Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
ROON
As did I

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
I've added a poll.

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=1424
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Roon Does DSD (Now) from the The Absolute Sound website:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles...s-dsd-now/
(07-Jun-2015, 14:33)struts Wrote:
(07-Jun-2015, 13:18)f1eng Wrote: Is Roon any use for tagging large classical music libraries in a convenient way? I haven't found a streaming software which is any good at filing and finding classical music yet.

It's good but far from perfect.  For instance it tags principal soloists in operatic and choral works (which I could never be bothered to do myself) with hyperlinks to reviews, biographies and other works by the same artists.  I find this capability really captivating, hours flying by as I surf while listening.  

The metadata, while rich, certainly aren't perfect.  For instance it seems to attribute works to John Eliot Gardiner and Sir John Eliot Gardiner as if they were different people, works by Handel are tagged as variously Handel and Haendel, etc.  

I would say that to answer your question you really need to test drive it yourself, since "convenient" can be quite subjective and Roon may handle some areas of classical repertoire (much of mine is reasonably mainstream) better than others.  But it's orders of magnitude better than anything else I've seen and I ponied up for a lifetime subscription without hesitation (or regret).

Thanks. Just getting something that doesn't put the title of the whole work before movement title in the "song" field wold make it easier to browse.
I'll wait, my CDs are still easier to find than a classical work in iTunes or Sooloos.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Funny,when using Roon i get hang on the air module at the imac every time Sad
Roon Nuceleus + Core/Tidal > Rood Ready wired ethernet > Keces P8 LPS > EtherRegan switch > D250 PRO > Sonus Faber Cremona M
Nordost Frey 2 Power cable - Blue Jeans Speaker Cables - Audioquest Diamond and Supra cat8 ethernet cables
Other: Ipad air with ROON Control / Pro Ject ground base - ISO Acoustics Orea - Herbie Tenderfoots 
"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
(09-Jun-2015, 19:47)Petter Wrote: Funny,when using Roon i get hang on the air module at the imac every time Sad

Roon and Air don't get along on the OSX.  I don't think the Roon people have a Devialet to even investigate the problem.

Personally, it's just another example of the flaky Air implementation.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Still holding out for the ios before trying, as I can't face any more VNC. And qobuz would have probably clinched it regardless of SQ, but it doesn't sound like that's on the cards sadly. I don't really like the subscription deal, or the price, but that's just me, and I'd probably stump up if they pledged to support all cd quality and above streaming services. Ok just qobuz. Just add qobuz and I'm in!! (just incase they ever read here).

What's most impressive though is seeing them release such a decent (by all accounts) piece of software, and interact with their user base and respond to queries and deal with bugs quickly. It's nice to see from a startup (not that they're new to the game). Good luck to them.

Devialet could learn a thing or two from watching how they work... Or even better get them onboard instead of writing their own streaming system, and free up some resources to do other things.

That said, six months on and there's still no sign of an ios remote for the only other playback software I use, so maybe these guys are just really good!

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Is there anybody out there who got working roon and air ethernet together on a mac mini in exclusive mode? Usb does it nicely, but I would prefer to connect with ethernet.
Linn LP12 Sondek + Radikal + Urika + Ekos II + EMT HSD006 - roon nucleus + SBooster - Devialet 220 Pro CI - Kef LS50 - Dspeaker Antimode 8033s II + SBooster - Kef KF92 Subwoofer

Bavaria
(11-Jun-2015, 22:21)Hifi_swlon Wrote: What's most impressive though is seeing them release such a decent (by all accounts) piece of software, and interact with their user base and respond to queries and deal with bugs quickly.  It's nice to see from a startup (not that they're new to the game). Good luck to them.

Devialet could learn a thing or two from watching how they work... Or even better get them onboard instead of writing their own streaming system, and free up some resources to do other things.

That said, six months on and there's still no sign of an ios remote for the only other playback software I use, so maybe these guys are just really good!
Well they have been working on it for many years, it would seem.
I was surprised to find on one of my rare visits to a Meridian forum that they are the software development team from the Meridian Sooloos which have (amicably) broken away from Meridian. Presumably to make money from software development which costs an absolute fortune to do yet so many users expect it to be free.
It was going to be Sooloos v3 apparently. If it is a logical development of Sooloos v2 I can see the attraction, though still pretty useless for classical music. I gave up on classical with my Sooloos.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(09-Jun-2015, 19:43)f1eng Wrote:
(07-Jun-2015, 14:33)struts Wrote:
(07-Jun-2015, 13:18)f1eng Wrote: Is Roon any use for tagging large classical music libraries in a convenient way? I haven't found a streaming software which is any good at filing and finding classical music yet.

It's good but far from perfect.  For instance it tags principal soloists in operatic and choral works (which I could never be bothered to do myself) with hyperlinks to reviews, biographies and other works by the same artists.  I find this capability really captivating, hours flying by as I surf while listening.  

The metadata, while rich, certainly aren't perfect.  For instance it seems to attribute works to John Eliot Gardiner and Sir John Eliot Gardiner as if they were different people, works by Handel are tagged as variously Handel and Haendel, etc.  

I would say that to answer your question you really need to test drive it yourself, since "convenient" can be quite subjective and Roon may handle some areas of classical repertoire (much of mine is reasonably mainstream) better than others.  But it's orders of magnitude better than anything else I've seen and I ponied up for a lifetime subscription without hesitation (or regret).

Thanks. Just getting something that doesn't put the title of the whole work before movement title in the "song" field wold make it easier to browse.
I'll wait, my CDs are still easier to find than a classical work in iTunes or Sooloos.

Don't listen to much classical music, but it will not be long now before Roon adds more elaborate metadata editing. At the moment all the tagging is mainly done automatically through their extensive databasing, however it's not perfect, but on the whole a helluva lot better than most any other software I have tried. I am sure multiple instances of an artist will be sorted in time, similar to how one can co-join CD's in a boxset or tracks that are either separated (or missing) fairly well now.

The great thing with Roon is that it has so many features over and above other software, yet there is a whole long list of improvements and features on the waiting list for development or incorporation.
Devialet 220 Pro, TQ Black Mains & Ultra Black Speaker Cables, Naim Ovators S600, Sonore microRendu (Roon & HQP) with Uptone JS-2
TRNC (North Cyprus)