Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
ROON
(03-Jan-2017, 12:05)Wdw Wrote:
(03-Jan-2017, 03:02)baddog Wrote: Oh dear, long reply lost into the ether.

I have run RoonServer on my Synology NAS, which has a older CPU and 3GBs of RAM, it worked fine, save searches in Roon were noticeably slower. I wouldn't recommend it for an optimal experience. I believe your NAS only has 2GBs of Ram which is going to be less than optimal.

Maximum amount of usable memory on a 32 Bit OS is 4GB.

If you decide to go down the Roon Core Kit path, you could leverage you existing NAS, and add either an Intel NUC5/NUC6 running either Core i3/Core i5. A minimum of 4GB of memory is required and 64GB of storage.

i.e. an Intel NUC6i3 with 16GB of RAM & 256GB M.2 drive would set you back ~ $490

i.e. an Intel NUC6i3 with 8GB of RAM & 256GB M.2 drive would set you back ~ $420

Etc...

Do you feel the i3 is more than adequate for the role as ROON Core or would a more powerful i5 offer any advantages?  Have been looking at either the NUC6i5SYK or NUC6iSYK and also wondering if one should look to, say, a one TB internal M.2 PCIe drive to host the music library assuming this would be preferred from a sonic perspective.  (have heard that the PCIe bus is the lowest noise of current formats)
wdw

I went back and forth between a NUC6i3 and NUC6i5, I was going to get the NUC6i3 because of lower power consumption but in the end decided to spend a little more money and "future proof" with the NUC6i5, cost different was $75. One of the Roon principles states an i3 should be more than sufficient unless one has a very large library of music files (which seems to be greater than 100k tracks).

I put a 1TB M.2 drive in mine and created two partitions, one for the Windows 10 boot partition and installing RoonServer, and the other for my music files. In fact I also add a 2TB SSD to the NUC to put most of the remaining music collection on. I have about 3.6TB of music files, so the rest are on the NAS when and if I so desire.

I have not noticed an adverse musically impact by doing things this way, other ears may be more sensitive than mine. I love the convenience of one tiny box tucked away in another room hooked up by ethernet and running AIR3. This just leaves the D440s and the speakers in the music room.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(03-Jan-2017, 19:16)Lbaddog Wrote:
(03-Jan-2017, 12:05)Wdw Wrote:
(03-Jan-2017, 03:02)baddog Wrote: Oh dear, long reply lost into the ether.

I have run RoonServer on my Synology NAS, which has a older CPU and 3GBs of RAM, it worked fine, save searches in Roon were noticeably slower. I wouldn't recommend it for an optimal experience. I believe your NAS only has 2GBs of Ram which is going to be less than optimal.

Maximum amount of usable memory on a 32 Bit OS is 4GB.

If you decide to go down the Roon Core Kit path, you could leverage you existing NAS, and add either an Intel NUC5/NUC6 running either Core i3/Core i5. A minimum of 4GB of memory is required and 64GB of storage.

i.e. an Intel NUC6i3 with 16GB of RAM & 256GB M.2 drive would set you back ~ $490

i.e. an Intel NUC6i3 with 8GB of RAM & 256GB M.2 drive would set you back ~ $420

Etc...

Do you feel the i3 is more than adequate for the role as ROON Core or would a more powerful i5 offer any advantages?  Have been looking at either the NUC6i5SYK or NUC6iSYK and also wondering if one should look to, say, a one TB internal M.2 PCIe drive to host the music library assuming this would be preferred from a sonic perspective.  (have heard that the PCIe bus is the lowest noise of current formats)
wdw

I went back and forth between a NUC6i3 and NUC6i5, I was going to get the NUC6i3 because of lower power consumption but in the end decided to spend a little more money and "future proof" with the NUC6i5, cost different was $75. One of the Roon principles states an i3 should be more than sufficient unless one has a very large library of music files (which seems to be greater than 100k tracks).

I put a 1TB M.2 drive in mine and created two partitions, one for the Windows 10 boot partition and installing RoonServer, and the other for my music files. In fact I also add a 2TB SSD to the NUC to put most of the remaining music collection on. I have about 3.6TB of music files, so the rest are on the NAS when and if I so desire.

I have not noticed an adverse musically impact by doing things this way, other ears may be more sensitive than mine. I love the convenience of one tiny box tucked away in another room hooked up by ethernet and running AIR3. This just leaves the D440s and the speakers in the music room.
Barr,
Thanks for your reply...your system is what I am imagining mine would look like although I haven't messed around with Windows in some time so am cautious.  
How large did you make the boot and Roon Server partition?
Cheers,
Warren
Hello Warren - The boot drive, C:,  is 128GB, I could have gotten away with 64GB and been more than fine, it is recommended to reserve 20GB for Windows 10, and the Roon database I would size as requiring 2GB per 1000 albums. So I think 64GB would provide you more than enough storage for Windows and Roon plus its database.

