Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When to buy Phantoms?
Hi
Is it a good time to buy the Phantoms now or should one leave it until they have a stable streaming system sorted out? Does it drive you guys nuts?

I haven't heard them yet but reading the posts of CliveGrace over at pfm I going to order from devialet without hearing them first. I emailed them and they say I can return them within 14 days if I am not happy although I am the type that hate and feel guilty returning things Blush

The plan was going to be a process of upgrading to one of the expert amps then a year or two upgrade my speakers but going by the posts of some forums it migh be cheaper and quicker to get the phantoms.
Love the idea of no amps dacs hifi support etc. I have enough clutter as it is.
I was in the same boat, I wanted the D200 to work with my Quad ESL2805s and listened to some before discovering the Phantoms. I now have the phantoms and could keep my ESLs/Accuphase combo into the bargain. Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I mean if the phantoms comes close to a pair 800 diamonds they do sound like a bargain. Wasn't going to spend that type of money on my speaker upgrade in the first place. Just you hear the problems with the streaming that puts me off I can go nuts when that happens. Have to admit it would have to be the silver phantoms all the way not too much of a price difference.
Well if you are not in a hurry you could wait until mid-June, when they will apparently ship Phantoms with integrated Bluetooth support.

(15-May-2015, 13:28)clive.grace Wrote: oo... silver metal sides

Indeed, and the non-shiny stainless steel parts look much better on Silver Phantoms.
Superstock, very curious to know how you would rate your phantoms against your ESLs? I'd expect them to be a fair bit louder, more interested in whether they can match in the aspects that the ESLs do very well.
1000 Pro / Magico A5 / REL Studio III
(15-May-2015, 14:03)Dom Wrote: I mean if the phantoms comes close to a pair 800 diamonds they do sound like a bargain. Wasn't going to spend that type of money on my speaker upgrade in the first place. Just you hear the problems with the streaming that puts me off I can go nuts when that happens. Have to admit it would have to be the silver phantoms all the way not too much of a price difference.

FWIW I do not stream from the internet at all so do not have either Deezer or Qobus subscriptions I had heard they were the source(s) for which the Phantom software has been optimised. I have only had any problems when the music I am listening to is sent wirelessly on my network, I get a hesitation at the beginning of tracks.
Anything connected optically has worked well.

I do have problems with either Spark or the Dialog "losing" a Phantom from time to time, which the help desk have been trying to resolve for me. I have some more tests to do for them by connecting the Phantoms to the network by ethernet. Mind you if that is the only consistently working solution, I won't be keeping them since more permanent wires is not an option.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(15-May-2015, 14:21)EvPa Wrote: Well if you are not in a hurry you could wait until mid-June, when they will apparently ship Phantoms with integrated Bluetooth support.

(15-May-2015, 13:28)clive.grace Wrote: oo... silver metal sides

Indeed, and the non-shiny stainless steel parts look much better on Silver Phantoms.
Is that a software update or a physical update? 
Don't use Bluetooth much I mainly stream from a nas. Looking forward to playing with a new toy though  Blush
I have had mine for about two weeks and they have been rock solid on streamed music from Deezer. They also work with my cd player and cocktail ripper. I suppose it would have been nice to have Bluetooth installed from the start although they are sending the gismo next week. I am not likely to use it but my kids will. I have found their customer support very good. I do have to question their marketing given none of the ancillary bits are available. However having dealt with French business' I am not at all surprised. It is certainly worth the saving buying directly from Devailet. A pain to have to order in French but they arrived in three days fron the Order.
(15-May-2015, 13:22)superstock Wrote: I was in the same boat, I wanted the D200 to work with my Quad ESL2805s and listened to some before discovering the Phantoms. I now have the phantoms and could keep my ESLs/Accuphase combo into the bargain. Smile

Good heavens superstock.............FOUR PHANTOMS!!!!

I have a question, I was thinking of adding a 3rd phantom to produce a 3.0 sound. Left and Right and Centre. But an electrician friend said that would not be advisable because of the power draw, because at full tilt each would require 12.5 amps of power (3000/240) * 3 =37.5Amps. So theoretically my mains ring would not be able to take it. But you have 4!!! So I guess my friend was incorrect.

On the same note, the salesman at Harrods said he had installed multiple Krells rated at higher watt ratings on a UK ring mains, without issue. So based on what you have done and the anecdotal experience I just mentioned, would 3 or more Phantoms represent a problem or not in your opinion?
Power rating is peakpower, so unless having 4 phantoms in mono playing at 105dB it shouldn't be a problem I guess!