Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Phantoms and home cinema
That's correct. I can adjust the sync for movies off hard disk such that delay becomes unnoticeable (including multichannel). What's more the offset is fairly constant and doesn't need adjusting. I can only watch the TiVo satisfactorily in direct stereo mode; passing it through my surround amplifier introduces too much latency. Of course some are more sensitive than others to lip sync... but we shouldn't overlook our ability to get used to a small amount of delay and stop noticing it.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
I have tried different delays on my HTPC (I use VLC, a very good video player, with multiple options and very easy to understand).
500 ms is just comic.
200 ms is noticeable.
100 ms is okay. I can go with 100ms.

But I need my TV audio to go through my AV Receiver.
So I will wait till I have some good news from Devialet. I hope.
(09-May-2015, 14:58)Phs Wrote: I did a quick measurement of audio delay on Phantom using ethernet cable between Dialog and Phantom both running 1.1.2.0
Phantom alone (without Dialog), fed on optical input gives 222 ms delay
Phantom + Dialog fed on Phantom's optical input gives 222 ms delay
Phantom + Dialog fed on Dialog's optical input gives 235 ms delay

This means roughly 5.5 video frames delay. This is way too much to achieve acceptable audio/video sync. The sync problem is obvious and annoying both on dialog lipsync in movies and live music performances.
In pro applications we consider 1 frame delay to be an acceptable maximum since most people can already see a 2 frames sync issues.

I wonder if Devialet can really reduce the current delay to an acceptable value ...

PH

And what about one phantom in mono connected directly through optical without any stereo or multi-room sync?!
"Phantom alone (without Dialog), fed on optical input gives 222 ms delay"
Lol, no real difference whatsoever. Do you think DSP is the main reason?
Just that you know: I asked Devialet support if the "home cinema update" (planned for October) will be a hardware update or a software update.
They told me not to worry because it will be a software update.
So there is no hardware update planned to resolved the delay issue. Just software updates...
That's great to hear, since Devialet software is so robust
Devialet D400, Magico S3, Crystal Cable Dreamline Plus, Aurender N100H, PS Audio Premier, QNAP NAS
I just bought 2 phantom silver + connect.
I would like to try them in home cinema mode, fed either from my tv or the Oppo optical out. I tried to connect a normal optical cable into one of the phantoms (the connect is too far away), it does fit but there is no space left to reinsert the phantom electrical cable afterwards. Do I need to buy a special optical cable?
Separately, is there any particular setup to do to the TV/Oppo optical out to ensure best SQ on phantoms?
Help appreciated!
Hi. I bought a smaller cable and it works. However I have a problem with 2 phantoms in stereo mode. One has software v1.4, the other v1.3. I have connect. Despite having done the setup twice the v1.3 never upgraded. This is probably the cause of a very fastidious noise in the v1.3 speaker when played in stereo (when mono all is ok). Does anyone know how to fix this?
Firmware 1.4 was withdrawn due to particularly naughty bugs. Count yourself lucky you still have one Phantom with 1.3! And no... they can't be downgraded.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.