Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
DSD via USB
With the new firmware and configurator DSD64 files can be played on the expert line via USB. Set up is via Audirvana on MAC http://en.devialet.com/docs/DSD.pdf .  I downloaded some free test files from https://www.nativedsd.com and had also some test files from iRiver. I imported these folders into Audirvana + 2.0 but they did not show as albums unless I edited the metadata by adding an album name. 
Playing these files from Audirvana works great and my D250 shows them (after long press) as DSD64. The sound quality was good but not anything special. I also played the same files via my Astell&Kern AK120 via toslink (optical input) and I found the sound quality in my initial listening slightly better that way. The AK120 converts the DSD64 files into 88/24 and that is confirmed by my D250.
So I am wondering about all the publicity DSD gets in general and Devialets implementation.  I hear no obvious sonic advantage of DSD. The file size of  88.2/24 is 80% of DSD 64. Is it worth exploring DSD more?
Explore more, yes. Try David Elias, who has been a proponent of DS for many years now. Either go direct to his webpage where you can get all his music on DSD. But first, I came across him where he has 3 tracks available for free download on the Oppo website https://www.oppodigital.com/hra/dsd-by-davidelias.aspx

'Visions of Her' can be downloaded as DSD, 24-bit and 16/44.1, so that you can compare. I have compared the first and last so far, via Audirvana / MacMini and USB on the Dev 200. The former is far superior in SQ, there really is something to this DSD. It is night and day on my system, so it's possible that, like we had with so many 24-bit tracks being so-so, the quality of the native or converted DSD is going to play a big factor. Being fully DSD, David Elias seems to show off what is good about DSD.
Devialet 220 Pro, TQ Black Mains & Ultra Black Speaker Cables, Naim Ovators S600, Sonore microRendu (Roon & HQP) with Uptone JS-2
TRNC (North Cyprus)
Hi ! 
I did update yesterday to firmware 8,
So I tried today some DSD files (dsd 64), using my Synology NAS via devialet USB.
It is working very well (exception that the DS audio from Synology doesn't play these DSD files gapless).

My question si the following one :
When listening to these DSD files, as pressing (I mean Long pressing) the source button on remote control, the sampling frequency is shown on amp display.
Instead to read DSD or something like that, 192 KHz is displayed.
Is it the same for you ?
Is it normal ?

Devialet 200 - Restek Ergo - synology 214+
Master Loudspeakers : Grand Cru Audio Essentiel
Funny toys Loudspeakers : Penaudio Charisma
No, your player must be downsampling, check the DS Audio manual.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(16-May-2015, 16:49)Antoine Wrote: No, your player must be downsampling, check the DS Audio manual.

Hell Antoine,
Thanks for your answer,
What should I read on main display with DSD files ? 
"Dsd 64" ?
You ought to use Minimserver instead of Synology DS..
Don't waste your time with DSD. DSD supposed superiority has been debunked many times, downloading PCM vs DSD is a non issue (same quality) DSD was only better when comparing a SACD vs DVD-AUDIO units. 
Well I got a chance to listen to to DSD vs PCM of the same album.. DSD won. Just wish there was more music that I want in DSD..
(16-May-2015, 16:42)Funsloop Wrote: Hi ! 
So I tried today some DSD files (dsd 64), using my Synology NAS via devialet USB.
It is working very well (exception that the DS audio from Synology doesn't play these DSD files gapless).

When listening to these DSD files, as pressing (I mean Long pressing) the source button on remote control, the sampling frequency is shown on amp display.
Is it the same for you ?
Is it normal ?

I assume you are using AIR to get the files from the Synology to the Devialet?
(16-May-2015, 20:54)ErikM Wrote:
(16-May-2015, 16:42)Funsloop Wrote: Hi ! 

Is it the same for you ?
Is it normal ?

I assume you are using AIR to get the files from the Synology to the Devialet?
Hello again,

The synology server is using USB connection straight to the Devialet's USB input.

Any suggestion ?