Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
ROON
(21-Dec-2016, 20:56)thumb5 Wrote: Could anyone using Roon on Mac please let me know whether it now works nicely with AIR (3.0.x)?  Last time I tried it, which was nearly a year ago, it sounded awful; I think there was some kind of sync problem resulting in frequent, periodic, just-about-audbile glitches.

Why don't I just try it for myself?  I'd need to arrange another Roon trial to find out for myself and there's little point in doing so if it's known not to work.

Thanks in anticipation...

I was using dedicated mac mini Roon, Air 3, Ethernet D400 for about 4 months
NEVER had one problem.

i have since switched to an Aurender N100H

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

I have used a Mac Mini, a Windows PC laptop and a Intel NUC running Windows 10 Pro with the AIR 3 betas since they came out. It has worked flawlessly for me with Roon. It also instances I was running RoonServer on the machine listed above.

Please be advised that I have my D440 connected via ethernet to a switch which is than connected to my router (Asus RT-AC1900P, previously an Apple Extreme).

The machines running RoonServer and AIR3 have all been connected via ethernet as well. The ethernet goes form the machine to my switch ($22 switch) to my router.

Let me know if you need any additional information. FWIW I did have a microRendu which arrived a week or two before the AIR3 Betas. In the end I sold the microRendu, not disparaging the microRendu, in my setup the sound quality was comparable to AIR3.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(22-Dec-2016, 01:18)baddog Wrote: I have used a Mac Mini, a Windows PC laptop and a Intel NUC running Windows 10 Pro with the AIR 3 betas since they came out. It has worked flawlessly for me with Roon. It also instances I was running RoonServer on the machine listed above.

Please be advised that I have my D440 connected via ethernet to a switch which is than connected to my router (Asus RT-AC1900P, previously an Apple Extreme).

The machines running RoonServer and AIR3 have all been connected via ethernet as well. The ethernet goes form the machine to my switch ($22 switch) to my router.

Let me know if you need any additional information. FWIW I did have a microRendu which arrived a week or two before the AIR3 Betas. In the end I sold the microRendu, not disparaging the microRendu, in my setup the sound quality was comparable to AIR3.

Sorry to butt in. I use an Apple Extreme and would like to ask why you changed to the Asus router?

Alex.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
So don't consider this empirical by any means.

I have a two story home and had been using two Airport Extremes and very happy with them. However I became concerned with overall internet security and the fact that perhaps as they were a few years old, something better had come along. Asus makes very good routers as well, they have a separate branch of firmware updated by a gentlemen named Merlin, and include some additional built in security features. Plus they are slightly easier to configure some details related to security and traffic monitoring. 

So call it a whim or whatever I upgraded to the ASUS, removed both Extremes from the household and get very good coverage on both floors. It could be that I could have slimmed down to one Extreme and have been just as happy. I do think that I am getting slightly better range with the ASUS, but I could be wrong.

Also I do like the enhanced security feature suite in the ASUS.

That being said the Extremes served me very very well for many years and I have set them up in both my brothers and mothers households, as they are easy enough for me to manage them without getting caught up in minutiae.

Net-net - potentially broader coverage in my home, additional security features and I like the traffic analyzer feature.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(22-Dec-2016, 02:48)Ŷbaddog Wrote: So don't consider this empirical by any means.

I have a two story home and had been using two Airport Extremes and very happy with them. However I became concerned with overall internet security and the fact that perhaps as they were a few years old, something better had come along. Asus makes very good routers as well, they have a separate branch of firmware updated by a gentlemen named Merlin, and include some additional built in security features. Plus they are slightly easier to configure some details related to security and traffic monitoring. 

So call it a whim or whatever I upgraded to the ASUS, removed both Extremes from the household and get very good coverage on both floors. It could be that I could have slimmed down to one Extreme and have been just as happy. I do think that I am getting slightly better range with the ASUS, but I could be wrong.

Also I do like the enhanced security feature suite in the ASUS.

That being said the Extremes served me very very well for many years and I have set them up in both my brothers and mothers households, as they are easy enough for me to manage them without getting caught up in minutiae.

Net-net - potentially broader coverage in my home, additional security features and I like the traffic analyzer feature.

Ah, I see! Thanks for the comprehensive answer. And apologies for posting OT.

Alex.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
ROON 1.3 is coming and looks amazing!

