Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jriver and Devialet
(26-Jul-2014, 19:13)ogs Wrote:
(26-Jul-2014, 18:17)SteveO... Wrote: Nice and simple.

Intel NUC / Win 8 / J-River 19 / USB (ASIO Driver) / D200
Files are FLACs accessed over wired gigabit LAN from file server.

Rock solid. No crashes. No drop outs. I can't remember the last time I played a CD. Even Gizmo works pretty reliably.

This is similar to my setup. Intel NUC, Server 2012R2, MC19 - FLAC files on a NAS. Good sound, but the setup crashes all the time (MC). Which file server are you using?

Ogs, just to make sure : did you try to play the same Flac's from your local drive or a USB stick while disconnecting your NAS ?
(26-Jul-2014, 19:38)Georgethesixth Wrote: Ogs, just to make sure : did you try to play the same Flac's from your local drive or a USB stick while disconnecting your NAS ?

Yes I have a small library with some of the files from my NAS on local disk. This is stable and works well, but there is no way I'll ever move my music library away from the NAS. JRiver has a problem with this, even the Linux version. The other players I have tested work well in this setting.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(26-Jul-2014, 19:51)ogs Wrote:
(26-Jul-2014, 19:38)Georgethesixth Wrote: Ogs, just to make sure : did you try to play the same Flac's from your local drive or a USB stick while disconnecting your NAS ?

Yes I have a small library with some of the files from my NAS on local disk. This is stable and works well, but there is no way I'll ever move my music library away from the NAS. JRiver has a problem with this, even the Linux version. The other players I have tested work well in this setting.

I'm of the same opinion : files belong on a NAS. It was just for troubleshooting : same files, different interface. Don't jump to conclusions about problems with MC19 and NAS. It is fairly common architecture. I use exactly the same architecture and - apart from white noise issues - it works flawless. You have not enabled jumbo frames on one of the devices or use nic teaming ?
(26-Jul-2014, 22:58)Georgethesixth Wrote: I'm of the same opinion : files belong on a NAS. It was just for troubleshooting : same files, different interface. Don't jump to conclusions about problems with MC19 and NAS. It is fairly common architecture. I use exactly the same architecture and - apart from white noise issues - it works flawless. You have not enabled jumbo frames on one of the devices or use nic teaming ?

I've actually done quite some research on this. My network is switched 100Mbps fdx. (I am in IT too, network actually). It should just work.. Nic config on the windows box is without offloading or teaming. No errors or dropped packets. A mapped share from my Readynas to W2012R2 using SMB is not good. I've tried the W20112 nfs client to a pure NFS share on the NAS. Better, but still unstable. This week I tried iScsi between NAS and W2012. Just about the same as nfs even though this appears as native to the OS.
I really want to use MC19. One reason is DSP, but I like other features too so I will continue trying. I am not sure it is a problem with MC. It may well be something else.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
(26-Jul-2014, 23:50)ogs Wrote:
(26-Jul-2014, 22:58)Georgethesixth Wrote: I'm of the same opinion : files belong on a NAS. It was just for troubleshooting : same files, different interface. Don't jump to conclusions about problems with MC19 and NAS. It is fairly common architecture. I use exactly the same architecture and - apart from white noise issues - it works flawless. You have not enabled jumbo frames on one of the devices or use nic teaming ?

I've actually done quite some research on this. My network is switched 100Mbps fdx. (I am in IT too, network actually). It should just work.. Nic config on the windows box is without offloading or teaming. No errors or dropped packets. A mapped share from my Readynas to W2012R2 using SMB is not good. I've tried the W20112 nfs client to a pure NFS share on the NAS. Better, but still unstable. This week I tried iScsi between NAS and W2012. Just about the same as nfs even though this appears as native to the OS.
I really want to use MC19. One reason is DSP, but I like other features too so I will continue trying. I am not sure it is a problem with MC. It may well be something else.

Ogs,

Did you put your library on a local drive or on the NAS ? i remember having problems when I put the library on the NAS. After moving the library to a local disk, all the problems were gone.

