Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheaper with SAM vs. more expensive without?
Just bumping this again as I am now about to start some serious demos.

Is anyone using Spendor D7's with their Devialet? Any comments?
Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Hana Blue; Intel NUC + Roon ROCK; Devialet 440 Pro CI; Kudos Titan 707 using AXD; Kudos, Chord, Audioquest cables
Dublin, Ireland
SAM only is active at lower frequencies so if one speaker has a better mid-range and treble than another it still will after SAM.

I think it makes sense to audition SAM corrected models as a preference it will still probably not be the SAM aspects of the speaker which determine whether it is to your taste or not.
IMHO.
I think if you are auditioning full range speakers SAM is unlikely to make a big enough difference tp reject one speaker over another.
My main speakers will never be SAMmed and it bothers me not a jot.
OTOH SAM makes a marked difference on my KEF LS50s and other small speakers and may well be a determining factor in the choice of a limited bass extension model..
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I have auditioned the Devialet Ensemble (D120 + ATOHM GT1 SPECIAL EDITION) and the sound was awesome with clear and relaxed base. it was in a small room though. so i guess that would be a safe bet to go with decent bookshelf SAM ready for smaller rooms

i also auditioned the D800 with Wilson Audio Duette and that was in a way bigger room and again it was mind blowing. in the same room with the same D800 i also tried the Sophia 3 and surprisingly did not sound as nice on the low frequencies (but this was a new pair not fully run in).

Earlier i auditioned Vivid Audio Giya G3 and G4 and i liked the sound more with SAM off!

in my System (currently D200 + ML ESL) SAM helped the speaker to play with ease, confidence and control on the low frequencies ... oh you should listen to Jonas Helborg - The Silent Life on my system with SAM onSmile

So i guess this is in line with many posts we saw here that some like sam on and other like it off. Also other speaker that are not sam ready and dons't look they ever will (e.g. ML Montis) they still sound great with Devialet.

this is surely a very subjective thing and depends on your system, room, taste, genres you play, and preference. so bottom line aim for an audition in your own room, while this is not always possible nor practical, but it is the best way for you to judge

Cheers
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
thanks guys, I am trying as far as possible to do home demos, but I have limited dealer coverage where I live so not easy to get a wide range into my home. My strong preference is to take SAM ready options, but equally I think over the next few months they will do even more so this will be less and less restrictive.
Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Hana Blue; Intel NUC + Roon ROCK; Devialet 440 Pro CI; Kudos Titan 707 using AXD; Kudos, Chord, Audioquest cables
Dublin, Ireland
Although the bass "boost" / correction of SAM is only available below 150Hz I believe, rather like Linn's Exakt tech, that there is phase correction(*) going on at all frequencies.

And yes, I would definitely ONLY get SAM speakers these days. My Atomh GT1's (Which I realize don't meet your requirements [White bookshelf]) are significantly improved by SAM.

Rik

(*)Possibly not the correct term
Devialet Ensemble

Hampshire, UK
(26-Nov-2014, 14:33)amabrok Wrote: Earlier i auditioned Vivid Audio Giya G3 and G4 and i liked the sound more with SAM off!

I have the G2 and SAM is a big improvement. But 100% is too much for my room, 50% is just fine. Simply activating SAM does not always give the best result as 100% is the default...
(26-Nov-2014, 14:33)amabrok Wrote: I have auditioned the Devialet Ensemble (D120 + ATOHM GT1 SPECIAL EDITION) and the sound was awesome with clear and relaxed base. it was in a small room though. so i guess that would be a safe bet to go with decent bookshelf SAM ready for smaller rooms

i also auditioned the D800 with Wilson Audio Duette and that was in a way bigger room and again it was mind blowing. in the same room with the same D800 i also tried the Sophia 3 and surprisingly did not sound as nice on the low frequencies (but this was a new pair not fully run in).

Earlier i auditioned Vivid Audio Giya G3 and G4 and i liked the sound more with SAM off!

in my System (currently D200 + ML ESL) SAM helped the speaker to play with ease, confidence and control on the low frequencies ... oh you should listen to Jonas Helborg - The Silent Life on my system with SAM onSmile

So i guess this is in line with many posts we saw here that some like sam on and other like it off. Also other speaker that are not sam ready and dons't look they ever will (e.g. ML Montis) they still sound great with Devialet.

this is surely a very subjective thing and depends on your system, room, taste, genres you play, and preference. so bottom line aim for an audition in your own room, while this is not always possible nor practical, but it is the best way for you to judge

Cheers

Good point about the ML Montis. I have ML Vantage speakers and would only ever consider going for another pair of MLs - SAM or no SAM.

The speed and imaging properties of electrostatics are more important to me than SAM.
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB
(27-Nov-2014, 22:11)ozthepoz Wrote:
(26-Nov-2014, 14:33)amabrok Wrote: So i guess this is in line with many posts we saw here that some like sam on and other like it off. Also other speaker that are not sam ready and dons't look they ever will (e.g. ML Montis) they still sound great with Devialet.

Good point about the ML Montis. I have ML Vantage speakers and would only ever consider going for another pair of MLs - SAM or no SAM.

The speed and imaging properties of electrostatics are more important to me than SAM.

I feel the same. I've heard lots of electrodynamic (cone) speakers with Devialet, some with SAM, others not. I know my Montis will never get SAM, but no way would I go back to cone speakers for the sake of SAM.

Tomorrow I'm getting a 200 "Companion" on home demo plus a Sanders Magtech power amp. Should be an interesting three-way shoot-out: D200 vs D400 vs Magtech.

Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
(27-Nov-2014, 22:50)Jwg1749 Wrote:
(26-Nov-2014, 14:33)amabrok Wrote: So i guess this is in line with many posts we saw here that some like sam on and other like it off. Also other speaker that are not sam ready and dons't look they ever will (e.g. ML Montis) they still sound great with Devialet.

I feel the same. I've heard lots of electrodynamic (cone) speakers with Devialet, some with SAM, others not. I know my Montis will never get SAM, but no way would I go back to cone speakers for the sake of SAM.

Tomorrow I'm getting a 200 "Companion" on home demo plus a Sanders Magtech power amp. Should be an interesting three-way shoot-out: D200 vs D400 vs Magtech.

Matt
Please tell us how the comparison went? And you have the Montis, right?
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
(27-Nov-2014, 22:50)Jwg1749 Wrote:

Matt

What source are you going to use with the Magtech?

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK