Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Video of SAM in action !!
Video from Devialet posted on their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=734...=2&theater
Interesting. Clearly SAM lowers the cut off point of the speaker in the bass with the only way it could, increasing cone movement below the acoustic cutoff point.
I wonder how loud something with a tiny unit (like the LS50) can go with bass correction like that before they have to start rolling off the effect to avoid damage?
Ought to bring my LS 50s downstairs, do a SAM config and try them I suppose.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Interesting indeed, may make it possible to get much more out of small stand-mounted speakers - and make the wife more happy.

Should we be concerned about that extra movement damaging the speakers over time? What about warranty if an element gets damaged, should we expect speaker manufacturer to point at them being driven too hard (would only apply to new speakers, but still).
QNAP TS219P II/ TIDAL-Hifi > Roon@mac-mini > AIR3-Cat6 > Devialet 250 > Audience AU24 SE > Gallo-3.5Ref (w/ SAM)
(30-Jun-2014, 19:15)f1eng Wrote: Interesting. Clearly SAM lowers the cut off point of the speaker in the bass with the only way it could, increasing cone movement below the acoustic cutoff point.
I wonder how loud something with a tiny unit (like the LS50) can go with bass correction like that before they have to start rolling off the effect to avoid damage?

I'd be interested to hear your view of the LS50s. There's a nice chap on the What Hifi forum who runs LS50s with a Dev 120 and really rates the SAM effect, but he does get some boominess with deep electronic bass -- which may be a room problem.

SAM claims to offer speaker protection, so I'd have thought the big issue would be LF distortion: how much harder can you drive a small cone without break-up?

My only SAM experience was a short listen to the B&W 805Ds with and without SAM. I thought the SAM effect was dramatic and entirely positive.

Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
This looks crazy...

I have heard two very different things from B&W regarding SAM. In a hifi magazine they said that the chief engineer of B&W was not at all happy about Devialet using their speakers like this and from Devialet I have heard that B&Ws people went to Paris and listened to SAM and was very impressed and they will send down all their models to be mapped and possibly that they even wanted to buy the SAM technology from Devialet. I wonder which view is correct...
(30-Jun-2014, 20:40)Jwg1749 Wrote:
(30-Jun-2014, 19:15)f1eng Wrote: Interesting. Clearly SAM lowers the cut off point of the speaker in the bass with the only way it could, increasing cone movement below the acoustic cutoff point.

I'd be interested to hear your view of the LS50s. There's a nice chap on the What Hifi forum who runs LS50s with a Dev 120 and really rates the SAM effect, but he does get some boominess with deep electronic bass -- which may be a room problem.

SAM claims to offer speaker protection, so I'd have thought the big issue would be LF distortion: how much harder can you drive a small cone without break-up?

My only SAM experience was a short listen to the B&W 805Ds with and without SAM. I thought the SAM effect was dramatic and entirely positive.

Matt

I have intended to try the LS50s in my main room, but am still listening to my main speakers for now and my amps will have to go back to have the SD card slots fixed (or something else if that isn't it).
The main problem is my listening room is about 5m x 10m which is a bit big for the LS50. I had them in here for a while when I first got them. They really are knockout speakers, IMHO, massively better than one may expect for the price. At least I have space to position them so they minimise the excitation of room modes.
Cone breakup is a resonance and happens at any power level at the appropriate frequencies, usually on large cones used a bit too high in frequency. The limit of bass power on such a small unit will normally be cone travel.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(30-Jun-2014, 22:10)f1eng Wrote: Cone breakup is a resonance and happens at any power level at the appropriate frequencies, usually on large cones used a bit too high in frequency. The limit of bass power on such a small unit will normally be cone travel.

Yes, quite right.

(30-Jun-2014, 21:20)Ekmanc Wrote: This looks crazy...
I have heard two very different things from B&W regarding SAM. In a hifi magazine they said that the chief engineer of B&W was not at all happy about Devialet using their speakers like this and from Devialet I have heard that B&Ws people went to Paris and listened to SAM and was very impressed and they will send down all their models to be mapped and possibly that they even wanted to buy the SAM technology from Devialet. I wonder which view is correct...

I talked about this to my local dealer, who stocks Devialet and sells as many high-end B&Ws as anyone in the UK. He said B&W were close to Devialet and were involved in the development of SAM.

Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
This looks kind of like the woofer jumping caused by subsonic frequencies when playing a warped or heavily damaged vinyl record. I'm also curious about the long-term effects on the driver.
Thorens TD-166 MK II, Intel NUC (Streacom fanless case, Windows 10, Audiophile Optimizer, Roon, HQPlayer and Acourate), HDPlex 100W LPSU, Uptone Regen, Devialet 120, Sonus Faber Liuto, GIK Acoustics Bass Traps
(30-Jun-2014, 23:25)pete86 Wrote: This looks kind of like the woofer jumping caused by subsonic frequencies when playing a warped or heavily damaged vinyl record. I'm also curious about the long-term effects on the driver.

Well not quite! Playing an LP through a phono stage with no warp filter (which is daft BTW) does give bass unit pumping, but it is visibly synchronous with the record turning, not like this.
Hopefully Devialet have rolled off the effect just before the cone bottoms out on all SAM files that they have created, so it should be OK on the drive unit.
Oxfordshire

Hello,
does someone knows the references of the music we can ear in this video? I have asked Devialet,
but I did not get any reply at the moment.
Best regards,
Sylvain
Devialet 800, Focal Utopia Diva (SAM), Roon 1.3 (build 242, Devialet Air in Roon) + Audio PC (customized Windows 10) + Android app
France