Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
ROON
Roon's original priority was match against it's meta data source to get all that extra rich meta data. That was priority number 1, and user tagging was an afterthought. Over the last couple years Roon has been reworking things to allow more user specific tagging as they find many users are meticulously tagging their music. I assume some major changes needed to be made to the local database to accommodate this.

It's getting better.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

I don't think that there are "many" users that are particular about their tagging, on the Roon forum, probably the best place for Will to discuss this, there are very few people who hold a strong view on local tagging. As the whole initial premise of Roon was to increase the automatic meta data and linking process surely if one is really worried about personal tagging then Roon is not the software of choice.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(13-Jan-2017, 19:01)NickB Wrote: I don't think that there are "many" users that are particular about their tagging, on the Roon forum, probably the best place for Will to discuss this, there are very few people who hold a strong view on local tagging. As the whole initial premise of Roon was to increase the automatic meta data and linking process surely if one is really worried about personal tagging then Roon is not the software of choice.

I think initially that was true, Roon didn't add much for well tagged collections.  Now though, with their great remotes, roon endpoints, HQ player integration, squeezebox & sonos integration and eventual remote sync and playback, Roon offers something for even the most meticulous taggers.

Go Roon!!!
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

The fact that Roon offers the ability to properly tag and organize album info is a huge benefit that far exceeds (IMO) what simple file tagging can allow and does so in a scalable fashion.   I hope that they continue to improve our ability to manage our own music databases using their software beyond what file tags and their metatags can provide.   The infrastructure is in place.  It's just a matter of improving the tools to manage it.   I do have great confidence in where Roon is going.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
Again than you for your assistance/comments on tagging in Roon.  I also logged my issues on Roon site, which I found a bit daunting to navigate, and thus I was a bit sceptical about whether I would get a reply as well as the timeliness of any reply.  I also logged a request here knowing how helpful people on this site are.  However, my scepticism about Roon was unwarranted, not only did I get a reply but a considerable extension of my trial period so that I will be able to also trial the new software that apparently is about to be released.  A definite plus from me for both Devialet Chat and Roon customer service.  Wink
Roon 1.3 will be released today! Don't believe me? Check your email. Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Just spotted that too - really looking forward to trying it again.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(01-Feb-2017, 20:57)thumb5 Wrote: Just spotted that too - really looking forward to trying it again.

I just got the email too Big Grin

Looks like we can bring Sonos into the picture now, which is brilliant!

I have to say that in terms of responsiveness and communication, Roon and Devialet are at opposite ends of the spectrum!
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
This looks interesting. Although I have to admit that I have a terrible fear of new audio software, I have been badly bitten in the past....

So if you guys could give it a try, see if all is good, and I'll probably jump in at the weekend and join the fun.

Meanwhile, I am very pleased to see some additional functionality aimed at audio performance, rather than just new library features. Good stuff!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(01-Feb-2017, 22:24)Confused Wrote: This looks interesting.  Although I have to admit that I have a terrible fear of new audio software, I have been badly bitten in the past....

So if you guys could give it a try, see if all is good, and I'll probably jump in at the weekend and join the fun.

Meanwhile, I am very pleased to see some additional functionality aimed at audio performance, rather than just new library features.  Good stuff!

I am sure there will be some glitches - but I believe that Roon will iron them out a lot faster than some other companies we could mention.....

Tell me - half a year down the road, what do you feel about all the promises that the Devialet guys came out with about better communications etc? Personally, I am loving my O d'A, as I know you are delighted with your 1000 Pro, but, beyond the actual product ...?
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3