Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom sound - boxed, dipole etc?
(17-May-2015, 14:10)Gremlin Wrote: And stereo does mean three-dimensional. I used to have a few test tracks that had a scratching sound (as far as I remember) ascending from each speaker in turn and then arcing over and between the two.

No it has 2 speakers so 2 dimensions. For 3 dimensions a minimum of 3 speakers would be needed and theatre system actually use far more to give an acceptable 3D effect.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I've got that test track too, and the scratchy noise plainly goes in an arc above and below the speakers... by about 5ft! Haven't tried it with the phantoms though. I have had many instances where the vocalists mouth appears to be well above the top of the speakers. Such effects are always more prominent with eyes closed of course. Maybe some room reflections exacerbate it more.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
Here's a link to the tests. Try them!

http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_ledr.php
(17-May-2015, 17:17)Gremlin Wrote: Here's a link to the tests. Try them!

http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_ledr.php

While I understand the theory, I can't deny what I have heard - and I hear height in some recordings, and this means that the theory misses some important aspect.

A mechanism has been suggested, whereby the time differences between the sounds overhead and their floor reflections are recorded (together with the time difference between ears) and interpreted by the ear as height information. In my case, this works well since I am listening near field - probably a longer distance would add playback floor reflections on recorded floor reflections and spoil the effect.

By the way, how can we localize height at all - if we only have two ears in the same horizontal plane? Shouldn't we have three ears to get height?
Oslo: sources: Mac Mini/Itunes/Audirvana,  glassfiber toslink/Mapleshade clearview USB to D200;
Double helix to Gallo Strada 2 with mapleshade stands, TR3 subwoofer.

Spain: Oppo 95 vacuumstate modded, Kimber select 1021, Linn Classik Movie Di to Gallo Solos through Goertz Python cable

Thanks for all the replies. Keep them coming....