Poll: Do you like the sound of the new 8.0 firmware?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
58.33%
77 58.33%
No
15.15%
20 15.15%
Undecided or can't hear a difference
26.52%
35 26.52%
Total 132 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New 8.0 firmware
Wise words Allen, and I have to say, for me I find it very frustrating that Devialet release beta software like this, request feedback, and yet Devialet provide zero information or feedback in return. I don't want much, just a few clues as to what they are trying to achieve, but zero feedback makes me feel like Devialet are treating their customers with a degree of contempt. Not much information on RAM or any of the other new toys either. I think my real frustrations stems from the fact that Devialet would only need to do a tiny bit more to make me very satisfied indeed.
Reversed to 7.1.1, order and sound restored  Smile
My 800 system with wilson sasha sound more open with old firmware, 8.0 for me was just "muddy"
At first I did like V8 very much: very open sound field, but then it happend: my complete lower register was gone!
I was quite impressed the improvement SAM made for me with V7, this seems to be quite a change for V8.

Regarding the beta 7.1.3, this firmware is much more to my liking vs 7.1.1 and V8 -> It sounds more natural, more dynamic, more "right", also with the lower register intact. Also there is more "power" available, as I can play much louder at the same dB. I strongly recommend everyone to try this firmware!
Stereo: Sonus Faber Amati Futura - Graphite -> Yter Loudspeaker Cable -> Devialet D250 - Chrome -> LessLoss DFPC Orginal Powercord
Source: Mac Mini -> Devialet Air Ethernet
Control: iPad Air / iPhone 5S -> Apple Remote
(Cross post from "Firmware 8.0 thread)

I took some REW measurements of 7.1.1, 7.1.3b and 8.0.0.  With SAM defeated, and ICM defeated in 8.0.0, there is no significant difference between the three.  Any variation can be attributed to measurement error.

[Image: LS50%20FW%20versions_1.jpg~original]

However, in 8.0.0, ICM (Intelligent Cinema Mode) is defaulted to ON and you are most likely hearing its effects as shown below when you load 8.0.0 and a config file created under the "new" Configurator.

[Image: ICM%20on%20vs%20off.jpg~original]

As far as I can tell, there is no way to defeat ICM from the configurator - meaning the only way to turn it off is to map the "ICM on/off" function to a remote button and then manually defeat it.  It seems to be a smooth, subtle downward tilt toward the high frequencies, approx. 1dB down at 1 KHz, 2dB down at 10 KHz, and 3dB down at 20 KHz according to the graphs.  The hinge point appears to be around 100-150 Hz.  Note that ICM seems to adjusted dynamically depending on volume, and this represents only a single volume setting.

(Expert 200 was at level of -18 for all measurements.  KEF LS50s are on loan and it's unknown if they are fully broken in.  UMIK and latest REW version for OS X.  Except for the "ICM on/off" remote control mapping, the same config file was used for all FW versions - downloaded 5/17 using the new Configurator.  The overall measurement level is low but all measurements were made under the same conditions.  FW version measurements taken approx. 30min apart.  DPM was on during all 8.0.0 measurements.  Room is 12x20 and reflective.  Speakers are along the long wall, microphone approx. 8ft from each speaker.)
Excellent graphs, could you please advise what software / kit you used to achieve? Ah, just noticed on another thread you are using REW, any advise on settings? Your graphs look a little better than mine. I plan to do similar tests next weekend, when I should have some time.
(23-May-2015, 15:16)IGuardianI Wrote: At first I did like V8 very much: very open sound field, but then it happend: my complete lower register was gone!
I was quite impressed the improvement SAM made for me with V7, this seems to be quite a change for V8.

Regarding the beta 7.1.3, this firmware is much more to my liking vs 7.1.1 and V8 -> It sounds more natural, more dynamic, more "right", also with the lower register intact. Also there is more "power" available, as I can play much louder at the same dB. I strongly recommend everyone to try this firmware!

Try 8.0 with DPM OFF and ICM OFF!!!!!
But for all the noise about how terrible V8 is only 15% don't like it !!!!!!!!
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
Happy with v8 now I've got the config right.

Maybe we need a thread to explain all the configuration tips needed that Devialet don't tell us about.

I don't get how they can think that the subsonic filter should be on by default and give you no option to turn ICM off unless using the remote.

Cheers

Chris
Has anyone done a vanilla config and tested that icm is on as a standard setting?
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(23-May-2015, 21:41)Confused Wrote: Excellent graphs, could you please advise what software / kit you used to achieve?  Ah, just noticed on another thread you are using REW, any advise on settings?  Your graphs look a little better than mine.  I plan to do similar tests next weekend, when I should have some time.

On the HomeTheaterShack site, check out the sticky about posting graphs. It gives some basic settings so that people's graphs conform to a uniform appearance.