George
(27-Jul-2014, 03:06)Georgethesixth Wrote: Ogs,

Did you put your library on a local drive or on the NAS ? i remember having problems when I put the library on the NAS. After moving the library to a local disk, all the problems were gone.

George

Yes, as I said in post 22 above I have a small library on local disk for test.
Devialetless!
(27-Jul-2014, 08:15)ogs Wrote:

George

I mean library in the MC context. One has the music files and the database. Jriver calls the database the 'library'. All my Flac files are on the NAS, but the library is local. I don't see an issue in this config. There is a two-way sync that is stable.
I did some quick tests this morning : when I put the library on the same raid set as the music files, the system crashes when I do a large write operation and try to play music at the same time. After moving the library (so not the music files) to the local disk, it works perfect. My MC contains approx 10000 files, but the library is only 2 MB, and 32 MB for thumbnails. Hope this helps.
(27-Jul-2014, 09:12)Georgethesixth Wrote:
(27-Jul-2014, 08:15)ogs Wrote:

George

I mean library in the MC context. One has the music files and the database. Jriver calls the database the 'library'. All my Flac files are on the NAS, but the library is local. I don't see an issue in this config. There is a two-way sync that is stable.
I did some quick tests this morning : when I put the library on the same raid set as the music files, the system crashes when I do a large write operation and try to play music at the same time. After moving the library (so not the music files) to the local disk, it works perfect. My MC contains approx 10000 files, but the library is only 2 MB, and 32 MB for thumbnails. Hope this helps.

ah, sorry. I misunderstood. I believe library is stored on local disk. I'll check this today. Thanks for the tip.

edit: I found that Intel now has made available 2012R2 compliant drivers for the NUC i have, DC53427. Chipset drivers, network card driver + new bios. After installing these and with Library and flac files on local SSD I can play via AIR ethernet to my 250 for quite a long time with no crash. MC has a playlist function where it randomly selects 100 tracks. I let this play during the night and got to track 80 before a crash. Next test will be local Library on SSD and flac files on NAS
Devialetless!
(26-Jul-2014, 19:13)ogs Wrote: This is similar to my setup. Intel NUC, Server 2012R2, MC19 - FLAC files on a NAS. Good sound, but the setup crashes all the time (MC). Which file server are you using?

Ogs

My server is Windows Home Server 2011 running on a HP Microserver. Library is local. Tracks are played from memory.

I'll leave others more knowledgeable than me to cover the network side of things (I'm a programmer, not a hardware guy). Initially I had stability issues, but this turned out to be down to a faulty SODIMM. I might be teaching grandma to suck eggs here, but have you tried any hardware diagnostics?

SteveO...
GorbeSE/SME 309/DV XX-2 & Roon Rock (NUC) > D400 > Wilson Benesch Vectors
(28-Jul-2014, 13:07)SteveO... Wrote:
(26-Jul-2014, 19:13)ogs Wrote: This is similar to my setup. Intel NUC, Server 2012R2, MC19 - FLAC files on a NAS. Good sound, but the setup crashes all the time (MC). Which file server are you using?

Ogs

My server is Windows Home Server 2011 running on a HP Microserver. Library is local. Tracks are played from memory.

I'll leave others more knowledgeable than me to cover the network side of things (I'm a programmer, not a hardware guy). Initially I had stability issues, but this turned out to be down to a faulty SODIMM. I might be teaching grandma to suck eggs here, but have you tried any hardware diagnostics?

SteveO...

After I updated the drivers for my Intel NUC yesterday (network, chipset, bios), streaming to AIR ethernet has been stable. Even playing files stored on my NAS is stable. And no white noise either (as has been discussed in another thread) using 7.1.1 and 2.1.2. I've fought this problem for more than a year... with Jriver, USB was unstable and AIR wireless was out of the question. I used Squeezeboxserver (LMS v7.8.x) with SB Touch or squeezelite and USB to have a stable playback system. For a long time I suspected incompatibility between Windows and Samba. Now I hope I've found the problem so I can use my time to play music.
Devialetless!