That leaves about 810GB remaining for the second partition with music files (if you partition as I did at 128GB, 874GB if you use a 64GB partition for the boot drive).

Mostly all Mac here, so I have Microsoft Remote Desktop running on my Macs to access the NUC which I am running headless (Windows 10 Pro).

I did a whole bunch of optimization of Windows 10 Pro after I installed it to disable unneeded services, log files and updates. I found a bunch of handy scripts on CA for this task.

So now with it optimized, I don't have constant updates to the OS impacting playback or my setup.

But yes, proceed with caution if you haven't used Windows in a while, I had to do a fair bit of reading ahead of time.

Barr
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(03-Jan-2017, 03:02)baddog Wrote: I have run RoonServer on my Synology NAS, which has a older CPU and 3GBs of RAM, it worked fine, save searches in Roon were noticeably slower. I wouldn't recommend it for an optimal experience. I believe your NAS only has 2GBs of Ram which is going to be less than optimal.

I also had Rood Server running on my QNAP 471 (3,2 GHz Processor / 16 GB Ram) and had similiar experiences with search speed, etc. Although it ran approx. 3 months without issues, once my library exceeded 100 k files things started getting weird. Tidal integration would not function properly, etc. I have now moved Roon Server (back) to my Windows 10 machine and everything works like a charm.

IMO, you will have a better experience if go with a windows based solution.
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
Roon will get MQA software decoding perhaps not in 1.3 but in the near future.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-so...ing-31155/
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Given the many references to Roon in this forum, I thought I would give it a try.   I have loaded my 5075 albums into the Roon library only to find that it has ignored my carefully chosen album labels and replaced them with those from Roon. Thus an album of compositions by the composer Alban Berg can appear under A or B. To complicate this artist driven albums, which I mostly index by composer can appear under the artist's name.  As a hypothetical example Martha Argerich playing a Beethoven piano concerto could be listed under M , A , L or B.  

I know that the tags can be changed to the file tag at the individual album level, can this be done globally?

If this cannot be fixed easily, it will be back to iTunes!
(13-Jan-2017, 01:33)Will Wrote: I know that the tags can be changed to the file tag at the individual album level, can this be done globally?

Select all the albums in the album browser.  Top left corner.

Adjust your tagging preferences on the selection.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(13-Jan-2017, 01:46)I Dr Tone Wrote:
(13-Jan-2017, 01:33)Will Wrote: I know that the tags can be changed to the file tag at the individual album level, can this be done globally?

Select all the albums in the album browser.  Top left corner.

Adjust your tagging preferences on the selection.
Thank you!  It was not all that obvious.
I think Roon's default assumption is that most people have NOt gone to the trouble of tagging to the extent you have. But when it comes to classical music, being meticulous with tagging is important and relying on Roon's metadata leaves somethign to be desired.

It will be interesting to see if/how Roon changes tagging behavior in their upcoming 1.3 version. It would be wonderful if they could either discern that you've gone to great lengths with your own tags or at least give you an upfront option to prefer filetags when they exist over their own metadata.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(13-Jan-2017, 15:22)mdconnelly Wrote: I think Roon's default assumption is that most people have NOt gone to the trouble of tagging to the extent you have.   But when it comes to classical music, being meticulous with tagging is important and relying on Roon's metadata leaves somethign to be desired.

It will be interesting to see if/how Roon changes tagging behavior in their upcoming 1.3 version.  It would be wonderful if they could either discern that you've gone to great lengths with your own tags or at least give you an upfront option to prefer filetags when they exist over their own metadata.

I have been meticulous with "tagging" almost since day one of collecting music.  My LP collection was always properly sorted as was my CD collection and as I moved to digital I devised my own system which including obvious things such as use of last names for composers and only including initials (following the last name) where they were needed to distinguish the composer, such as the various Bachs. I also delete punctuation and accent marks.  The fields I focus on are Album Title, Album Artist (I insert an Album Artist if missing as is sometime the case) and composer.  Of course, it means I have to edit every album I download or rip.

It would be great if Roon provided the upfront option you suggested. I have added an additional album since I had fully loaded my library and changed all the tags back to the file tags. I had monentarily forgotten the default Roon setting as my new album appeared to have disappeared into the digital ether.  It was quickly fixed.  Roon has great metadata editing tools. It would also be great if you had the option to apply the edits done in Roon back to the original file.