NR and now I am using an Alpha EF. This was quite good fun; the Devialet is so transparent that the differences are pretty easy to hear and appreciate. A good exercise for me since I need to sell these cables to dealers.

Next steps will be to introduce some mains conditioning to the mix, but I am in no hurry as I am enjoying each step.

The TotalDAC trapezoids are still on the shelves peering at me, or perhaps I should say glare. I imagine I will try and see what happens if I feed the analogue output of the d1 seven to the 220 PRO. Will also compare the d1 server to the Core Infinity board.

Once again the switching/ethernet tweaks have been a revelation.  Cool Pretty much a game changer for me. 

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume, welcome back to the fold - not that you had totally left Smile. It must have been a wrench to sell the Absolare Integrated amp - any particular reason Huh .

Anyway, glad that you are having such fun with the 220 Pro.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK

I was pretty nervous about selling this, I needn't have been as I am now having an absolute ball with a 220 Pro! 

Currently using a 220 Pro connected to a pair of SOtM switches (sNH-10G w/ sCLK-EX clock module and 10 MHz master clock input connector) bridged via fibre patch lead and with both switches connected to a Cybershaft OP14 master clock using 50ohm clock cables and BNC T adapters fitted with 50ohm termination plugs connected to each switch clock input. I am using a Sigma Ethernet cable to connect the Devialet to the "outbound" switch. I actually helped to develop this cable so pretty proud of it. Overall you could say a SOTA streaming setup.  Wink

Let's just say that the results are pretty spectacular, in fact I cannot remember a Devialet ever sounding this great. I am serious!

I have a lot of options to play with power-wise as you would imagine, at the moment I am running a power cable direct to the wall into a dedicated 20A circuit. I started off with the new Venom NR and was really happy with this. Then I replaced with a Delta NR and now I am using an Alpha EF. This was quite good fun; the Devialet is so transparent that the differences are pretty easy to hear and appreciate. A good exercise for me since I need to sell these cables to dealers.

Next steps will be to introduce some mains conditioning to the mix, but I am in no hurry as I am enjoying each step.

The TotalDAC trapezoids are still on the shelves peering at me, or perhaps I should say glare. I imagine I will try and see what happens if I feed the analogue output of the d1 seven to the 220 PRO. Will also compare the d1 server to the Core Infinity board.

Once again the switching/ethernet tweaks have been a revelation.  Cool Pretty much a game changer for me. 

Guillaume

Which of the box s makes the biggest difference ? Or is it a case of all or nothing?
I’m not even sure I understand what you did there. Why 2 boxes of switches ? And why you decided to use 2 deferent clocks ( sCLK-EX clock module and 10 MHz master clock PLUS Cybershaft OP14 master clock )

Did you try to feed the d1 with it at all ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(21-Aug-2019, 23:27)no32 Wrote:

Guillaume

Which of the box s makes the biggest difference ? Or is it a case of all or nothing?
I’m not even sure I understand what you did there. Why 2 boxes of switches ? And why you decided to use 2 deferent clocks ( sCLK-EX clock module and 10 MHz master clock PLUS Cybershaft OP14 master clock )

The SOtM switch comes in a number of guises in typical SOtM fashion  Wink

So the switches I have are the ones with the sCLK-EX clock module built-in. It's a different colour too - black as opposed to silver for the standard switch. That's how you can tell if it has the sCLK-EX clock module.

The Cybershaft is a 10 MHz master clock and the SOtM switches have 50ohm master clock inputs (you need to specify the sCLK-EX clock module to get this).

I wouldn't say that its a case of all or nothing, just using a single SOtM sNH-10G makes a nice difference (it's quite a bit better than my AQVOX switch). The bridged setup (with optical link) is another jump in performance and the master clock takes things to a whole new level.

Yes I tried this and a number of other combinations with the d1 server/d1-seven (feeding the Absolare). 

When I have a bit of time I will write up my experiences with the different switches including the Telegartner M12 Gold, which was equally impressive as a single box solution.

Cheers,

Guillaume 

Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(22-Aug-2019, 10:45)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(21-Aug-2019, 23:27)no32 Wrote:

Guillaume

So the switches I have are the ones with the sCLK-EX clock module built-in. It's a different colour too - black as opposed to silver for the standard switch. That's how you can tell if it has the sCLK-EX clock module.

The Cybershaft is a 10 MHz master clock and the SOtM switches have 50ohm master clock inputs (you need to specify the sCLK-EX clock module to get this).

I wouldn't say that its a case of all or nothing, just using a single SOtM sNH-10G makes a nice difference (it's quite a bit better than my AQVOX switch). The bridged setup (with optical link) is another jump in performance and the master clock takes things to a whole new level.

Yes I tried this and a number of other combinations with the d1 server/d1-seven (feeding the Absolare). 

When I have a bit of time I will write up my experiences with the different switches including the Telegartner M12 Gold, which was equally impressive as a single box solution.

Cheers,

Guillaume 

Hi Guillaume,

Thanks for sharing. I am not quite understand how switch can help, isn’t Devialet has a built in buffer that should store data locally and it’s internal clock is re-clocking it anyway?

Do you have any idea?

Thanks
(22-Aug-2019, 14:43)PeppaPig Wrote:
(22-Aug-2019, 10:45)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(21-Aug-2019, 23:27)no32 Wrote: Which of the box s makes the biggest difference ? Or is it a case of all or nothing?

Cheers,

Guillaume 

Hi Guillaume,

Thanks for sharing. I am not quite understand now switch can help, isn’t Devialet has a built in buffer that should store data locally and it’s internal clock is re-clocking it anyway?

Do you have any idea?

Thanks

Honestly? I haven't a clue.

In a previous life I organised very high level events and seminars for telecoms and used to spend a lot of time talking to people in the industry. So I knew a bit about packet based communications, IP etc. 

I can tell you that this stuff makes little sense. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
The performance must be in a league of it's own going on what you posted Guillaume. Very interesting to read there is so much more to gain if you are willing and able to invest in the right ancilliaries. Intrigued as I am, I investigated a bit of time reading up on the SotM switches you are mentioning. They are Impressive gear indeed, yet a bit steep in price with all the goodies you added, costing a whopping €2.000 a piece in The Netherlands.

Do I conclude correctly you are using two of these in bridge mode with separate power supplies and inbetween cables at an extra cost? That reads to me like this gear, added to your existing 220 Pro setup adds up to more than the price of a complete D220Pro. Does the improved soundquality in your opinion way up to the cost? Or would you recommend upgrading to double mono or a 250 Pro for even better performance.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
awesome system