Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet vs or with Chord Hugo...
How about for digital inputs? (AIR or usb)
USB you don't get a choice (?). AIR I tend to set to 24/192 on the PC/Mac but I think that might be pointless anyhow in bit perfect mode? Always meant to ask about that...
The way I use it (Ethernet straight into the Dev) I set an initial, preferred setting of 192/24, but then depending on the particular bitrate of each song Air changes the Dev's Dac setting to match. Therefore, Rufus would be right in stating it it somehow pointless in these kind of scenarios to worry about this particular setting.
(09-Oct-2014, 19:01)IGuardianI Wrote: How about for digital inputs? (AIR or usb)

The setting in the configurator is for the sampling of analogue inputs, so has no effect on any digital inputs, they depend only on the signal you send to the Devialet.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(08-Oct-2014, 09:12)PhilP Wrote:
(08-Oct-2014, 04:28)chrish Wrote: Yeah, I thought about that but I guess the Devialet will just resample the analog output back to digital again (but at a lower sample rate) and lengthen the signal path. Might be an interesting experiment though. I'll let you know how it sounds.

Gonna be very interested to hear what the Devialet sounds like when I finally get my turntable setup. Digitizing the input from a phono cartridge sounds strange to my old fashioned hifi sensibilities, but I've heard rave reviews so I'm excited to give it a try. Guess even Linn is doing this these days with their Exact systems.

One of the great things about Devialets is that they really are very transparent and preserve the character of the source. This applies both to digital and analogue sources e.g. see f1eng's post earlier in this thread. I use an LP12 with my 200 and find that the coloured but really rather nice sound of the turntable is perfectly preserved Smile I'm sure you wont be disappointed when you finally get to hear your Avid.

Yep, can't wait. I'm going to order a cartridge this week. Started collecting vinyl again this last few weeks. Can't believe the resurgence in vinyl over here in the US. Lots of record shops springing up all over the place.

(09-Oct-2014, 16:50)Mikeeo Wrote:
(09-Oct-2014, 13:06)chrish Wrote:
(08-Oct-2014, 09:46)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(08-Oct-2014, 09:12)PhilP Wrote: One of the great things about Devialets is that they really are very transparent and preserve the character of the source.

+1

I used to run a Klimax DS through the analogue inputs of my Devialet. Sounded great and I preferred it to the sound of the Devialet DAC on its own.

Then I started experimenting with tweaks and got my Devialet sounding even better without the KDS. I therefore sold it raising funds to pay for even more tweaks! Tongue

Guillaume

Hope Devialet do the summer price reduction on the slave 250 unit again at some point. Missed the event this Summer. Think I will upgrade to the Devialet 800 at some point, even though I don't really need that sort of power. Like the mono bloc idea. Does the sample rate get increased to 384KHz like it says on the their website?

Chrish,

I have in vain tried to get an explanation from Devialet. The only answer I got was that I should ignore that info as this is not true. HOWEVER it is still there since the news came out about the 400 and 800.

I've given up writing to Devialet as I most of times get avoiding nonsense answers. It was better in the past so I guess something changed in Devialets strategy and their hybris is worse than ever.
Saying this I still think that the their units are among the best gear out there.

/Mike

Know what you mean Mike. I asked them about preferred phono settings for the Benz LP-S cartridge, and I just got some generic nonsense back.
(14-Oct-2014, 16:10)chrish Wrote: Know what you mean Mike. I asked them about preferred phono settings for the Benz LP-S cartridge, and I just got some generic nonsense back.

To be fair Chris there is not much likelihood of them knowing any more about your cartridge than you do...
Hopefully the spec supplied by Benz has the recommended loading in it and the nominal output voltage.
cheers,
Frank
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(15-Oct-2014, 14:08)f1eng Wrote:
(14-Oct-2014, 16:10)chrish Wrote: Know what you mean Mike. I asked them about preferred phono settings for the Benz LP-S cartridge, and I just got some generic nonsense back.

To be fair Chris there is not much likelihood of them knowing any more about your cartridge than you do...
Hopefully the spec supplied by Benz has the recommended loading in it and the nominal output voltage.
cheers,
Frank

Guess you're right. Problem I had was that person I talked to sounded like a first level technical support guy, and had no clue what I was even asking about. Anyway, Mike kindly provided his settings so I have a good start Smile