Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When to buy Phantoms?
(15-May-2015, 15:40)devianet Wrote: Superstock, very curious to know how you would rate your phantoms against your ESLs? I'd expect them to be a fair bit louder, more interested in whether they can match in the aspects that the ESLs do very well.

They are very different animals and I would describe the the Quads unsurprisingly of having limited dynamics and scale, and switching from one system to the other takes a while to adjust. I do however still enjoy what the Quads have to offer but you need to choose your music carefully, when you play the right music they excel with vocals and the finer nuances of music. The flat panels and sound radiating pattern (both forward and backward) doesn't seem to be affected by the normal room interaction that I get with other point source (normal) speakers. 

The phantoms are polar opposites. I personally consider them as "very large speakers". They interact with my room like any large standard speaker and despite their small physical size sound spectacular, and I can play stuff on them that I wouldn't even dream of playing on the Quads.  I'm surprised by the depth of "good" bass and clarity and speed across the whole frequency range. 

I am starting to believe Deviates claims regarding their response, distortion and accuracy which is quite a relaxing proposition when playing some challenging content.

I'm a happy customer.

speaking about where to buy: I think they're no longer available from Colette. Can't see them on the site.
I have the 2905s + REL Studio 3 + DPremier in a very large room and don't have any problems with high volumes and proper bass on all types of music, but of course they excel at coherency and detail at all volumes even very low. Having said that, the nature of the beast is such that I usually prefer to listen at moderate volumes as that fully recreates the ambience of the recording.

Sounds like the phantoms wouldn't be an upgrade for me, except in terms of funds and real estate freed up.
1000 Pro / Magico A5 / REL Studio III
(16-May-2015, 05:54)brighty Wrote: speaking about where to buy: I think they're no longer available from Colette. Can't see them on the site.

They might have retired them temporarily to wait for the next Bluetooth-equipped batch.

Devialet told me to get in touch with Colette for the free Bluetooth module so they are still officially selling their stuff.
Free Bluetooth module? I need to drop them a line, then...

Thanks.
(15-May-2015, 14:21)EvPa Wrote: Well if you are not in a hurry you could wait until mid-June, when they will apparently ship Phantoms with integrated Bluetooth support.

Indeed, and the non-shiny stainless steel parts look much better on Silver Phantoms.

Is the bluetooth really integrated into the phantoms and a dongle add on afterwards? There's not many connections on the phantom or the dialog I will dyefinitely wait until mid-June if that's the case.
[Image: a21e5326a28912484354cf9cbcd20045.jpg]I just found this picture from the Munich High-End show (thank you my-hiend.com) and it seems that Tidal will be included in the Spark app within shortly.

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk
- Proud Devialet owner since 2011!

Main system:
Devialet D250 Pro, Magico Q3 speakers, Shunyata Anaconda speaker cables, Shunyata Sigma HC power cable/Shunyata Cyklops V2 power conditioner/Shunyata Digital power cable, Shunyata DF-SS cable lifters, Jenving CAT8+ Ethernet cables, Auralic Aries Mini with SBoost power supply, Shunyata Venom USB.

Working at Akkelis Audio in Gothenburg, Sweden
(16-May-2015, 10:33)EvPa Wrote:
(16-May-2015, 05:54)brighty Wrote: speaking about where to buy: I think they're no longer available from Colette. Can't see them on the site.

They might have retired them temporarily to wait for the next Bluetooth-equipped batch.

Devialet told me to get in touch with Colette for the free Bluetooth module so they are still officially selling their stuff.

(16-May-2015, 11:46)brighty Wrote: Free Bluetooth module? I need to drop them a line, then...

Thanks.

Damn I think I will wait for next batch, received an email from devialet and described it as a bluetooth dongle and the new batch will be integrated inside. Agreed a low price for the sale of my dac to fund the phantoms as well Sad
My BT module is on its way from Colette. I'm not expecting anything miraculous and I'm not terribly sure how useful it would be unless you plan to carry the phantoms to use outside of a wifi environment..
I think the main use of this BT module will be to allow friends play their music on Phantom from their smartphones without having to install Spark and discover how painful this app is Smile
BT and Airplay support are needed if Devialet wants to sell Phantom to "normal" people, who are not ready to put the effort we do to improve sound reproduction.
I wrote my thoughts about this topic in this article a few weeks ago.
PH