Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you integrate your sub(s)?
As I mentioned on another thread, I'm thinking about adding a sub or maybe two.

I'm interested to know how Devialet users set up their subs? e.g.
  • how many subs?
  • fed from the pre-outs?
  • using low- and high-pass filters?
  • what filter slopes and at what frequencies?

Cheers,

Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
I have a Sonus Faber Gravis B1, which I drive from my 200's pre-out. At the moment it gets a full-range signal and I use the low-pass filter on the sub itself. I've tuned it to some extent by measuring the in-room response (using FuzzMeasure Pro) which was very helpful in integrating it more effectively. I'm sure it would be possible to do a better job but it all takes time...

I have been thinking of trying a DSPeaker Anti-Node - in-line between the 200 and the Gravis - to do some more sophisticated room correction for it. Would be an interesting experiment, I think.

Ian
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I gave up on room correction electronics with my single sub, improvements in one part of the room were outbalanced by being worse in other parts.
2 or 4 subs can be shown to be better to give a good chance of a reasonable overall integration and their position needs to be optimised too.
I don't want to have 4 REL Studios in my room, thank you very much, particularly optimally positioned!

I have been dissatisfied with both home theatre and other types of automatic correction, for some reason, I know others swear by it.

So for music I have full range speakers and use the sub for films only.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(03-Jul-2014, 13:54)Jwg1749 Wrote: As I mentioned on another thread, I'm thinking about adding a sub or maybe two.

I'm interested to know how Devialet users set up their subs? e.g.
  • how many subs?
  • fed from the pre-outs?
  • using low- and high-pass filters?
  • what filter slopes and at what frequencies?

Cheers,

Matt

Hi,

I use one sub, a Linn Melodik, fed from mono subwoofer output, fullrange. The internal crossover of the sub builds a low pass at 79Hz.
My main speakers (Kef LS50) are fed from the Devialet's active crossover with a high pass at 79Hz, 4.th Order.
Between my sub and my Devialet is a DSpeaker Antimode 8033II-S, which does in my case a superior job in filtering out room modes.
I found the filter slopes and frequencies in long hard listening sessionsTongue but did a lot of measurements, too.
Linn LP12 Sondek + Radikal + Urika + Ekos II + EMT HSD006 - roon nucleus + SBooster - Devialet 220 Pro CI - Kef LS50 - Dspeaker Antimode 8033s II + SBooster - Kef KF92 Subwoofer

Bavaria
I'm using one JL Audio Fathom F112 sub together with a DSpeaker Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0 DSP.

The Devialet applies a high pass filter (2nd order, 80Hz) to my loudspeakers so that it doesn't have to amplify the low frequencies (saving power) and my main loudspeakers don't have to play these frequencies as well. The sub out on the Devialet is configured to output a full range signal to the AM2.0. The AM2.0 then applies a fourth order low pass filter (also at 80Hz) and of course the room correction algorithm. I came to these values using REW measurements as well and of course my ears. All filtering on the sub itself is turned off.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Thanks for the replies.

The reason I asked is that I'm thinking of adding two subs, for two reasons. First, to provide the LF acoustic cues that are missing in my system. It's not a question of digging for more musical information: there isn't much under 80Hz anyway. It's more about ambience, especially for well recorded classical music.

The other reason is that, as Frank writes above, multiple subs, if optimally positioned, are a good way to cancel out bass peaks and nulls, indeed arguably the best way.

My speakers consist of a panel that goes down to 340Hz, and an active sub that does everything below that. I was thinking of setting the Dev's high-pass filter at 80Hz and running the new subs from the pre-outs. This seems like the approved method on the Martin Logan users forum, and it conforms to what people here are doing.

Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
Anyone using Rel subs with highlevel input? Or tried it on Devialet?
Naim nac-n 272, Naim nap-300, PMC Fact 12, Audience AU24SE power cables, Oppo BDP-103D
I am, works fine

(18-Jul-2014, 20:05)Sobert Wrote: Anyone using Rel subs with highlevel input? Or tried it on Devialet?
Since my post #2 above, I've changed my 200's configuration to use a high-pass filtered output (65 Hz, 24 dB/octave) to the main speakers. This is intended to complement the sub's built-in low-pass filter which is also 65 Hz, 24 dB/octave - the sub still receives a full-range signal from the 200's mono output.

Unfortunately I can't turn off the filter in the sub otherwise I could have tinkered with the cross-over frequency simply by configuring the 200.

Somewhat to my surprise this has improved the sound quality quite noticeably - not sure I can put my finger on it, but things seem to flow better.

The next step is to try a DSPeaker in line between the 200 and the sub. I have an Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core arriving in a few days so it will be fun to see what it can do.
Warwickshire, UK
The Anti-Mode has arrived. First impressions: it's easy to set up, and does a noticeably good job of tightening up and evening out low bass. Somehow it seems to have worked out that my sub has a low-pass filter and isn't trying to correct that! More playing, listening and experiments to be done...
Warwickshire, UK