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/0...-roon-1-3/

Please, please, please Devialet build Roon compatibility into the streamer board!
Roon/RAAT - Dev 250 Pro - AQ Castle Rock - SF Olympica ii
(01-Jan-2017, 17:44)Chris Marshall Wrote: ROON 1.3 is coming and looks amazing!
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/0...-roon-1-3/

And I believe that's not all.... Smile

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

One of my NY's resolutions is to get to the bottom of my issues with Roon.

I am literally plagued by dropouts. Usually restarting Roon Server on the sonicTransporter does the trick but sure enough they do return. They are worse with 24bit and DSD.

I am pretty sure it's not my network, but I suppose there might be something funny going on there.

My guess is that it's either a problem with the sonicTransporter or the Totaldac implementation of Roon. I did already discuss this with Andrew @ Small Green Computer (the makers of the sT) and he seemed to think it was something I needed to raise with Roon. Being lazy and preoccupied with other things I did not follow this up properly.

With all the new functionality coming with 1.3 I do wonder if my sT will be able to cope with it. Sometimes it can be a little sluggish with searches.

My Roon is up for renewal in April, and as much as I love the interface (I really do) I'm not sure if I will commit to another year. 

What would really suit me would be Roon integration with Qobuz but I realise this isn't going to happen soon since Qobuz have designs of their own, in terms of owning the desktop. I find myself listening to Qobuz over 70% of the time and it is growing. Superb sound quality and wonderful music selections and suggestions.

I do find it terribly frustrating that these companies won't link up properly and ironically I suffer more dropouts with Roon than, say, AIR.

Happy New Year everyone!  Smile

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(01-Jan-2017, 21:56)GuillaumeB Wrote: With all the new functionality coming with 1.3 I do wonder if my sT will be able to cope with it. Sometimes it can be a little sluggish with searches.

My Roon is up for renewal in April, and as much as I love the interface (I really do) I'm not sure if I will commit to another year. 

What would really suit me would be Roon integration with Qobuz but I realise this isn't going to happen soon since Qobuz have designs of their own, in terms of owning the desktop. I find myself listening to Qobuz over 70% of the time and it is growing. Superb sound quality and wonderful music selections and suggestions.

I do find it terribly frustrating that these companies won't link up properly and ironically I suffer more dropouts with Roon than, say, AIR.

Happy New Year everyone!  Smile

Guillaume

Its not easy to troubleshoot these kinds of issues, but it would be a real shame if you had to lose Roon if you really like it.

My suggestion, would be to systematically isolate each component to see what it might be. My hunch is networking but whether it's the ST or totaldac or the remaining network is hard to isolate without doing it bit by bit. If you had another machine you could temporarily use as the rooncore server, that would at least hopefully tell you whether the ST is to blame and then it would be up to SGC to help you. If not do you have any other zones you could try in place of the total DAC? Since it's RoonReady and should've been tested thoroughly youd hope the issue wouldn't be there but in any case it means the Roon guys have it to test so I'd definitely contact Roon support.

I had some occasional Roon dropouts that were hard to diagnose but I had a hunch about the cause - it just took ages to get round to doing it. My hunch was partly right, and it was an OS X update I did (plus a funky thing going on with a raspberry pi which I hadn't guessed). Doing a fresh install of the OS cleared it up in general, bar one zone. And a reinstall of the pi fixed it there. I'm guessing the OS update had adjusted some networking thing somewhere but I never worked out what it was really. All I knew was I had a stable system for a year and then it went downhill shortly after I updated (which I never do usually - ironically I only did it to try AIR on a different OS to see if it fixed the issues there, which I didnt, it just broke a Roon). This isn't specifically helping you I know, but just saying it's worth going through the motions if you want to keep Roon.

1.3 round the corner has a lot of nice new features so it would be a shame to lose it now.

The Qobuz issue is annoying. I worked pretty hard rallying support to get Qobuz to do it (and to get Roon keener on the ideainitially) but it fell on deaf ears at the Qobuz end. I hope Roon work round it, there's always hope for 1.4.....

HNY by the way!

Just as an after thought have you tried adjusting the buffer for RAAT?

[actually that option doesn't seem to appear in my RoonReady settings on the rendu whereas it does on the raspberry pi's. Maybe this is hardware dependent for RoonReady? That's a shame. I might ask them if this can be exposed. ]

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

It sounds like a Roon will be having a very comprehensive update soon. Unfortunately, I'm unable to use it in my present setup. What would be the cheapest way for me to be able to run it?
South Coast England