Poll: Do you like the sound of the new 8.0 firmware?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
58.33%
77 58.33%
No
15.15%
20 15.15%
Undecided or can't hear a difference
26.52%
35 26.52%
Total 132 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New 8.0 firmware
Do you like the sound of the new 8.0 firmware?
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
No, not particularly! But still going to experiment with DPM settings.
Didn't really care for 7.1.3 either.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

It would be good to clarify what is meant by 'can't hear a difference'. Can't hear a difference between what and what? 7.1.1 and 8.0 would the most relevant comparison. I guess

A better/more topical question might have been: "Which version of the firmware do you like best: 7.1.1, 7.1.3, 8.0, other"
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
I do like it. It seems to suit my D200 and Raidhos well. 7.1.3 was also a goodie though and I haven't really compared them very thoroughly.
Mine is working fine, I've noticed dynamics have slightly improved (I listen at low volume generally) and ambience is improving as well, but I suspect this is more to do with my speakers (ML Montis with my Sasha 2 expexted next month) and CD player (Esoteric K-01x) running in. I work such long hours here in Qatar, I'm lucky to listen a couple of hours per week!

I won't be able to comment on the phono stage until I buy a turntable early next year
Hello,

I like the V8, because i noticed an improvement on lower volume and SAM. Overall i am very satisfied with the V8.

David
Very happy here, v8 sounds like 7.1.3 which is great over USB.

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
I didn't like V8 as although the sound was open and detailed there was too much treble in my system which emphasised hiss on older recordings, added a false ambience and also gave an unnatural 'edge' to female vocals - something which I have previously worked hard to get rid of.  I'm not sure about the bass either.  Overall I found the system to be irritating to listen to.

I think that its unfortunate that Devialet sometimes change the sound balance when introducing new firmware.  Its great that they continue to improve SQ but a lot of us spend time tweaking our systems to get the balance we want so its annoying when Devialet make a change which screws it up.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(21-May-2015, 17:35)PhilP Wrote: I didn't like V8 as although the sound was open and detailed there was too much treble in my system which emphasised hiss on older recordings, added a false ambience and also gave an unnatural 'edge' to female vocals - something which I have previously worked hard to get rid of.  I'm not sure about the bass either.  Overall I found the system to be irritating to listen to.

I think that its unfortunate that Devialet sometimes change the sound balance when introducing new firmware.  Its great that they continue to improve SQ but a lot of us spend time tweaking our systems to get the balance we want so its annoying when Devialet make a change but don't even tell us that they have. 

Its interesting how differently we all hear, and what effects firmware changes have depending on system. I feel exactly as you about v8 - to me the Devialet with v8 has gone back more towards my former Naim amp with much more mid emphasis and more 'aggressive' sound. Not as far, but in the direction. Yet many find it much better in their setups so I think we may well be in trouble!

If the sound presentation can change so radically (in relative terms and to my ears) with each update, then you haven't really bought into a 'Devialet sound' in my opinion, you've got a box that is going to sound however Devialet feel at the time….

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

7.1.3 sounds great in my system and to my ears. All systems, spaces and ears are unique, so it is quite understandable that there is such a variance. I think as long as you have the choice/opportunity to select a firmware that suits your taste, everyone should be happy :-)
Devialet 250 Firmware 10.1 SAM 100% (USB & AIR Ethernet) Wilson Audio Duette (MK1), REL S3, Innuos Zenith 2TB SSD, Roon, Audioquest Diamond & Chord Epic Reference. Qobuz & Tidal.