Poll: Do you like the sound of the new 8.0 firmware?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
58.33%
77 58.33%
No
15.15%
20 15.15%
Undecided or can't hear a difference
26.52%
35 26.52%
Total 132 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New 8.0 firmware
There should be another voting option of " scared to try it "................. Smile
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(21-May-2015, 18:08)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Its interesting how differently we all hear, and what effects firmware changes have depending on system.  I feel exactly as you about v8 - to me the Devialet with v8 has gone back more towards my former Naim amp with much more mid emphasis and more 'aggressive' sound.  Not as far, but in the direction.  Yet many find it much better in their setups so I think we may well be in trouble!

If the sound presentation can change so radically (in relative terms and to my ears) with each update, then you haven't really bought into a 'Devialet sound' in my opinion, you've got a box that is going to sound however Devialet feel at the time….

Its funny that you should say that because I moved to Devialet to get away from the 'aggressive' and fatiguing Naim sound Wink (Quick EDIT to say I do like Naim's top end systems NDS/552/500 Wink )

And I very much agree with your second point - I loved the Devialet sound when I first heard it (and sold my Naim system within a couple of weeks of hearing Devialet) but the sound (with V8) has now changed and I'm afraid I don't like it   Confused
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(21-May-2015, 19:11)Womaz Wrote: There should be another voting option of " scared to try it "................. Smile

Chicken Smile

Its easy to try - just make sure you have copies of your current firmware and configs before you do. Given that Hifi_swlon has PMC Fact 8s and you have PMC speakers too then it will be interesting to hear what you think.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
I reverted back to 7.1.1 on my D premier..8 sounded hard and edgy.. the amp became very analytical to me..
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
(21-May-2015, 19:18)Rodney Gold Wrote: I reverted back to 7.1.1 on my D premier..8 sounded hard and edgy.. the amp became very analytical to me..

Nail on head Smile  

Too analytical and IMHO it detracts/distracts from the music.  Given that many people seem to like V8 it I guess it must be system dependent.
I like the sound of version 8.0 although I was much more impressed by 7.1.3 as this changed the sound more dramatically in my opinion. I'll still need some time to listen and compare although this is of course quite tricky as one has to switch the SD card several times and boot the systen again. Since I have installed my D200 on the Devialet acrylic table stand its difficult to reach the SD card slot and I was wondering if there is a SD card changer available on the market ;-) ?
iMac Core i9, Roon lifetime, Qobuz Sublime+, OPPO BDP-103EU, Kanex Pro HDMI Audio Extractor, Dual CS 617Q, Devialet 220 PRO Core Infinity, Bowers&Wilkins 804 D2, Oppo HA2, Sennheiser HD 800S, Living Room, Enjoy Listening, Germany
(21-May-2015, 19:26)blair.athol Wrote: I like the sound of version 8.0 although I was much more impressed by 7.1.3 as this changed the sound more dramatically in my opinion. I'll still need some time to listen and compare although this is of course quite tricky as one has to switch the SD card several times and boot the systen again. Since I have installed my D200 on the Devialet acrylic table stand its difficult to reach the SD card slot and I was wondering if there is a SD card changer available on the market ;-) ?

I know you're a fan of King Creosote. Have your tried listening to "Diamond Mine" with V8?  Its one of my favourite albums but I was disappointed with how it sounded when using V8.
What would be the biggest factor in not being able to hear a difference I wonder?
I'm surprised at the number….

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Hi Philp,
you might be right, I am just listening to Bats in the Attic which I know by heart and I got the impression its sounds still good but a bit more analytical, a little less warm with a weaker bass fundament. Difficult to explain as it is still a great sound quality overall but when I listened to it last time with 7.1.3 I was just overwhelmed of the sound and now its just good...
Btw, I am listening over Air always and there are nomdrop outs for quite some time now.
iMac Core i9, Roon lifetime, Qobuz Sublime+, OPPO BDP-103EU, Kanex Pro HDMI Audio Extractor, Dual CS 617Q, Devialet 220 PRO Core Infinity, Bowers&Wilkins 804 D2, Oppo HA2, Sennheiser HD 800S, Living Room, Enjoy Listening, Germany
(21-May-2015, 21:23)blair.athol Wrote: Hi Philp,
you might be right, I am just listening to Bats in the Attic which I know by heart and I got the impression its sounds still good but a bit more analytical, a little less warm with a weaker bass fundament. Difficult to explain as it is still a great sound quality overall but when I listened to it last time with 7.1.3 I was just overwhelmed of the sound and now its just good...
Btw, I am listening over Air always and there are nomdrop outs for quite some time now.

That's just how I would describe the differences that I heard.  

I use either AIR wi-fi (no drop-outs, no white noise ever) or coax from my Naim streamer.